What's new

Long-time issue: AT&T Wi-Fi

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

lindros2

Regular Contributor
Hey folks - please bear with me. I have three routers at home. ASUS AC-5300 is main, and two AC-66U_B1 are connected as repeaters (not AI_MESH).

Speed is pretty good across the board. We get 350Mbps on the main (close connected) and 150Mbps on the two repeaters. Latency ranges from 5ms to 30ms.

We have AT&T phones, and the signal isn’t very good in my neighborhood. So we use Wi-Fi calling as much as possible (works great on Mac and iPad, btw).

But on our phones, the Wi-Fi calling cuts in and out.
Here’s where it gets weird.
It’s actually *more* reliable on the extenders.

On the main router, I can’t seem to keep AT&T Wi-Fi active on my iPhone 8 Plus and wife’s iPhone Xs. I’ve tried the two 5Ghz bands and 2.4Ghz band. I’ve tweaked just about every setting - regular and advanced. I’ve restricted bands (to the 40 and 80 range), and allowed all three. I’ve turned on/off beamforming (which negatively impacts computers, as many of the settings often do). Xbox on/off. No difference. Rebooted phones and router.

So in summary - why would I have so much trouble on the main, when not on the repeater?
Could interference/noise be an issue?

I don't know the answer to your question, but try turning off both of the repeaters and testing again. If the problem with the AC-5300 is the same then you know it's nothing to do with the repeaters.

My experience with WiFi calling on both AT&T & T Mobil has never been good or reliable.

If good quality five bar cell phone service inside your home is something you value ask AT&T to give or sell you a Cell Spot which creates a mini cell tower in your home. The Cell Spot is connected by Ethernet cable to your router and uses the Internet to backhaul your phone service to AT&T networks. Works very well all the time for both incoming and outbound calls. My T-Mobil cell spot used just 38 Mb of yesterday and my wife and I were home most of the day.

The downside is at least for AT&T they charged me over a $100 for the device while T-Mobil will give you one for just a $25 deposit.

If good quality five bar cell phone service inside your home is something you value ask AT&T to give or sell you a Cell Spot which creates a mini cell tower in your home.

I tried this in the past.
The 3G version was iffy at best.

WiFi calling is great on my computer.

I think it’s an interference thing.

I found that WiFi calls would drop when I walked around my home.

Another big irritation was if I didn't turn off WiFi calling when I left home then my phone would try and connect using WiFi when I walked into someplace where I had connected to WiFi previously and sometimes hotspot connections would be flakey or would require that you would have to agree to their terms of service before getting a connection to the Internet.

I only turn WiFi calling now if I am in a large commercial building where cell signals don't penetrate but they have WiFi and I need my phone to be working.