What's new

Looking at building a NAS

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Skids1

New Around Here
I am looking at building a NAS around the ASUS P5E-VM DO per the article on DIY NAS testing...

C2D E7200
4GB of Memory
3 x 1.5TB Seagates and 1 x WD Raptor as the OS drive running Windows Server 2008. I have 5+ units in my home. 3 are running Vista 64bit. They are my primary use system for file sharing, media playback. I have them connected via a Netgear GS116. Do you still recommend this mainboard or do you recommend another choice due to its age? Thanks for reading.

You might take a look at the ASUS P5N7A-VM or ASUS P5Q-EM as they both have a more recent chipset. But they might be a little overkill. Then again it depends on what you intend to be using the server for. Here is a link to a review of the ASUS P5N7A-VM board... http://www.silentpcreview.com/article892-page1.html

I am not quiet sure why you are deciding to use a WD Raptor as your OS drive on your server. From my point of view it will not do much to benefit your server. It might provide a quicker start up time but the rest of the time it would sit idle. I would recommend something much cheaper unless you already have one that you can't use anywhere else. Just my opinion.

00Roush

I second the point on Raptors. Drive performance isn't the limiting factor. To get above 70 MB/s or so non-cached performance, you need to use an OS that can tranfer in larger than 64 KB chunks, i.e. Vista SP1.