What's new

Looking for a good AP with good signal

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

antisgamo

New Around Here
Hi, in this post I explaned my network project.
What I need here is an help choosing a good AP for the wireless connection in my network.
I have to connect about 8 equipment (phones, laptops and desktops) and I'd like to have a strong connection with good throughput capable of fullHD video streaming.
The room is about 120mq and then there is the garden outside.
I was thinking about the Zyxel NWA1121-NI.

Is it strong enough?

Thanks!

What I need here is an help choosing a good AP for the wireless connection in my network.
I have to connect about 8 equipment (phones, laptops and desktops) and I'd like to have a strong connection with good throughput capable of fullHD video streaming.

Is it strong enough?

Thanks!

I have no experience with that AP. It is single-band only. I've been installing the dual-band EnGenius EAP600 for clients who seek a controllerless solution. Whether you NEED dual-band depends on the radio environment around you.

Is it strong enough?

Thanks!
Don't overlook the fact that WiFi is bi-directional. A million watt signal from an access device won't help a client device with a puny transmitted signal.

The solution for large areas is 1+ access point (AP), where you can buy an AP, or re-purpose any WiFi router to serve as an AP.
Put APs in weak signal areas. Connect to main router via cat5 cable, HomePlug IP over power wiring, or MoCA. See forum for those.

Don't overlook the fact that WiFi is bi-directional. A million watt signal from an access device won't help a client device with a puny transmitted signal.

The solution for large areas is 1+ access point (AP), where you can buy an AP, or re-purpose any WiFi router to serve as an AP.
Put APs in weak signal areas. Connect to main router via cat5 cable, HomePlug IP over power wiring, or MoCA. See forum for those.

This is true, but I don't agree with the hardline stance of "higher power is useless" - it will help improve the downstream rate, which makes the usable distance greater. Will it help absolute distance? NO. Will turning it up too high only cause interference? YES. Will it make bad spots usable? YES, by getting the more important downstream rate up a bit higher.

I understand the dual-band possibility and the fact that more signal strength means more distance, but in my case I think that my area isn't so extended.
Now I have an all-in-one Tp-link wifi router N, declared as 300Mbps, but I have connection problems also between that one and the desktop in the same room.
For the coverage it's good also for the garden.
What it lacks is the ability to keep a connection (ore more) with enough throughput signal and stability.
That's why I'm looking for a business solution to cover the same area (maybe something more) but with more stability and throughput.

I hope I explained...

for the bi-directional problem what adapter for a desktop computer may I use to have a good and strong connection with the AP?
Is it true that same brand is always better?

thanks to all of you for your opinions.

I forgot to say that in the area I don't have lot's of wifi networks, that's why I think a single band (802.11n) can be good for me.

for the bi-directional problem what adapter for a desktop computer may I use to have a good and strong connection with the AP?

It would be better to go with a PCI/PCIe adapter with external antennas rather than a USB one. External antennas are larger than the tiny internal antennas in USB devices. They can also be repositioned to get a better signal.

The more antennas the better - 2 and 3 antenna adapter cards are available. There's more room to separate components on PCI/PCIe cards which allows for more stable operation.

Also PCI/PCIe cards generally have better drivers than USB sticks, which are highly dependent on good quality drivers.

Is it true that same brand is always better?

They are SUPPOSED to work on the same standard and often will work just fine if you mix brands. Incompatibilities severely crippling performance are rare but Tim discovered a major incompatibility here:

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wire...u-and-linksys-ea4500-ea4200v2-wireless-retest

So using the same brand doesn't really matter, they should all work fine with the odd incompatibility cropping up here and there, especially with 802.11ac which is actually still in the draft stages. If you're using 802.11n, the incompatibilities are very rare.

I forgot to say that in the area I don't have lot's of wifi networks, that's why I think a single band (802.11n) can be good for me.

You have to make a decision between range and speed regardless.

5 GHz can have very fast connection speeds but not over a great distance and not through many obstacles.

2.4 GHz will deliver better performance over distance and through obstacles.

I'm not sure what you mean by the room is "120 mq" - square meters? If so, that's huge if it's one room! If it's a house it's a small one like mine. Indoors, 5 GHz works better than 2.4 GHz for me in all locations. If you want outdoor access, 2.4 GHz will probably be better though.

You know if it were me I would only use wireless for devices which move around. If the device is stationary then I would use wire. This will leave more bandwidth available for portable devices and a overall better network design.

Yes, wired is always better - faster and more stable.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!