What's new

Entware Looking for a minimal desktop environment to install via Entware to connect and use over VNC.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

domic

Regular Contributor
The idea is to use a locally installed desktop environment over VNC, (only booted when I need it) so I can run simple GUI software for deduplication and archiving files that require advanced settings too annoying to use man pages and CLI options for every time. This way the router's CPU does all the work without having to rely on another device to run scans of files, move entire directories/zip files from the router, to a PC or smartphone, to compress/decompress it then move it all back via network, and for every folder/zip file you want to go through. When it's hundreds or more folders/zip files it gets pretty time consuming.

Well, unless there are Web GUI packages that can run on plug-ins for different programs etc, I'd be happy to hear about them, like on a Synology NAS Browser desktop layout with movable windows etc.

I don't know of any remote controlled programs that can do such tasks for you over WebGUI/apps, such as rdfind/jdupes/7z/tar etc? Any ideas?

Last edited:
Sounds like you want to have a pc that you can VNC into and the pc has access to your samba on the router. You want to deduplicate files on the samba drive. You could use iscsi that’s the only way I know that will allow you to interact with the file system directly. Samba on the router won’t be able to do this remotely. You might be able to find software that looks for duplicates, but nothing that will control the file system.

You could use the remote computer to access ssh and input commands tho.

Personally I installed Ubuntu Linux on my intel cpu based ASUSTOR nas and it handles the file system btrfs, raid, and samba for better flexibility opposed to using samba over usb on the router.

Last edited:
As the previous post noted (before the edit) Entware doesn't contain any desktop environments, like X11. Consequently there aren't any graphical applications either. What "simple GUI software for deduplication" did you have in mind?

As the previous post noted (before the edit) Entware doesn't contain any desktop environments, like X11. Consequently there aren't any graphical applications either. What "simple GUI software for deduplication" did you have in mind?

Yeah I thought I misunderstood the question. I was at first under the assumption he wanted gui desktop environment on the router. But I think he’s more just wanting to offload the process of deduplicating his samba drive that’s on his router to a pc. And gui just happens to be easier to use for him.

Something like FSlint or Czkawka (the first Linux GUI software I found online.)

The router isn't Linux. So unless you can find some software that's been ported to Entware (with a web interface, like Transmission has) you're out of luck. This is assuming you're wanting to run this on the router and not a PC.

Looks like FSlint doesn’t use specific deduplication functions of certain filesystems so being it’s own standalone thing to scan for duplicate files it should work over samba. You’d need to use a Linux pc separate from the router to run it.