What's new

Looking for a Router (Too Indecisive)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Ravage811

New Around Here
Hey Everyone,

Looking to purchase a router but too indecisive on what to get. The last router purchase I ever made was the Linksys WRT54G. That served me well as to where I have suffered with a 7MB DSL plan via Centurylink the past 10 years.

Reason to buy a new Router:

This past year we finally switched over to Xfinity, and currently leasing their ARRIS TG1682G Gateway. Although that gateway has served us well, WiFi speeds and signal have been great. But overall I would like to get away from leasing equipment and purchase my own, and on top of that it seems like every time I turn my back something else is getting added to the network, and the WiFi network is starting to take a toll. We currently have up to 13 devices currently on the network although not all of them are actively using the network at the same given time. Although We can have up to 7 devices active at 1 time.

Current Environment:
House: 3500 sq ft Rambler (Unfinished Basement)
Bandwidth: 200/10 Xfinity Blast Pro
ARRIS TG1682G Gateway (Everything Terminates in the basement) Have ran a couple Cat 5e drops to the master bedroom, and family room
1 -Desktop computer (Hardwired) this is used as a media server such as iTunes library for music, streaming movies for an Apple Tv, and runs plex) moderate gaming, wife works from home and uses a soft phone that connects to her company via a vpn.
1- Laptop when wife uses it for work she hard wires in most of the time
1- Work laptop (mine) usually it is in my work bag unless I need it, or I am working from home, then connect via VPN to my work.
2- iPads (another one on the way) used for browsing internet, and or streaming netflix, hulu, mlbTv, and etc.
3-iPhones same as iPads
4- Gaming consoles (PS 3, Nintendo Wii U, 2 Nintendo 3ds, and a Switch on the way)
Direct Tv is in the house so have a mini genie and the genie that both connect to the wireless
2 Streaming Boxes (Roku, and Apple Tv)
1- Echo
Nest Thermostat
Skybell (Doorbell)
Arlo security camera system

What I am looking for in a Router:

• QOS is a must
  • Parental Settings: Right now we have been using xfi with xfinity, I like that you can set schedules for a device.
  • Being able to track data usage, and see a graph
  • Signal strength
Routers I am Considering:

• Asus RT- AC88U (Top choice, although reviews of the 5ghz range dropping out and becoming non-existent has me second guessing, would love to load Merlin's firmware on this and play around with it, the 8 ports on this our intriguing until I start stubbing in my basement, and move the equipment to the utility room)
  • Asus RT-AC86U (Like the price, might be too new, and not stable enough for my liking?)
  • Nighthawk X4s
  • Nighthawk X6
I know with technology, it is tough to future proof, because it just changes to quick for my liking. Would like to be able to find one that will last me 4-5 years. The kids are still young enough that the network is not being taxied. But give that two more years and I think things will be different.

Anyways thanks for your guys's help......

Last edited:
Buy a cheaper smaller router and buy APs to distribute across the house. Let the router route...and let the APs handle the WiFi. You already have the Ethernet drops and as you add more devices, your fight for airspace will get even worse. This also means that as WiFi technology improves, you don't have buy a new BHR and take the house down while you tinker with it.

The X4S has the best 5Ghz performance/range on your list, the Qualcomm QoS is pretty good and it runs much cooler than the 88U and may cover your whole house on either band depending on building materials. The 86U looks promising from what I’ve heard about it but it’s fairly new and I haven’t personally used it to comment on its performance, but I agree with Michael, you are better off with APs.

Last edited:
The X4S has the best 5Ghz performance/range on your list and runs much cooler than the 88U and may cover your whole house on either band depending on building materials. The 86U looks promising from what I’ve heard about it but it’s fairly new and I haven’t personally used it to comment on its performance, but I agree with Michael, you are better off with APs.

Thanks for the replies guys.....

I have thought about placing AP’s throughout the house. Coverage hasn’t been an issue with past modems and gateways. With my current leased gateway I have from xfinity it covers the house and my property pretty well in my garage my strength is pretty good. After researching the x4s I have no doubt I will have excellent coverage plus if needed they have their new plugin extenders.

@avtella thanks to you on previous posts. I am going ahead with the x4s. For me the biggest thing I need is QOS, the only disappointment with this router for me is the incompatibility with Disney circle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!