What's new

Looking for Advice

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RaksiA

New Around Here
Hello All,

I'm in a Small Office, and I try to improve the network architecture and security a little bit.

At the moment we have one network level with approx. 20 laptops, 20 static devices (incuding storage, access points, printers, servers etc.) and we have a project area where the number of computers change all the time.

The first thing is my boss' requirement. Put the project area one level lower on a different subnet to filter the project specific data flow out of the main network. I'd like to set up a system with a good WAN to LAN/LAN to WAN speed, to reach the storage devices on the main level from the project level and access the project computers from the notebooks backwards.

The second thing is the router between the office and the Internet. This is a home-level old router, and I think it is not engough for our office. The LAN to WAN speed isn't an issue, because we have only 4 MBit via microwave, but I feel it's unsecure. We have some services on a dedicated server: OpenVPN, SSH, and at the moment we don't use VoIP (but I think we will).

The limitation is that the company wants Cisco equipments. The budget is not set at the moment, so I try to give options to my boss.

For the first part I prefer the RV042G or RV180 routers, but I'm a bit comfused about the second part.
The RV042G is also an option, but I'm also thinking about the SRP541W, the 892FSP and the ISA550 or ISA570 models also. I know they are much more expensive, but I don't know do they worth the higher price?

What is your opinion?

Thanks!

Last edited: