What's new

Looking for expert advices - open vpn client seems to cause WAN instability ...

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

GSpock

Hello folks,
all of a sudden, my RT-AC87U cause some instability on my WAN line (leading to ISP downgrading line, but that is another story) although it has been working with the same config for quite some time now.
I have attached a part of syslog file and looking for some advices here. My RT-87U is connected to my ISP modem/router via its wan port and connects via pppoe. In the meantime, I have stopped the 2 vpn client ...
Thanks for your help,
GS

PS: Modem hang up at 02:04:21

Last edited:
Doesn't seem to me that the OpenVPN clients are the cause of your modem being disconnected. Prior to the modem hangup, it appears they are attempting to restart, suggesting the modem is already in trouble, and they are just victims.

And logically it doesn't make sense to blame the OpenVPN clients either. They are just processes that happen to be using the WAN, just like anything else.

You mentioned having shutdown the 2nd OpenVPN client. Are you suggesting you don't have this problem when that particular OpenVPN client isn't active?

Thanks for taking time .
I use single WAN.
Because I suspected something wrong with openvpn clients, I shut both of them. The point is that when I activate client 1, my WAN line deteriorate to a point that the modem reboots ... I can say that because my line has been very stable those last years. openvpn client 2 is not causing the issue, I ran it alone for several weeks and no issue. Since a few days I have re-activated client 1 and this morning I can see that my download rate is divided by 2 when passing via the ASUS router. If I plug a cable directly into my ISP modem/router, I get 100% .... (my ASUS is connected via its WAN port to my ISP via PPPoe and thus gets a second public IP).
I can only then get back to full DL speed by stopping client 1 AND rebooting the ASUS ... :rolleyes:
I was thinking may be it is related to the fact that client one gets private IP like 10.24.0.x and that my ASUS router gets a private from ISP that is 10.24.97.178 ...

Side question: can all the openvpn clients on the ASUS router use the same port (accessing different servers) or should they all use unique one ?

Rgds,
GS

Last edited:
Side question: can all the openvpn clients on the ASUS router use the same port (accessing different servers) or should they all use unique one ?

The destination port can be the same. Even the server IP/domain can be the same. Just so long as your VPN provider permits multiple connections within the same account (most have some limit). What makes each connection unique from a networking perspective is the *source* port. That's selected arbitrarily from the ephemeral ports.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!