What's new

Looking for feedback: Traffic Analyzer

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RMerlin

Asuswrt-Merlin dev
Hi everyone,

The Traffic Analyzer found on the RT-AC56/RT-AC68/RT-AC87/RT-AC3200 is still a work-in-progress from Asus. While the basic functionality works, there are a number of issues left (Asus are already aware of some of them).

I am starting this thread to we can collect feedback as to the bugs and other issues currently found in it. Please reply to this thread with your findings - I will make sure that the feedback reaches Asus's R&D.

Make sure you specify which browser you are using.

One thing to note: it can take one or two hours before data starts appearing on it after you enabled it. This is currently normal - just be patient.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Known/reported issues:

• Traffic occasionally shown as being negative. (known issue, Asus already working on it, resolution expected within the next 2 or 3 releases)
  • Initial load of the page is very slow (Asus currently working on improving on this, timeframe for updates are within the next 2 or 3 releases)
  • Traffic increases when you change from Weekly to Daily (known issue, Asus is working on it)
  • Empty traffic.db (Already fixed by Asus in 4950, the fix should come to Asuswrt-Merlin once I merge that newer code)

Last edited:
Hi,

I have started the Traffic Analyzer 4 hours ago, but still nothing shown. Looking into /jffs shows an empty traffic.db:
Code:
Apr 10 16:31:59 rc_service: httpd 735:notify_rc restart_bwdpi_monitor
-rw-r--r--   1 admin   root  0 Mar  8 20:32 traffic.db

Apr 10 20:11:08 rc_service: httpd 735:notify_rc restart_bwdpi_monitor
-rw-r--r--  1 admin  root  0 Apr 10 20:11 traffic.db
Funny to see that it was created a month ago and nothing added...

Now I stopped the Traffic Analyzer and removed the empty traffic.db file.
When re-enabling Traffic Analyzer it creates a new empty traffic.db.

Let's see how things go now... :rolleyes:

Update:
With the kind support from Vanic (ASUS SW R&D for AiProtection) I could enable the Traffic Analyzer on my AC68U router:
You can input "rc rc_service restart_wrs" via telnet / ssh. Because of traffic analyzer depends on TrendMicro's DPI engine, we need to active it. After enable that, you can use "lsmod | grep IDP" to check dpi engine is alive or not. If still not to enable, please active dpi engine via AiProtection's any fucntion.
Code:
chief@RT-AC68U:/tmp/home/root# rc rc_service restart_wrs

chief@RT-AC68U:/tmp/home/root# lsmod | grep IDP
IDP                   529262  1 bw_forward

chief@RT-AC68U:/jffs# ls -lah traffic.db
-rw-r--r--    1 admin    root        6.0K Apr 11 08:00 traffic.db
With this approch I can see some traffic (starting from 1h ago).

With kind regards
Joe :cool:

Last edited:
Progressively gets slower and slower, to the point of taking 45 seconds for the initial screen to populate, I probably had about 3-4 weeks of data at that point.

When changing from Daily/Weekly/Monthly, the apps pie chart label changes, but the data doesn't.

If you change Display for to Apps, and then change Show by, the display reverts to what Display for Router would show, although Apps is still selected.

Changing to Apps, and then changing All Clients to a specific App, is bringing up a zeroed screen - no traffic in graph, no listings in the client screen at the bottom, which by the way, still has an Apps Name column heading.

This is on an 87U running 378.52.

Progressively gets slower and slower, to the point of taking 45 seconds for the initial screen to populate, I probably had about 3-4 weeks of data at that point.

Performance is one of the things Asus are currently working on. A recent release improved memory usage, they are now focusing more on the query performances. This is one of the issues they hope to gradually improve upon over the course of the next two or three firmware releases, as it requires extensive changes to the underlying code.

Note that my firmware does not currently use the very latest version - the required files were missing in their GPL 4950 release, so I have to wait for them to issue an updated archive with those files.

Weekly Traffic size is increasing always if i change Daily/Weekly/Monthly back and forth, i mean it starts at 10gb and if a go from daily to weekly it goes to 20 gb and then if a go back to daily it's not 10gb like it was before it 30gb

If possible, also mention the browser you are using when reporting issues, in case those could be browser-specific.

It would be nice to have a supported way of backup and restoration of the data along with "trimming" the data. Through the UI.

Weekly Traffic size is increasing always if i change Daily/Weekly/Monthly back and forth, i mean it starts at 10gb and if a go from daily to weekly it goes to 20 gb and then if a go back to daily it's not 10gb like it was before it 30gb

Same here, the Daily Traffic is increasing if you click on the Show by: Download and Upload and again and again. It was on 9.7GB when i just login on my router. And then start playing around with the Show by: Now my Daily Traffic says 106GB :D

Firefox 37.0.1
Google Chrome 41.0.2272.118 m
Internet Explorer 11
Firmware: 378.52.2

EDIT:

When i login with Google Chrome into my router. The Daily Traffic is back to 9.7 GB
But is the same, when i start changing the Show By: The Daily traffic start increasing again.
The same with IE to.

Last edited:
I'd like to see the sample traffic analyzer screen gone when Traffic Analyzer is not enabled. Based on the number of past posts, it confuses a lot of people. Heck, the first time I used it, I got a little confused myself.

The sample screen is not the issue though. :)

Especially when it says Sample. ;)

I updated the second post with Asus's answers.

Keep them coming - while these are already known by Asus so far, you guys might still find some additional issues they aren't ware of yet ;)

I'd like to see the sample traffic analyzer screen gone when Traffic Analyzer is not enabled. Based on the number of past posts, it confuses a lot of people. Heck, the first time I used it, I got a little confused myself.

I agree with that. I added the notice that this is sample data to help reduce the confusion. Asus chose to display sample data to make the webpage more informative as to the type of information it would report once it's enabled and the database has started filling up.

I'll see where Asus heads with future releases. If they don't remove the sample data, there's a chance I might take a look at removing it from at least my firmware.

I agree with that. I added the notice that this is sample data to help reduce the confusion. Asus chose to display sample data to make the webpage more informative as to the type of information it would report once it's enabled and the database has started filling up.

I'll see where Asus heads with future releases. If they don't remove the sample data, there's a chance I might take a look at removing it from at least my firmware.
Or they could just put "sample data" next to all the devices name.

If I switch the date to try and see previous dates, that chart looks right but the top 5 client list only has two clients which is totally wrong. This is on ie11 or chrome.

I have found that if you adjust any of the settings / filters it all goes south from there. The default view works fine, but nothing else.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!