What's new

Looking for feedback: Traffic Analyzer

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Seems to be, is there a way I can verify if the CTF is actually running / working via a shell command?

Performance is one of the things Asus are currently working on. A recent release improved memory usage, they are now focusing more on the query performances. This is one of the issues they hope to gradually improve upon over the course of the next two or three firmware releases, as it requires extensive changes to the underlying code.

Note that my firmware does not currently use the very latest version - the required files were missing in their GPL 4950 release, so I have to wait for them to issue an updated archive with those files.

My concern with Traffic Analyzer is memory usage. On 378.52, when I installed the firmware and reset everything the idle memory usage was around 63MB. After three days the memory usage had crept up to 105MB. When I turned off Traffic Analyzer and hit apply the memory usage immediately dropped back to around 70MB. So if I left Traffic Analyzer on for a longer period I don't know how much more memory it would have used up. You might have seen my posts reporting the router locking up with high RAM usage on the 378.51 thread. I am beginning to think that Traffic Analyzer was the problem.

do we know why the ac56 (older than ac66) has this feature but not ac66? is it due to the better cpu?

do we know why the ac56 (older than ac66) has this feature but not ac66? is it due to the better cpu?

That's incorrect. The RT-AC66 is older than the RT-AC56, it was released around 8-10 months earlier. The RT-AC56 CPU is nearly three times more powerful than the RT-AC66.

ok so the ac56 is newer.

but still the same question, do you know why this is limited to only the 3/4 newest models?

also can you be kind enough to show us peeps who dont have the feature a screenshot of it? thanks.

ok so the ac56 is newer.

but still the same question, do you know why this is limited to only the 3/4 newest models?

also can you be kind enough to show us peeps who dont have the feature a screenshot of it? thanks.

Read the ASUS press release..as they ultimately decide what closed source features are to be made available for their products presumably based on licencing with third party vendors.

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/new-trendmicro-dpi-engine-announced-for-other-models.19288/

http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/threads/traffic-monitor-incorrect-data.22224/#post-167459

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

The Traffic Analyzer found on the RT-AC56/RT-AC68/RT-AC87/RT-AC3200 is still a work-in-progress from Asus. While the basic functionality works, there are a number of issues left (Asus are already aware of some of them).

I am starting this thread to we can collect feedback as to the bugs and other issues currently found in it. Please reply to this thread with your findings - I will make sure that the feedback reaches Asus's R&D.

Make sure you specify which browser you are using.

One thing to note: it can take one or two hours before data starts appearing on it after you enabled it. This is currently normal - just be patient.

Thanks!
Always when I try to access Traffic Analyzer option since 378.51 and left the page my router stuck in the page "your router ip changed"etc. =/

I updated now to 378.52_2 and it still happens. My router is AC68U.

Always when I try to access Traffic Analyzer option since 378.51 and left the page my router stuck in the page "your router ip changed"etc. =/

Factory reset your FW?

Hi,

Two observations (after 2 days running Traffic Analyzer):
  1. The shown traffic is very "limited" - it does not show VPN, Torrent, etc. - which is major part of the traffic via my main router.
  2. The client list is quite unreliable: First of all some clients show up multiple times (e.g. on of my Sonos players listed 6 times with different traffic peaks and some overlaps) and than somtimes the names are forgotten and only MAC addresses shown - but some of the clients come back with names later...

With kind regards
Joe

AC68U (Merlin 378.51) running in AP mode / Browser : IE 11

Traffic Statistics turned on for last 7 days but no data displayed.
Traffic Monitor - only Real-time works from when I go to the page, changing settings give no data.

Enable the JFFS partition (that was mentioned in a couple of posts in the past).

AC68U (Merlin 378.51) running in AP mode / Browser : IE 11

Traffic Statistics turned on for last 7 days but no data displayed.
Traffic Monitor - only Real-time works from when I go to the page, changing settings give no data.

Wrong topic. Traffic Analyzer is not the same thing as the Traffic Monitor.

Traffic monitoring won't work in AP mode because you are not routing any traffic as an AP, you are merely bridged to the rest of the network. The AP has no concept of WAN or LAN.

My concern with Traffic Analyzer is memory usage. On 378.52, when I installed the firmware and reset everything the idle memory usage was around 63MB. After three days the memory usage had crept up to 105MB. When I turned off Traffic Analyzer and hit apply the memory usage immediately dropped back to around 70MB. So if I left Traffic Analyzer on for a longer period I don't know how much more memory it would have used up. You might have seen my posts reporting the router locking up with high RAM usage on the 378.51 thread. I am beginning to think that Traffic Analyzer was the problem.

This is normal. The 35 MB difference you see is about what the Traffic Analyzer would use once it's enabled (along with the DPI engine).

If your TOTAL available memory is low, it's not caused by the DPI engine but by other things. Most likely they are buffers allocated by the Linux kernel to cache your plugged disks - that memory is dynamically allocated and freed as needed.

The total amount of free memory is kinda meaningless in Linux, you have to take into account the amount of buffered memory - that memory gets freed whenever a process actually NEED that memory. Better to allocate unused memory to buffers than to leave it completely unused, which would be a complete waste of resources.

The same thing applies (more or less) to Windows BTW. Free memory is meangliness, you have to also consider the amount of memory used by the cache.

I have noticed if i switch from say daily internet usage to weekly and then back to daily that the internet usage numbers seem to double each time. If that makes any sense lol

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!