What's new

Looking for home-based business NAS recommendation

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

thiggins

Mr. Easy
Staff member
[Posting this for a reader who is having login trouble]

I've got a home-based business, which utilizes five PCs networked together (not connected to the internet), with one of the PCs designated as the "server" for database files (Access) with simultaneous multi-user use, spreadsheets (Excel) and documents (Word). The PCs currently use Windows 98SE as their operating system. I am upgrading to new PCs that use Windows XP Pro as the OS; also upgrading the software to MS Office 2003 (then eventually Office 2007). The new PCs have gigabit ethernet NICs to use with the new Netgear gigabit router -- the network will remain a closed one, with no connection to the internet. I also have an HP PrintServer to use with the new PCs, so I have no specific need for an NAS that has print server capabilities -- with the exception of having a general concern that there being no conflict with my HP PrintServer, should the NAS have print server capabilities. For backing up files, I am using a flash drive, which goes off-site with someone at the end of each day. I've just recently become aware of NAS devices, and they appear to be a good alternative to having one of my PCs as a designated server, though I must admit to knowing and understanding very little about them at this point.
In general, I would be looking for an NAS that:
1) is very simple and easy to set up and maintain;
2) allows me to create mapped network drives (e.g., G:\, H:\, I:\ ), such as I am able to do in Windows Explorer;
3) has a gigabit ethernet connection;
4) has 7200rpm as it's hard drive(s) -- as opposed to a BYOD unit;
5) has a second drive (or option to easily install a second drive) for RAID redundancy;

6) allows me to backup at a PC through Windows Explorer onto a flash drive ... I'd also like to have the option of having a port on the NAS where I could hook up an external USB HD for additional file backup capability;

7) has a power-saving mode, so the HD goes idle when not in use;
8) finally, it would also be nice to have the capability to set up User/Group permissions for the mapped drives on the NAS, though not absolutely necessary, as I can always do that in Windows.

I am considering the NAS devices listed below:

~ Netgear
ReadyNAS Duo (#RND2150)
~ LaCie 2big Network (#301257U)

Not having any prior experience with NAS, and admittedly finding quite a bit of the technology rather confusing, I was wondering whether anyone had comments/suggestions regarding these units vis-a-vis my use of the device as a replacement for a dedicated PC as a server in conjunction with my software, as well as my above-stated device requirements. Any assistance/insight anyone could give would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks much,
Miles

You can create mapped drives with any NAS that supports Windows networking (SMB/CIFS), and all do.

BYOD just means you provide the drives. You can install any compatible drive.
Most all NASes (except for the Buffalo Mini) that come with drives uses 7200RPM
SATA.

I'd say that the ReadyNAS Duo would work fine for you.

The LaCie's I've reviewed are a bit wonky in operation. Also drive replacement would be a hassle.

You can replace / upgrade the drives in the ReadyNAS just fine.

Thanks.

Thanks Tim. I do appreciate all your help, including the posting. For whatever reason, I still couldn't log-in with the MS browser, but downloaded Safari, and have had no problems. Have a great weekend!

All the best,

Miles

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!