What's new

Home networking

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dlandiss

Very Senior Member
Not exactly router-related, but the folks here know way more about home LANs than any other group I have seen (including the Microsoft help forum), and I trust your advice.

Has anyone found a method that allows Windows 11 PCs to communicate with each other on a LAN? I was able to transfer files between Win 10 PCs because each of them was reachable in the "Network" section of File Explorer. I have enabled "PC Discovery" for all of the machines (1 Win 10 and 2 Win 11), and also marked the hard drives as "shared" -- but only the Win 10 PC appears in "Network", neither Win 11 device.

I have also tried adding the by using the File Explorer "Search" option with the syntax "\\PCNAME." no go.

Thanks!

One thing that comes to mind is that the Windows 11 PCs have their network profile set as public rather than private.
Thank you, I will try that.
Nope, both set to Private. And:
Shared01.jpg

How about using the PC's IP address instead of its name. So Windows-R to bring up the Run box and then \\192.168.1.44 or whatever your IP address is.

Does your router have a Master Browser setting? If so, turn that on and then reboot all the machines, and see what happens. It might be worth finding out which machine is currently operating as the MB as well.

Does your router have a Master Browser setting? If so, turn that on and then reboot all the machines, and see what happens. It might be worth finding out which machine is currently operating as the MB as well.
This is what I mean when I say Windows PCs are chatty. This happens in domains also. But Microsoft server wins the election over workstations. And this happens on all networks with Windows PCs.

This has been depreciated since Windows 7 and disabled by default in Windows 10 and 11. While it can't hurt to try reenabling support on the PC's it shouldn't really be necessary to discover other Windows computers.

This has been depreciated since Windows 7 and disabled by default in Windows 10 and 11. While it can't hurt to try reenabling support on the PC's it shouldn't really be necessary to discover other Windows computers.
And it was scheduled for complete removal I believe this year in a future Windows 11 update.

I agree, but this is Windows networking which in my experience is a bit of a black art requiring a live chicken and some candles.;)

I have stumbled across a possible solution. Digging deeper into the menus I found that there are at least 4 more screens that affect sharing (see attachments) besides the common "make this private and discoverable." Appropriate entries into all 4 seems to have done the job.

There is one anomaly -- "vaclav2_C" in screen #1 is actually an earlier name for that drive. Later I renamed it dropping the 2 but the sharing still seems to work. I didn't have a live chicken handy but the candles helped.:cool:

Thanks again for all of the ideas.

DiscProperties1.jpgDiscProperties2.jpg

DiscShare1.jpgDiscShare2.jpg

I have stumbled across a possible solution. Digging deeper into the menus I found that there are at least 4 more screens that affect sharing (see attachments) besides the common "make this private and discoverable." Appropriate entries into all 4 seems to have done the job.

There is one anomaly -- "vaclav2_C" in screen #1 is actually an earlier name for that drive. Later I renamed it dropping the 2 but the sharing still seems to work. I didn't have a live chicken handy but the candles helped.:cool:

Thanks again for all of the ideas.

View attachment 55753View attachment 55754

View attachment 55755View attachment 55756
I am not sure everyone should have full control, maybe just read write, and change. It seems safer to me, especially if it is the C: drive.