What's new

Looking for new 802.11n router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

beafet

New Around Here
Hey all, long time lurker here.

I am trying to decide on a new router for my house. Here is my situation:

Currently I have a D-Link DIR-615 (C1).

We are looking for something for standard internet surfing, and streaming video.

We have the following devices using wireless (in order of use):

1. Insignia NS-WBRDVD Wifi Blu-Ray Player (mostly used for Netflix)

2. HP Dm1z laptop connected to TV - We use this for Hulu and Amazon video, as well as occasionally Youtube videos or other streaming sites (church sermons and whatnot). Also used for Skype.

3. HTC Droid Incredible 2

4. Motorola Droid X

5. Asus EEE PC 1000HE netbook

6. Asus TF300t tablet

7. Two Ipod Touch 4th gens

8. Xbox 360 S

9. Kindle 3rd gen (wifi - only)

Now, AFAIK, all of these only work on the 2.4 Ghz band, so there is no ability to use dual-band, unfortunately. We live in a two story townhouse with metal framing, and according to the WiFi analyzer app on my cell phone, there are a lot of networks around us. Not too mention garage doors, microwaves, cordless phones, etc. Oh well.
I am not opposed to a dual-band router, especially if it lasts a long time, because some day we may have devices that can make use of that. But for now, I think it is most likely just an additional expense.

Also, we will be moving in under a year, so who knows what the new place will be like in terms of construction, layout, etc.

Would something with multiple antennae help?

What router would you recommend that is up-to-date, reliable, has IPv6 support, does very well on the 2.4ghz band (both range and speed), includes ethernet ports (preferably gigabit), and costs less than $100? If I had $115, I would probably buy the Asus RT-n56u, so the higher the cost, the higher the performance would need to be to justify it.

I am okay with refurbs, etc. Also okay with putting DD-WRT on something if needed.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
With the gear you have, why replace it, if the router is working fine?

With our current router, it keeps disconnecting from the Internet (wirelessly only, still works fine wired) and when it is able to connect it has to keep buffering on NetFlix and Hulu.

Go and buy another router and test the theory out for yourself. Router older than 2 years I would replace it. Depends on how you use it. Most of the lower prices ones for $50 can't handle heavy gaming traffic, full scale downloading daily and streaming music and video along with WiFi. Spend $130 more gets you a better router. Spend more than that if you want it to last longer. But make sure it has more than 1 year warranty if you go that route. I had the DIR-615 A1 and C1. A1 was quick but wasn't supported and dropped the connections too much. B1 and C1 were improve but weren't that quick.

If you like DLINK stick with them.

I don't particularly care for D-Link.

Would a MIMO router help, possibly?

Also, anyone have thoughts on the TP-Link TL-WR1043ND for my needs?

Last edited:
Would a MIMO router help, possibly?

Also, anyone have thoughts on the TP-Link TL-WR1043ND for my needs?

The 615 is a MIMO router - 2 by 2

If you're thinking about replacing the D-Link - consider the Buffalo WHR-HP-G300N - less than $50 on Amazon right now (in the US)...

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002WBV2T8/?tag=snbforums-20

I tend to be Apple centric on my router preferences, and I do like the build quality, SW quality, and performance of the Buffalo equipment.

Cradlepoint is another option... I've worked with them in the past, they do good work, and they've had good comments from several members of the community here.

Last edited:
TP-LINK TL-WR1043ND Ultimate Wireless N Gigabit Router
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002YLAUU8/?tag=snbforums-20

Can use stock ROM (firmware) or DD-WRT if you really need to go that route.
This above is only $53 some places even less.

Buy one as the main router
two more if you need APs.
You can set the WiFi to 100%
You can set the speed from 0 to 300mpbs
You can change 802.11x to what you need
Might have more than enough settings.

3T x 3R design.

CPU: 400MHz Atheros Chip
RAM: 32MB
Port: 5x Gig
Buffering: 832KB
USB: Yes
SMA: Yes
ANT: 3dBi can be changed to 5dBi each
Amp: 100mW
WDS: Yes

The 615 is a MIMO router - 2 by 2

If you're thinking about replacing the D-Link - consider the Buffalo WHR-HP-G300N - less than $50 on Amazon right now (in the US)...

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002WBV2T8/?tag=snbforums-20

I tend to be Apple centric on my router preferences, and I do like the build quality, SW quality, and performance of the Buffalo equipment.

Cradlepoint is another option... I've worked with them in the past, they do good work, and they've had good comments from several members of the community here.

Hmmm... not seeing the 615 including MIMO in the specs... http://dlink.com/us/en/home-solutions/support/product/dir-615

TP-LINK TL-WR1043ND Ultimate Wireless N Gigabit Router
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002YLAUU8/?tag=snbforums-20

Can use stock ROM (firmware) or DD-WRT if you really need to go that route.
This above is only $53 some places even less.

Buy one as the main router
two more if you need APs.
You can set the WiFi to 100%
You can set the speed from 0 to 300mpbs
You can change 802.11x to what you need
Might have more than enough settings.

3T x 3R design.

CPU: 400MHz Atheros Chip
RAM: 32MB
Port: 5x Gig
Buffering: 832KB
USB: Yes
SMA: Yes
ANT: 3dBi can be changed to 5dBi each
Amp: 100mW
WDS: Yes

The only downside I really see with this router is the lack of IPv6, which isn't even a necessity currently. Like dual-band, it would only be useful in terms of future-proofing for me.

So, between this one, and the Buffalo mentioned in the thread, which would you buy, if you were in my shoes?

Thanks, by the way, all of you, for all your help!

tl-wr1043nd factory firmware is flakey -- use dd-wrt instead....

As the subject says, the TL-WR1043ND is notorious for it's bad firmware (even when updated). It requires frequent restarts because it locks up.

After flashing it to the open source DD-WRT, it's been rock-solid-stable -- not requiring restarts in over 2 months.:D Follow the instructions on the DD-WRT site and you'll get great results with this inexpensive router with gigabit ports.

Cheers!

As the subject says, the TL-WR1043ND is notorious for it's bad firmware (even when updated). It requires frequent restarts because it locks up.

After flashing it to the open source DD-WRT, it's been rock-solid-stable -- not requiring restarts in over 2 months.:D Follow the instructions on the DD-WRT site and you'll get great results with this inexpensive router with gigabit ports.

Cheers!

Which DD-WRT build exactly? I never had luck with DD-WRT on any of my TL-WR1043ND (I have 3 of them).

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!