What's new

Looking for non-raid simple NAS solution

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ajainy

New Around Here
My home setup is something like this..
10/100 linksys router
2 laptop with wireless 802.11g (not n). They both r being used over the wireless network
Planning to buy PS3.

I need a NAS type solution for all my multimedia files. So that both laptops (windows vista & windows XP) can share it.. Also planning to use with itunes.
So basically, i am looking for multimedia NAS type solution w/o buying new 1000mb/s router. (if i am going to use 802.11g, then it doesn't make difference, does it?)

So far, i have looked at buffalo linkstations or simpletech.
What you guys recommend? My budget is around 150 bucks including HD (even 250 gb is more than enough).
And i don't think, i need to go for solution like D-Link DNS 323 or Zyxel NSA-220. As i don';t need raid & my budget.

But still your recommendations, and hints to help me decide, i will really appreciate it.

There is something like some media certified product for streaming. does it make difference, if i have stream media to PS3 or my laptop?

If you are connecting to the NAS via wireless, performance doesn't matter, since the wireless connection is going to be the limiting factor (and very slow).

You might want to choose something with an iTunes server, so that you don't have to keep a computer on.

Actually, the D-Link DNS-321 would be a good solution, even though it is RAID. You can use only one drive if you want.

thanks thiggins,
I have also thinking, to invest good NAS device like DNS-321 or 323.
I have these options
1. Buy apple airport express and nice USB drive (as airport makes usb drive available as network drive) (total around $175)
or
2. Buy DNS-323 and add one drive for now. total around $225
or
3. Buy networked shared drive from Buffalo.. total less than 100 bucks..

Last edited:
1. Buy apple airport express and nice USB drive (as airport makes usb drive available as network drive) (total around $175)

This is ok if you're ok with slow performance.

2. Buy DNS-323 and add one drive for now. total around $225
This would have much better performance than option 1.

3. Buy networked shared drive from Buffalo.. total less than 100 bucks..
Where can you get a Buffalo NAS for under $100?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!