Looking for replacement of power hungry SAN

• ATTENTION! As of November 1, 2020, you are not able to reply to threads 6 months after the thread is opened if there are more than 500 posts in the thread.
    Threads will not be locked, so posts may still be edited by their authors.
    Just start a new thread on the topic to post if you get an error message when trying to reply to a thread.

ddaenen1

This probably going to be my last post on this. I finally found time to pull the server out of the rack and swap out the X8SIL-F motherboard and X3430 CPU with the newer X9SCM-F and E3-1230. It booted instantly but i did experience network issues as the NIC's on the X9 are different from the X8 and since i was running the existing install, that didn't go down well. Doing a new install initially fixed this, but when uploading my config into TrueNAS, it was messed up again. Took me some time to figure out how i could get it to work through the shell. Now all is up and running really well. I am quite surprised with the noticeable performance improvement from the E3-1230 compared to the X3430. Both Plex and Nextcloud seem to running smoother and especially when playing 4K UHD movies through plex, the difference is huge. Where previously, a lot of buffering was needed and the film sometimes stopped to buffer again, all this is completely gone now.

I think i will leave this to run now for some time, unless ofcourse i bump into a Supermicro X11 motherboard and matching CPU for cheap :D

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!