What's new

Looking for solutions...

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

flyboynm

Regular Contributor
I have just been "volunteered" by my Mom to fly back to the US and help solve a network issue for a mobile veterinary clinic and I really do not have a great solution in mind. I am turning to you all to see if there is any possible way that you can think of doing something other than the kludged together solution I am thinking. I am not being paid for this work and the budget is "tight" (the less spent the better).

Needs:
  • T-Mobile Hotspot
  • 2 printers shared wirelessly (cannot be shared via sharing from a laptop) - 1 via USB and the other be connected via CAT-5. Printers are Dymo Labelwriter (for prescription bottles) and a HP Officejet that is used to print invoices, etc
  • 3 or more laptops connected on a network
  • 2 or more tablets used to process credit card payments
  • wireless router without antennas (previous routers with antennas have had them broken off due to accidents)

What I am thinking:

• Get a wireless router that has 1 or 2 USB ports that supports WDS and/or some form of "client" mode so that it can connect to the Hotspot (does the Linksys EA6300 support this?)
  • Have the printers connected via USB and/or CAT-5 on the router and shared on wireless network. Dymo printer is USB only.
  • Whichever laptops the vet clinic brings connect via the router and print to the Dymo Label printer or the HP Officejet.
  • Use "Square" to process credit card payments via 2 (or more) android tablets that are connected directly to the Hotspot. https://squareup.com/reader
Would this fly? Is there an easier way to do this? I will have 2 days to be able to accomplish this work (including rebuilding 4 or 5 laptops) so time is tight too. At least we have Amazon Prime to buy whatever we need to get and get it before I arrive in the US on the 23rd.

Please, let me know if you know of a better solution or better process for this mess that my Mom volunteered me for.....

wow your mom must think highly of your skills to fly you back instead of hiring a stranger :)

so their tmobile hotspot is something like this?
https://www.t-mobile.com/internet-device/alcatel-linkzone-4g-lte-mobile-hotspot

does the wifi from the hotspot work okay for them? Can all of the wifi clients connect okay?

Would they ever need to operate without the tmobile/internet connectivity?

If not, then you can have all the wifi clients connect to the hostspot for internet.

Get a router and use it as a bridge, connect to the hotspot via wifi, but only to let the Ethernet and USB device onto the network.

and then you could get a basic 802.11N router (the hotspot probably doesn't support AC) that doesn't have antennas.

If they need to be able to operate without hotspot/internet, then switch it so that all clients connect to the router you buy. And the router connects to the hotspot via wifi, and works as more of a wireless repeater.

WDS wont be necessary in either case.

the EA6300 seems fine hardware wise, but I don't know what options the firmware gives you to work as a bridge or repeater.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!