What's new

Looking to ditch FreeNAS

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

gwopman

Occasional Visitor
FreeNAS is an excellent project, don't get me wrong, but far too commercially / professionally oriented for what i actually need at home. Not being able to change pools after creation etc gets to be painful at times. I've been looking into openmediaserver but realize i have absolutely zero experience with mdadm and would like to get to know that or anything else that may be good for a home file server. This is going in a non crucial home file server. I have been running a FreeNAS box since 2011 in various capacities and think its time to change. Thank all in advance.

You may try XigmaNAS (former Nas4Free). It has faster and simpler Web Gui then FreeNAS, has lower hardware requirements and is forked from the original FreeNAS before it got commercialized. So it would be easy for you to migrate as you have experience with FreeNAS. I am using XigmaNAS since February 2017 and I am very happy with it. Also the XigmaNAS community and forum are much more friendly to newbies than the FreeNAS. The XigmaNAS is regularly updated even it usually implements the upstream FreeBSD updates faster than FreeNAS. See the links below:

https://www.xigmanas.com/
https://www.xigmanas.com/forums//index.php

Ever since 11.2, it seems like things have gotten more difficult (though I do love the new GUI). I ended up going to unRAID. but, I may have to check this out too.

If you just want something simple, just get an old synology or even an ss4200-e if it's cheap enough.

So what is it exactly that makes you want to ditch FreeNAS? I am interested to know because i am actually planning to convert my supermicro server into a NAS running FreeNAS with only one purpose, running a Plex server. I currently have that running on a Netgear Readynas RN212 but it is a dektop model located in my server rack but taking up too much space and a rack NAS that is capable of running Plex is just too expensive and since the supermicro server has a Xeon CPU, 16GB ECC UDIMM's and is currently only used to toy around, i thought it might be perfect to be a future-proof NAS.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!