What's new

Looking to update setup of Asus RT-AC3200 with 3x RTN66-U as AP's

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Thanks for all the help!

Try to get one new AP from a place you can return it. See how it behaves in your place compared to the routers you currently use. If you see positive results, go with @Trip suggestions. The hardware he is talking about is really good, but do some tests first. Don’t put too many APs, test with two first, add more only if needed.

Wishing you all the best in 2020!

I wanto to excuse @Sir Dan Baker for this post, but i'm in a similar position concerning house deployment (with less APs) and i decided not to upgrade the Asus N56U that i still have as main router and move straight to Ubiquiti hardware. Just want to point out that the Ubiquiti APs like the AC Lite already comes with a POE injector so if you already have a switch you can use it aswell and save some money at start. So, for now i ordered an Ubiquiti UDM + Ubiquiti UAP-AC-LITE which i will power through the POE injector and will be connected to a TP-Link 105E switch.
My only concern is if the wifi will have the vlans in-place , but in theory there's no issues there.

Last let me thank @Val D. and @Trip for their inputs.

Happy 2020 everyone.

Hej guys, as I was getting bored from being at home due to quarantine regulations, end getting even more bored with failing wifi system I started to troubleshoot the old system. Turns out one of the radio's in the Asus 3200 is fried, so I turned it off. Next was the roaming issue of which I knew the system could not do any better. So..reading back this thread I decided to go for a starterpack of two TP-Link eap225v3's with an OC200 controller.
Installing was exactly how I'd liked it to be; very straightforward and user friendly to set up, apart from the fact that the controller did not come with a PoE injector (I do not have PoE switches yet, will change that in the near future), but robbing my daughter wireless headphone charger solved that issue quickly.
Inevitably you find some snags in the network, as the cat5e cable running to the AP upstairs, effectively limiting bandwidth to 85/90Mbps where downstairs the speed easily goes up to 400Mbps (fast.com tests on my phone, you have to start somewhere). But, the important part for me, the roaming between the ap's seems to be seamless, and I'm very happy with that. I have yet to test it in full effect with a Zoom meeting or a facetime/whatsapp videocall but from what I noticed it's spot on.
Over the next few days I'm gonna do some more testing to see if the coverage is enough everywhere or if I need more access points.
Thanks again for your input guys, I'm really happy so far :)

*edit* obviously I turned off all radios in the 3200 ;-)

Last edited:
Glad to hear Omada setup is working as expected for you.
I believe we all have plenty of time to play with equipment settings. :(

Thanks Val :).
I ordered some cabling to place the AP on the first floor to a better location and a PoE switch to get rid of the fairly large poe injector. Should be all good later this week.

A lot of people have indeed got a lot of time on their hands to play with these things right now. However, I work for a company which manufactures videoconferencing cameras. It is the busiest time ever; I put in massive overtime hours due to the Corona rules and very little staff in the office. We have managed to keep the production going and are basically one of the few companies in the Netherlands which have stock atm, so the pressure is on me to get everything we manufacture ready to ship out asap.
Don’t get me wrong, it’s a good thing and I’m not complaining but I’m very glad that this Omada system was as straightforward to install as I hoped, I have zero extra time to do an extensive installation[emoji51]. My wife, who works from home a lot, is also very happy that the wifi functions reliably throughout the house.
Cheers lads, stay safe and healthy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@Val D.
A friend of mine asked me to help her out with the wifi in her house. She would like to start with one AP to cover the ground floor level. My question to you is as follows: if she starts out with one EAP225 AP, does she need the Omada controller right from the start? Or does the controller come in when she decides to purchase a second AP?

@Sir Dan Baker - I can field that one. The simple answer is no. The controller is not required for just a single AP. It's actually not mandatory for multiple APs, either, but you'd forgo things like centralized management and seamless roaming (802.11r/k/v); thus, it's highly recommended for 2 or more APs.

Hope that helps!

@Sir Dan Baker - I can field that one. The simple answer is no. The controller is not required for just a single AP. It's actually not mandatory for multiple APs, either, but you'd forgo things like centralized management and seamless roaming (802.11r/k/v); thus, it's highly recommended for 2 or more APs.

Hope that helps!

Thanks, that helps indeed :)

Hej guys, just a little feedback after a couple of months of intense usage of the system. It works like a charm, just fire and forget at almost all fronts, fast and reliable, roaming throughout the house, brilliant!

There is one little gremlin in the system though, and that is the fact that older types iPad cannot connect to it. The iPad tries to connect, the little Wifi symbol in the top corner of the ipad lights up and then goes off again. I have seen this behaviour on two separate iPads of the 2nd/3rd generation. Does anyone have a clue what could cause this?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!