What's new

LOOSE RJ45 jacks: TWO BRAND NEW RT N66U's

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

It would be great if you could take on the rest of the networking and telephone equipment industry that has "jack size problems" with the same level of dedication and bravado. It seems to be long time problem rampant among companies selling consumer networking and telephone communications equipment.

For example I have a Linksys 4200v1 router I bought a two years ago that has a design flaw where the RJ-45 jacks that have a fit so tight that some of my regular Cat 5e cables get stuck to the point where I almost feel like I am going to break the router when I try to remove them and I can't even plug some of my standard Cat 6 Ethernet cables into it. Many owners and professional reviews complained to Cisco/Linksys about this problem with what was at the time their consumer grade flagship router. Cisco was aware of the problem but they continued to sell their top of the line consumer router with that design flaw. They couldn't even offer a replacement to consumers for that model at the time. I am not sure if they corrected the design flaw until the next v2 model came out a year later.

I have run across similar what you would call "critical design flaws" with phones, cordless phones, external and internal fax modems and fax machines for decades where the RJ-11 jacks seemed to be "out of spec" by being either too loose or too tight. Jacks that were too loose were never as much as a problem as jacks that were too tight. I broke off the plastic clip ends on the jacks of many phone cords trying to remove them them from similarly "critically flawed" phone equipment with RJ-11 jacks that were "too tight". The loose RJ-11 jacks usually could be bent slightly upward to make the connections normal.

Since these "too loose or too tight jack problems" have been going on for many decades maybe your extreme passion for this quest can effect worldwide industry wide change for network, telephone and computer manufacturers using RJ-45 and RJ-11 jacks in their products.

Thanks for the lengthy explanation. However, I do not see what you said has any bearing on this conversation. Yes, various vendors and manufacturers make flawed things every once in a while. I think we all know that. I can also see a networking vendor looking away on tight jacks. But I can't see that for loose jacks. There isn't any equivalence. Loose jacks means DISCONNECTIONS.

Nevertheless, if you have any examples of other critical NETWORKING routers (I'm not talking about RJ 11's or anything else) with loose jacks, where this has been a COMMON PROBLEM, please share.

And finally, this subject isn't only about ASUS acknowledging this problem. It's also about how they are currently addressing it and assuaging considerable customer inconvenience. Obviously they have done little in regard to the latter.

Last edited:
Considering my experience and enormous inconvenience caused, I don't believe ASUS is taking this seriously at all..

On a less serious note... After purchasing so many of these routers and returning so many of them ... if your replacement router for the one that you traded in to Asus ends up having normal working jacks you could call it the "Jack of all trades". :D

On a less serious note... After purchasing so many of these routers and returning so many of them ... if your replacement router for the one that you traded in to Asus ends up having normal working jacks you could call it the "Jack of all trades". :D

Asus just called me and told me that they are sending Megabyzus 3 new AC routers free of charge because of the terrible inconvenience. lol

I remember the Panasonic plasma TV I bought for $1500 had a known issue with a circuit board. A firmware update fixed it, but for me it was too late as my circuit board died. Panasonic fixed it for free, but I had to stay at home waiting for the TV repair guys all day. Although I don't remember getting on Panasonics forum and writing 34 posts on a 9 page thread.

Looks like Megabyzus will have 2 routers for sale. Any buyers ??

Thanks for the lengthy explanation. However, I do not see what you said has any bearing on this conversation. Yes, various vendors and manufacturers make flawed things every once in a while. I think we all know that. I can also see a networking vendor looking away on tight jacks. But I can't see that for loose jacks. There isn't any equivalence. Loose jacks means DISCONNECTIONS.

Nevertheless, if you have any examples of other critical NETWORKING routers (I'm not talking about RJ 11's or anything else) with loose jacks, where this has been a COMMON PROBLEM, please share.

And finally, this subject isn't only about ASUS acknowledging this problem. It's also about how they are currently addressing it and assuaging considerable customer inconvenience. Obviously they have done little in regard to the latter.

For a perspective using a recent example... I have a friend who told me he had to deal with a repair/return of his less than year old $2600+ (over $3000 with accessories) Apple iMac computer because of a bad run of internal hard drives that were crashing in many thousands of computers world wide. Luckily he had backed up his system using Time Machine but he lost all data on the drive after the crash and not long afterwards Apple issued a worldwide recall on that top of the line model iMac's that just happened to have that one run of hard drives that were flawed.

It was a major inconvenience for many thousands of that model of effected iMac owners who had to take their machines in for warranty repairs while their consumers wait for a week, two weeks or more for their repaired computers. It really wasn't Apples fault and their wasn't much they could do after those computers with the flawed parts ended up in the inventories. Apple did finally acknowledge the serious flaw involving their parts supplier and they took care of the problem by replacing the drives.

My guess is that in another month or two Asus will have sent out replacements to it's effected consumers and hopefully the problem with that particular run parts for Ethernet ports will have been tested and replaced on their manufacturing lines and hopefully you will be posting here about how happy you are with the performance and reliability of your RT-N66U replacement router from Asus. :)

Last edited:
Considering my experience and enormous inconvenience caused, I don't believe ASUS is taking this seriously at all..

You are going to be inconvenience more when you receive the replacement cause you will wiggle it to death then blame it on asus. If I were you just give it up and buy another brand.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
For a perspective using a recent example... I have a friend who told me he had to deal with a repair/return of his less than year old $2600+ Apple iMac computer because of a bad run of internal hard drives that were crashing in many thousands of computers world wide. Luckily he had backed up his system using Time Machine but he lost all data on the drive after the crash and not long afterwards Apple issued a worldwide recall on that top of the line model iMac's that just happened to have that one run of hard drives that were flawed.

It was a major inconvenience for many thousands of that model of effected iMac owners who had to take their machines in for warranty repairs while their consumers wait for a week, two weeks or more for their repaired computers. It really wasn't Apples fault and their wasn't much they could do after those computers with the flawed parts ended up in the inventories. Apple did finally acknowledge the serious flaw involving their parts supplier and they took care of the problem by replacing the drives.

My guess is that in another month or two Asus will have sent out replacements to it's effected consumers and hopefully the problem with that particular run parts for Ethernet ports will have been tested and replaced on their manufacturing lines and hopefully you will be posting here about how happy you are with the performance and reliability of your RT-N66U replacement router from Asus. :)

I have an iMac, and am aware of that issue. It didn't affect mine. However, I've had other issues with my Apple devices during their lifetimes. Apple's response has been universally immaculate. I wish ASUS were like Apple.

Although my wishes and your guesses are nice, at the end, here we are TODAY: ASUS' response has been awful.

ASUS is no Apple.

Last edited:
It would've much better if they had call ME!

Dude, it's pretty obvious you are making this big of a stink in hopes that Asus will give you a free router to shut you up. It's not going to work. Give it up.

You've done a great service to the forum for bringing the issue to everyone's attention, but now it seems like all you want is a free router and you're embarrassing yourself.

I have an iMac, and am aware of that issue. It didn't affect mine. However, I've had other issues with my Apple devices during their lifetimes. Apple's response has been universally immaculate. I wish ASUS were like Apple.

Although my wishes and your guesses are nice, at the end, here we are TODAY: ASUS' response has been awful.

ASUS is no Apple.

I have a Mac and it's great but from my positive experience with the RT-N66U I will stick with Asus routers in the foreseeable future.

But if you are a big fan of Apple and you don't mind spending more money you do have other options....

http://www.apple.com/airport-extreme/

Dude, it's pretty obvious you are making this big of a stink in hopes that Asus will give you a free router to shut you up. It's not going to work. Give it up.

You've done a great service to the forum for bringing the issue to everyone's attention, but now it seems like all you want is a free router and you're embarrassing yourself.

Nope I don't want a free router. What I want is manifest in my previous posts. Feel free to read them. I'm not embarrassed at all...Dude...:)

Who says I have options? Please read previous posts. Not sure what this thread has to do with Apple.

"Please read previous posts"

I was going to ask you the same thing....

simple solution, refuse the router delivery, get a refund and buy another brand.

My comment that you have options is in reply to your comment that "Asus is no Apple".

...but don't let me stop you from continuing on to extend an already ridiculously long thread for an issue that a solution has already been provided for by Asus. Ten pages... almost one hundred posts and counting...for a topic about "loose jacks" and getting a working replacement from Asus... including several pages of complaints from you about how terrible Asus is for requiring a signature upon receipt of the replacement router.

Last edited:
This thread is going off topic quickly I don't want to see it get locked before we see if the new ones they send have the issue. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is going off topic quickly I don't want to see it get locked before we see if the new ones they send have the issue. :(

Totally agree! The topic is about a serious problem with the recent ASUS RT N66U's (disconnecting RJ 45 ethernet ports) AND ASUS mishandling of replacement. Meanwhile, as this issue continues with ASUS, I have started warning about this on other relevant fora as well. In this day and age, you just don't behave like ASUS has.

Last edited:

By the time Megabyzus finally gets the replacement and starts in with his review of the router he's going to need his own separate complaint forum.

Last edited:
I'm curious to hear the outcome also. Perhaps the posts could be limited to updates ONLY pertaining to whether ASUS has provided working units, regardless of when that may be. All the other commentary related to "mishandling" and other inconveniences ASUS has caused could probably be left out. If it takes another 2 weeks to get the units, so be it. I'm still interested to hear the results.

Just a suggestion.

I can't be the only one here that's a little frightened to finally stand up to "Big Jack" and their corporate shenanigans! Big Jack has a way of silencing its critics if they make too much noise. And I don't want to end up floating in a lagoon hogtied with Cat5 cable!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!