What's new

Losing 2.4Ghz band

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

sgrillo2@gmail.com

New Around Here
I've had the above noted modem for over a year with no problem. Recently i noticed that it was dropping the internet connection fairly frequently. After confirming that it was not a power or ISP problem I updated the firmware and have a more stable connection. The firmware update however, reverted the SSID to ASUS and ASUS_5G, and removed the WPA security. When I try to rename the SSID and add WPA or WEP it seems to lose the 2.4GHz band entirely. My MAC, iPhone, Blackberry, and Nexus are able to connect to the 5G network, but my older laptop (8 years old) and Epson Printer are unable to locate the network. The Mac is the only device capable of selecting which network to connect to so i can see that only the 5G network is available after any change. The only way i can get all my devices to connect is to reset the router and leave the network(s) open.

Any thoughts or advice?

What router are you talking about?

And are you configuring the router via Ethernet?

Install inSSIDer on your Mac or Windows laptop and see if the 2.4 GHz signal is really gone.

If you have either an RT-N56 or an RT-N66U running a fairly old firmware, it's normal for your settings to be reset to factory default - there were some significant settings change at some point with these two firmwares. Make sure you did reconfigure manually and did not try to reload you old saved settings.

Sorry. Using RT-N56U router with a cable modem from Time Warner Cable. I uploaded the newest firmware (3.042) and then reset the modem via the reset button on the modem itself. When I tried to change the SSID and add the WPA security i had previously is when i started noticing that it was not broadcasting at 2.4 range even though the light on the modem says that it is. Newer devices have no problem connecting (I'm guessing they are finding the 5Ghz network) but older laptop and printer that are only capable of receiving at the 2.4Ghz frequency cannot connect.