What's new

Lost power to my NAS - stupid!!

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Ola Malmstrom

Regular Contributor
I have an UPS that works fine...... But I managed to pull the plug out from the backside of the NAS when rearranging some cables...

Took a lot of hours until the NAS was up and running again. Fortunately it could be restored without having to resort to backups.

Is there any good way to secure that this doesn't happen again?

A simple way to avoid this would be to glue the conenctor in place using hot glue....... Does anyone have a better solution?

A simple way to avoid this would be to glue the conenctor in place using hot glue....... Does anyone have a better solution?

I'm biting my tongue... you know, all the dos and don'ts... :)

All I can think of would be to use some small diameter braided nylon cord to tie the power cable to the NAS chassis someplace. Use a double prusik knot to attach the cord to the power cable... might also need a backup knot to the double prusik knot to keep it tight. This will keep the power cable from yanking the connector from the socket. Or some similar such power cable fixing arrangement.

I don't like the glue idea... either too permanent or not permanent enough.

OE

I hate those barrel power plugs for that reason. Always worries me that moving the NAS around might unplug it.

I don't like the glue idea... either too permanent or not permanent enough.
Not a favourite option, but I have used it once or twice. Often provides just enough sticking power to hold but can be removed when required.