What's new

Low WAN speed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

MaxLTV

New Around Here
I have a very strange situation. I have a D-link DIR-890L router connected to a bridged DSL modem on WAN and to a number of wireless access points in the house via gigabit cable. One access point (Netgear Nighthawk EX7000 AC1900 WiFi) acts strangely. It gives me 65Mbit download from internet (others give 110Mbit), but transfer from anything inside my network is about 380Mbit, which is normal for my laptop.

So
WAN->Router->Nighthawk Access Point->Laptop X- 65Mbit
WAN->Router->Any other access point->Laptop X - 110Mbit (as expected)
NAS->Router->Nighthawk Access Point->Laptop X - 380Mbit (as expected)

The 65Mbit speed is VERY stable, as if it's throttled by something or it runs into some natural restriction. I disabled QoS, reset everything to factory settings and tried any other Voodoo I could think of without any impact on this 65Mbit number.

Any ideas?

Interestingly, some time ago I had a similar issue with a Linksys router turned into an access point and on a different router, but it was stuck at 32Mbit (half the speed - coincidence?). I chucked the router because I had better access points available. Hope I can fix this issue this time.

With so many possibilities, my brain hurts.

You have tried the ubiquitous reset to Factory Default Settings?

With so many possibilities, my brain hurts.

You have tried the ubiquitous reset to Factory Default Settings?

I tried - 1) resets to factory settings of everything; 2) latest firmware; 3) connect access point to a different ethernet port on the router; 4) turning things on in all possible order (AP before router, after router); 5) turning off all other APs. No change.

I tried - 1) resets to factory settings of everything; 2) latest firmware; 3) connect access point to a different ethernet port on the router; 4) turning things on in all possible order (AP before router, after router); 5) turning off all other APs. No change.

Have you tried hitting the device? :eek: jk

I would try a packet sniffer. Maybe there is an MTU problem or... who knows. Really, any trouble-shooting aid you can use.

Isolating the device(s) and confirming functionality perhaps.

Strange indeed.

Give more details, if possible, like WiFi channels... etc

Have you tried using a new ssid? Different channel (not Auto)? Did you 'forget' the original ssid / password and then re-associate laptopX with the router?

Are you using the same ssid for all your routers / AP's?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!