What's new

Maintaining high (near 1Gb/s) ISP performance

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

YW-Slayer

New Around Here
I recently subscribed to 1000Mb/s fiber. I have a Huawei modem/router, but it has been set to pure modem mode.

If I connect my W520 directly to the modem and run myspeedmeter.net after disabling all my AV/firewall software to max speed, I regularly get 800-900M down, 700+M up. This is with nothing else plugged into the modem, even a router.

If I connect my W520 directly to my RT-NT56U, even without setting jumbo frames etc. on the W520 and with all other settings being the same (i.e. no firewall/AV), I get similar speeds. However, this is only with nothing else plugged into the NT56U.

I have now plugged all my other stuff in. Roughly:

Modem => NT-56U => 8-port switch 3Com Gigabit (and Jumbo Frame supporting) dumb-Switch #1 ("Switch 1")

NT-56U => PS3 and possibly something else random

Switch 1 => Home Server + Squeezebox Touch + Switch 2 (the latter is in another room via CAT6)

Switch 2 => Main desktop + Wife notebook + IP phone + All-in-one Printer + NT-56U #2 (the latter is in another room, via CAT6, and in AP mode only)

NT-56U #2 => Bedroom HTPC

With my Main desktop, and the same settings as above, I only get around 330M up but, strangely, around 700M down. I haven't tried the W520 in that area yet due to time constraints, but I suspect I'd probably get similar speeds.

Would the speed of anything past the first NT-56U (or even anything connected via that first NT-56U) be affected by certain cables (even if they are not connecting main routers/switches) not being CAT6? I ask because I am using a rather random assortment of cables to connect various things, although each room has CAT6 running from it to the others (i.e. in-between all routers and switches), which I asked the contractors to install when we renovated in 2008.

I suppose I can unplug and re-add devices slowly and see what, if anything, is causing any bottlenecks with the main desktop. For example, I could make sure only Gigabit-capable devices (almost all of which our stuff is) with ONLY CAT6 cables, are on the network, and then re-run the speed test.

If not, then, what suggestions would you all have? I'm sure I'm not too far off cracking it, as I know the connection is capable of faster than 500M/s. If it's replacing random cables with full CAT6, that's not a problem as I have a friend who has a lot of spare CAT6 on a roll(?) as he recently re-wired his apartment with CAT6 too (even the kitchen).

I would think to hit those kind of speeds you would want a layer 3 switch with what ever features you would like.

You REALLY have gigabit wireless via fiber from the ISP? Or did you get, say, 50Mbps service and a gigabit connection.

this marketing prose from the ISP's web site
A total network solution package,"1000M" provides customers with the high speed connectivity of NETVIGATOR Fiber Direct 1000M, together with NETVIGATOR Everywhere, the unique wireless broadband solution integrating High Speed Packet Access (HSPA) and Wi-Fi services, and a high-definition TV experience from now TV service. This service offers customers reliable and stable broadband experience everywhere - both on fiber and on wireless!
plus what you say, leaves it unclear that your ACCESS link is gigiBit service or far less. No matter the media speed such as gigabit ethernet.

In the US, gigabit access speeds would cost thousands of dollars per month.

I can't say I've spent time sweating over the details. But I don't live in the US, and economies of scale and delivery of certain matters and plans are different here, since almost everyone lives in apartments. Anyway, since the package is called a "1000M Fiber-To-The-Home Plan" and my old VDSL Ethernet setup has been replaced by an optical cable, with fiber running outside and within the apartment, I am reasonably sure that there is a Gigabit fiber connection involved somehow (albeit not wireless as you originally asked).

Anyway, and leaving that aside, I have replaced the CAT5e from the home server with CAT6 and have connected it directly to the 1st NT-56U. Running a few tests has shown that I can regularly get 700/400, whereas previously it was 80/80, and generally FTPing into the machine locally seems faster. So I'll probably continue doing that with all of my devices. If I feel like it maybe I'll buy a Layer 3 switch, as they're relatively affordable here.

For those questioning whether it is really 1 Gig internet, did you not read this part of the OP??

If I connect my W520 directly to the modem and run myspeedmeter.net after disabling all my AV/firewall software to max speed, I regularly get 800-900M down, 700+M up. This is with nothing else plugged into the modem, even a router.

if you don't mind saying, what speed does the ISP contract stipulate?
And, if I'm not imposing, how much would one pay for this?
I've done fiber and metro-ethernet projects at work, but they cost far more than a home user would want.

You're all more than welcome to see for yourself!

From the page: http://www.netvigator.com/eng/reg_03.php?planFor=non_user&cid=3

"1000M Fiber-To-The-Home Plan" - HK$598/month (around US$77/month)

"Bandwidth Specification refers to network specifications of the subscribed Services for the broadband line connected from the modem at your Premises to the first piece of network equipment or central office of the NETVIGATOR network. ... For Fiber-to-the-home Plans, bandwidth specifications of 300M, 500M and 1000M correspond to a maximum upstream and downstream bandwidth of 300Mbps / 500Mbps / 1000Mbps respectively. The actual speed you experience using the Service will be less than the network specifications and affected by your device, technology, network and software used, network configuration and coverage, usage levels and extraneous factors."

I haven't actually asked for a full copy of the T&C but I nkow that max is 1000M, and I shouldn't expect 1000/1000 consistently across every device at any time (particularly when running firewalls and AV). But I would like to know if there is a way (not involving switching off firewalls and AV) to get more than 500/500 consistently, which is after all what I'm paying for.

If you're interested, the only other fiber player in town is HKBN, which is even cheaper: http://www.hkbn.net/new/en/access-plan.shtml But they don't have fiber running to my apartment complex, hence I'm stuck with PCCW-HKT.

Yes, you will need to scale the network back and add sections at a time to find the bottlenecks.

Unless cables are *really* bad, short CAT5e cables should not be limiting throughput. I would also not enable jumbo frames on any devices. They don't really help with today's adapters and bus architectures.

A real network diagram would be more helpful for getting more specific advice.

Wow pricey! Comcast just finally gave me 105 d and 20 u most I am getting is 132 d and 20 u. For the same price I was paying for 50 d and 10 u. D3 can support 1000mbps when that comes out here.

Thanks Tom, will have to do that, I suppose. Am on holiday at the moment so a diagram will have to wait.

Hong Kong is not China "proper", and our ISPs are not govt subsidised or run. PCCW-HKT used to be the only telco (but certainly not ISP) in town, but that ended quite some time ago. HKBN offers pretty much the same or a similar fiber service, but for less. Very fast internet for a low price is not uncommon in north Asia, particularly in densely populated areas. For this money I also get some free IPTV channels and a receiver, as well as the ability to talk to a live, real, tech support person who generally knows what's going on, within 3 minutes of making a phone call. Of course, our property prices are generally higher than those of Manhattan, so it's swings and roundabouts to some extent.

Very high population density. While a US MSO might be satisfied with 60 -80 homes per mile but there the majority of the population live in multi story housing blocks. Makes building the system very cost effective and you don't need a fleet of vehicles to service remote customers.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!