What's new

Major internet issues PPPOE

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bilboSNB

I have been having major internet issues since yesterday, I am not sure why. It coincides with me changing vpn provider and trying different options with vpn client 1 and 2 but I dont think it has anything to do with that, as I have factory reset, downgraded to the last stable rmerlin release and factory reset again but it is still the same with no vpn config. The only thing strange that had happened when experimenting with vpn clients was that the subnet was the same for one of the vpn clients as the vpn server running on the router, but all reset anyway and vpns disabled.

Pages are really slow to load, some times not, cant download anything, ntp sync commands wont complete for some strange reason. It is a pppoe connection, nothing on the modem has changed.

Anyone any ideas?

Is there some other deeper factory reset method that can be used or am I barking up the wrong tree?

There is nothing in the routers event log which gives any indication.

ISP say nothing reported, gave me an app to run waiting to hear back on the result.

Separately I fired up wireshark, it shows lots of black re-transmissions and a fair few red resets, more than I would expect to see, and seems to be port 443 its occurring on.

dsl line stats all look fine and speedtest.net seems okay most of the time.

One problem at a time. Does your internet work fine without VPN? (you mentioned that dsl line stats, etc - but just want to reconfirm)
I assume that you already power cycled your modem; if the modem is provided by ISP, did you check with ISP if the modem FW is the latest available? (in my case, In convinced ISP to push me a new FW that they were beta testing to my modem, and things definitely improved).

No VPN currently configured, full reset and running on basic settings. The modem has not been touched by me or anyone for over a year in terms of config/firmware, the isp do not have access it and yes I powered down the whole house yesterday at one point.

I am waiting for the ISP to get back to me again before I start swapping equipment out etc, and may see if there is another fw available at that point.

I'd start two continuous pings running from your PC. One to your ISP gateway address and the other to the general internet (e.g. 8.8.8.8). Monitor it and see if the connection as a whole has problems or whether it's something more specific like a DNS issue.

dslreports smokeping can be helpful, too.

ISP has come back with there are no problems, escalating to the incumbent telecoms operator for further investigation.

However I now plugged in an old netgear dgnd3700 and the problem went away, and now back again on my asus router and problems have returned. Back to my original question, is there some deeper reset I can perform, or is there anything else it could be?

The ISP said the only thing the app they got me to run flagged up was a potential fault with a plug, I don't know how an app running on my phone would detect that??! However I would have thought wifi would be effected also if it was that, but I am still able to transfer files internally over wifi at 50+MB/s.

Don't forget the simple things first. If you used a different Ethernet cable for the Netgear, try using that one for the Asus.

Don't forget the simple things first.
Or....just try powering everything off (router and modem) for about 1/2 hour. Some ISPs 'remember' the last piece of equipment after the modem and behave badly if it changes. Need to give it some time to forget. Power up modem first, then router.

Tried all of the above now, no joy.

Strange that after the wps reset the routers ip was 192.168.2.1, then after the gui reset it was 1.1.

I did notice a buzzing from the psu when doing various resets tonight, could that actually be it but effect wan only? Would there be logs for that?

Nothing on my network changed, only me messing with a new vpn provider immediately before the problem started. I had two on the go and saw the highest download speeds I had seen on a vpn before, 130 ish mbps.

I will try more resets tomorrow, maybe the rescue utility in addition to reset button, wps , gui.

After more resets, older firmware, even back to asus firmware its the same. :mad: I don't understand it.
If I connect the wan port to the lan port of the old netgear and set auto ip all is fine which is strange.
Could something have corrupted within the router that would specifically affect a PPPoE connection?
I haven't tried doing anything with the modem yet and am reluctant to do so given nothing with it has changed, maybe at the weekend I will try looking at firmware updates for that on the slim offchance.
Anything else I could try in the mean time? I am contemplating trying dd-wrt or tomato to see what happens, also trying to get hold of an alternative power supply just in case.

Connect directly to ISP Modem. Do you still have issues? If the answer is yes, reset the isp modem. If you still having issues, you modem might have to be replaced.

Thanks for the additional suggestions, I tried using lan1 for wan instead, unfortunately the same issue.

New power cable ordered to try that next, anyone think that will be it? (it squealed momentarily tonight when rebooting) Failing that I will nuke my modem as well at the weekend just on the off chance, then its a new router.

See my post here:

See my post here:

Interesting, thanks.

If it turns out it IS my ac86u which has malfunctioned, is the AX86U a better build quality in your experience?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!