What's new

Major Issues w/RT-AC86U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the advice. I used to have Merlin's FW in the past and worked well. For now I need Aimesh and then must stick to Asus FW. There is no such a feature in the Asus FW.
I tried to start OVPN server and connections from outside also do not work. I do not know why. DDNS with noip.com works well. I am going to test other VPN types.
Merlin fully supports Aimesh since 384.13!

Merlin fully supports Aimesh since 384.13!
That is great news for all of us! Many thanks! I did not check Merlin's updates for more than a year.

Have wondered for a while (I use your reset process) the purpose of this step @L&LD :

Now, check the box to 'Format the JFFS partition on next boot' and make sure you hit Apply at the bottom of the page too before rebooting the router 3 times in the next 15 minutes. Waiting for at least 5 to 10 minutes between reboots.

Factory resets clear nvram, why do you need to reformat the jffs if you aren't using custom scripts?

Factory resets clear nvram, why do you need to reformat the jffs if you aren't using custom scripts?
Even if you aren't using custom scripts the router uses jffs for its own purposes. So if this partition gets filled up the router will not function correctly.

But both the 'WPS reset' and the 'Factory reset with Initialize' will reset the nvram and jffs. So 'Format the JFFS partition on next boot' is just repeating what has already been done.

Even if you aren't using custom scripts the router uses jffs for its own purposes. So if this partition gets filled up the router will not function correctly.

But both the 'WPS reset' and the 'Factory reset with Initialize' will reset the nvram and jffs. So 'Format the JFFS partition on next boot' is just repeating what has already been done.

Cheers, how sure are you that it formats jffs on factory reset? Traffic analyzer statistic data is stored to jffs and after a factory restore with intialize settings ticked after reset my data was still there?!?!

Did factory reset again and it went - very bizarre - most likely just a random bug and you are correct.

Cheers, how sure are you that it formats jffs on factory reset? Traffic analyzer statistic data is stored to jffs and after a factory restore with intialize settings ticked after reset my data was still there?!?!
The "Initialize' option and "Format JFFS" do exactly the same thing with regards to clearing jffs. They set a flag which in theory clears jffs during the next boot up.

It's possible there's a bug/problem with that process, in which case the WPS Reset should work regardless (AFAIK).

Hi!

So is the RT-AC86U still a model to stay away from? Does the 2.4 Ghz still drop connections? I need a new router and don't know which model from ASUS to buy now. The only recent model that I found that does not report issues so far is the ASUS GT-AC2900.

Thank's :)

AC86U is an excellent wifi router. Don't let the negative comments on Amazon or SNB forum dissuade you. I have four of these bought over the last two years, and all work perfectly. And based on Merlin firmware downloads, its the second most popular ASUS wifi router (bested only by the AC68U).

I have heard that the option Airtime Fairness may be the cause of the 2.4 Ghz issue if the option is enable. Any of you heard about it and experienced the issue when this setting was enabled?

There were major issues with the AC86U despite what some say, I have one that I bought in September 2018 that has been trouble free. However in July 2019 I purchased and returned 3 that were defective when I received them, either the 2.4 or 5 Ghz band would not work. The latest production models seem to be OK from what I have read. When it works it is a great router. If I were buying one today I would make sure the seller has a good return policy as the router appears to either be good or bad out of the box.

Last edited:
There were major issues with the AC68U despite what some say, I have one that I bought in September 2018 that has been trouble free. However in July 2019 I purchased and returned 3 that were defective when I received them, either the 2.4 or 5 Ghz band would not work. The latest production models seem to be OK from what I have read. When it works it is a great router. If I were buying one today I would make sure the seller has a good return policy as the router appears to either be good or bad out of the box.
I think you meant to say 86U, not 68U, as the latter is generally regarded as rock solid hardware wise.

I will give it a chance and buy the RT-AC86U. If I am not lucky I will have to go with a Merlin unsupported version of ASUS router which is the ASUS GT-AC2900 that has no bad comments or review at all. Thank's all for you help! :)

I think you meant to say 86U, not 68U, as the latter is generally regarded as rock solid hardware wise.

Fixed it - Yes, got in a hurry and transposed numbers, I also have had 2 of the 68U's and have had no problem. My current 86U is approaching 2 trouble free years. If I could get another one like it I would not hesitate to buy another.

the router appears to either be good or bad out of the box.

That wasn't my experience, the 2.4 band on mine died after a few months of use - forget how long exactly. My experience is somewhere in this thread, I believe. The replacement (refurb) system has been fine, although the other day the 5G band did disappear. I am hoping it was just a fluke, no issues since a reboot.

That wasn't my experience, the 2.4 band on mine died after a few months of use - forget how long exactly. My experience is somewhere in this thread, I believe. The replacement (refurb) system has been fine, although the other day the 5G band did disappear. I am hoping it was just a fluke, no issues since a reboot.

OK, I might have exaggerated a little but of the three that failed one lasted about a week, the other 2 had one of the bands die within two days, and one had a dead band out of the box. I tried every remedy described I could fine and could not get them to work properly. Don't get me wrong I really like the router when it works, that is why I tried to buy another one to replace an AC-3100 that I have as an access point. May give it another try as there does appear that the latest production seem to be better.

Thankfully, my 2017 manufactured AC86U has been solid and has seen over 26,000 hours of operation and counting.

If I want to play safe and stay away from the 2.4 Ghz issue of the RT-AC86U, which model should I buy then?

Thank's!:confused:

All routers have some issue(s) depending on the specific unit and the environment you're using them in.

Buy the RT-AC86U and test it fully within the return period to ensure it works as needed. Same as you would do for any other router too. :)

I know that it is not related to RT-AC86U but someone would have an idea why a RT-N66U would reboot as soon as I connect a Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e tablet wifi to the router regardless of 2.4 Ghz or 5 Ghz? This is why I am replacing it. My other old Samsung tablets are not making the router rebooting when I connect them.

Thank's!

@Wildman, why would you post that here? :)

Please start a new thread for your question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!