What's new

Manually Assigned IP Address --- Guest Network

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JohnD5000

Very Senior Member
Manually Assigned IP of 192.168.1.200 to a device. It worked connected with a manual address of 192.168.1.200...OK

Later, I then created a Guest Network on my system and now have the device connect to the guest network, but the IP address it connects to is 192.168.101.181 static instead of 192.168.1.200 manual. Why doesn't the Manually assigned IP addresses work on guest network? Is there anyway to force a manual IP address (I need to assign a IP address that sticks since I am running a script that uses the IP address) for a guest network device connection since I do not want the device to have access to my intranet?

Thanks

This is a feature bug! :)

Asus is still learning from the group of code wizards here at SNBforums as they introduce new features for us. Be gentle with them. :)

I created a Guest network on G2, the manual assigned IP seemed to work and assign the manually assigned IP address to the device. But, I can not seem to get a guest connection on any G2 network on my AiMesh nodes.

So, how can I get the G2 network to work on the nodes? What am I doing wrong? Do I need to reset up the node?

Ug, all I want is the device to have an assigned IP address and work on Nodes. Will the JazFi do this?

Thanks

The YazFi script will create separate IP address ranges for guest WiFi on the main router (not sure about node guests though). From there one can push, via scripting, static IP addresses for those guest WiFi devices.

See the main YazFi thread: for more including how to set static guest IP's: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/y...-merlin-guest-wifi-inc-ssid-vpn-client.45924/
In particular my write up in that thread about assigning static IP's for guest WiFi clients: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/y...inc-ssid-vpn-client.45924/page-32#post-473403

YazFi Github page: https://github.com/jackyaz/YazFi
And some info on setting static IP's for guests: https://github.com/jackyaz/YazFi/wiki/Setting-up-YazFi-with-Pi-hole-and-ARP-records

Last edited:
The YazFi script will create separate IP address ranges for guest WiFi on the main router (not sure about node guests though). From there one can push, via scripting, static IP addresses for those guest WiFi devices.

See the main YazFi thread: for more including how to set static guest IP's: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/y...-merlin-guest-wifi-inc-ssid-vpn-client.45924/
In particular my write up in that thread about assigning static IP's for guest WiFi clients: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/y...inc-ssid-vpn-client.45924/page-32#post-473403

YazFi Github page: https://github.com/jackyaz/YazFi
And some info on setting static IP's for guests: https://github.com/jackyaz/YazFi/wiki/Setting-up-YazFi-with-Pi-hole-and-ARP-records

Hi,

All that talk about Pi-Hole, DNS, ARP records, DHCP reservations, dnsmasq, subnets,etc is all very confusing and over my head (I'm not even sure what a Pi-Hole is). I just want to set 2 devices to use the Guest network (so they can not access my intranet) and always use the same IP address. Currently, I can easily use LAN/DHCP server page in the GUI and enter the mac address and IP address and select Apply. This works fine for non-guest network. With guest network 1, the IPs are not fixed but the AiMesh nodes work. With guest network 2, the IPs are fixed but it doesn't work with the AiMesh nodes.

I'm assuming I need to do the following. Please let me know if it looks OK

1) Setup Guest Network on G1 in Merlin
2) Install YazFi (there is a YazFi on amtm but is this different than YazFi develop mode script mentioned above?)
3) Keep defaults on YazFi (Is this correct or do I need to change anything here?)
4) Create a dnsmasq.postconf file in /jffs/scripts/ and change it's permission (using Xshell and WinSCP I should be OK doing this)
5) reboot router

my standard network is 192.168.1.xxx

I want something like this (note the IP could be different but needs to be Fixed)

If my mac addresses and Static IP address are as follows:

1A:2B:3C:4D:5E:6F 192.168.1.200 Camera1
1G:2H:3I:4J:5K:6L 192.168.1.201 Camera2

would dnsmasq.postconf look like:

#!/bin/sh
CONFIG=$1
source /usr/sbin/helper.sh
pc_append "dhcp-host=1A:2B:3C:4D:5E:6F,192.168.1.200,Camera1" $CONFIG
pc_append "dhcp-host=1G:2H:3I:4J:5K:6L,192.168.1.201,Camera2" $CONFIG

Do I need to change the static IP to something like 192.168.100.200, 192.168.100.201?

Thanks

1) Setup Guest Network on G1 in Merlin
2) Install YazFi (there is a YazFi on amtm but is this different than YazFi develop mode script mentioned above?)
3) Keep defaults on YazFi (Is this correct or do I need to change anything here?)
4) Create a dnsmasq.postconf file in /jffs/scripts/ and change it's permission (using Xshell and WinSCP I should be OK doing this)
5) reboot router
It's easy to over think this. Its actually pretty straight forward and simple. General steps:
  1. Enable a Guest WiFi network on the Asus-Merlin guest network page.
  2. Enable JFFS if it isn't already enabled within the Asus-Merlin interface.
  3. Install the YazFi script (per the ReadMe.md) via an SSH client (Putty, WinSCP, etc.). See the GitHub link I previously posted and read the ReadMe.md for it which explains how to install the script and the various script options.
  4. Use either SSH to launch the YazFi script (per the YazFi GitHub ReadMe.md), or use the YazFi web page that should have been added to the Guest network Merlin page to configure the additional YazFi guest network settings. Make sure to see the YazFi ReadMe.md for explanations of what each of it's additional settings does.
  5. YazFi sets up IP ranges for the guest network that is separate from the main LAN IP range. For example if your main network LAN range is 192.168.1.xxx, YazFi will typically use 192.168.2.xxx, 192.168.3.xxx, 192.168.4.xxx and so on for the guest wifi IP address ranges. You can adjust the guest ranges to suit your needs, but I believe (ask Jack Yaz for more information on this point) they cannot be the same as the main IP address subnet range.
  6. Create the dnsmasq.postconf file and format it as the link(s) above indicate. Keeping the IP address for the WiFi guest on each Guest WiFi network in the same IP address range used by the YazWiFi script. Then save the script, change the permissions as indicated in the link above, then reboot the router and you should be good to go. Connect Wifi devices to the Guest WiFi and or one may need to reboot the various guest WiFi clients if they don't obtain a new network IP address.
  7. Check the WIreless Log within the Merlin interface to see a listing of connected YazFi wifi guest clients. The main Network Map method of seeing clients will not show the new YazFi WiFi clients. Or issue the SSH command cat /var/lib/misc/dnsmasq.leases to see all connected clients including YazFi clients.
I've been using the YazFi script for a good while now and have a number of IoT devices (8-10) configured with static guest network IP's. Works fine. For someone who isn't familiar with scripts or using/issuing SSH commands this, or any similar process to install scripts and control network/firewall elements, will seem daunting and confusing.

Last edited:
It's easy to over think this. Its actually pretty straight forward and simple. General steps:
  1. Enable a Guest WiFi network on the Asus-Merlin guest network page.
  2. Enable JFFS if it isn't already enabled within the Asus-Merlin interface.
  3. Install the YazFi script (per the ReadMe.md) via an SSH client (Putty, WinSCP, etc.). See the GitHub link I previously posted and read the ReadMe.md for it which explains how to install the script and the various script options.
  4. Use either SSH to launch the YazFi script (per the YazFi GitHub ReadMe.md), or use the YazFi web page that should have been added to the Guest network Merlin page to configure the additional YazFi guest network settings. Make sure to see the YazFi ReadMe.md for explanations of what each of it's additional settings does.
  5. YazFi sets up IP ranges for the guest network that is separate from the main LAN IP range. For example if your main network LAN range is 192.168.1.xxx, YazFi will typically use 192.168.2.xxx, 192.168.3.xxx, 192.168.4.xxx and so on for the guest wifi IP address ranges. You can adjust the guest ranges to suit your needs, but I believe (ask Jack Yaz for more information on this point) they cannot be the same as the main IP address subnet range.
  6. Create the dnsmasq.postconf file and format it as the link(s) above indicate. Keeping the IP address for the WiFi guest on each Guest WiFi network in the same IP address range used by the YazWiFi script. Then save the script, change the permissions as indicated in the link above, then reboot the router and you should be good to go. Connect Wifi devices to the Guest WiFi and or one may need to reboot the various guest WiFi clients if they don't obtain a new network IP address.
  7. Check the WIreless Log within the Merlin interface to see a listing of connected YazFi wifi guest clients. The main Network Map method of seeing clients will not show the new YazFi WiFi clients. Or issue the SSH command cat /var/lib/misc/dnsmasq.leases to see all connected clients including YazFi clients.
I've been using the YazFi script for a good while now and have a number of IoT devices (8-10) configured with static guest network IP's. Works fine. For someone who isn't familiar with scripts or using/issuing SSH commands this, or any similar process to install scripts and control network/firewall elements, will seem daunting and confusing.

Hi Bennor

I have amtm loaded, there is a YazFi there, so I used amtm to load YazFi. Someone mentioned that YazFi develop above. Wasn’t sure what that was but figured I would enter that in SSH using XShell7. When entered, it updated YazFi to a newer version (obviously a alpha/beta). I decided to reboot the router at this point. On 2.4 G1, the devices where now logging on to the system with the IPs that I already had loaded in my system (ex 192.168.1.211). Plus the devices could log to various AiMesh nodes. I.e. The newer version of YazFi apparently does this automatically. And, it was viewable on the standard network map list and the AiMesh list. The scripts that I had written seemed to be working with no modifications. I tried on 2.4 G2 but it didn’t work…..

Anyhow, this is good because it appears that this is getting built in in the next version of YazFi.

However, I didn’t find it very stable. I would try to bind a device to a node and it would tell me that the signal was weak. 1 device would just behave poorly (even though I have 4 of same device). The devices have an app, I would look on that and sometimes the devices IP would be that assigned, then next time I checked it would be 192.168.2.xx). It appears that the Ips were not stable behind scenes.

Anyhow, I decided to switch back to keeping the devices on my main network, and not setting up a Guest network for now. Perhaps if I setup this fresh as you mentioned above, it may have worked better. But, it looks like YazFi is going to change soon. I saw some messages that the Asus Guest code is kind of a mess right now and Asus is supposedly working on it. So, I think I will take a look at this in 6 months or so to see if things improve with Guest and AiMesh.

Thanks

Currently I'm not using AiMesh. Could be that's where the issues are presenting themselves. Seems AiMesh can be very finicky and couple that with RMerlin's comment elsewhere about the Asus Guest code being a mess its no surprise that Guest WiFi on the AiMesh notes may have issues, especially if one introduces the YasFi script into the mix. Gotta wonder if the issue with Guest WiFi #1 not behaving properly (mentioned in the main and beta Merlin threads) is the underlying issue when AiMesh is active and one puts their Guest WiFi devices on Guest WiFi #1. Perhaps as a troubleshooting step one could put devices on Guest #2, #3, etc (which was being recommended in the main/beta Merlin threads) and see if the issues persist when using the YazFi script.

However, on a non AiMesh router (I'm using a RT-AC68U) the script works fine. Static IP assignments also work (as indicated by the Wireless Log, the Network Map doesn't correctly pull the YazFi Guest WiFi client IP addresses. Have a number of guest devices on both Guest Wifi #1 2.4ghz and 5ghz bands. No issue with signal strength being low or other issues. As always YMMV.

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!