What's new

Manually assigning Main Network IP address to Device connected to Guest Network?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jksmurf

Hi, I like to to see what devices are online using named devices associated with MAC/ IP address.

I noticed recently that some but not all devices that are connected to a guest network 192.168.101.x or 102.x (101 or 102 dependent on 2.4 or 5Ghz) are available to be assigned static IPs.

If my main Network is 192.168.1.x (say) and my allocated DHCP range is 192.168.1.20-192.168.1.80 (say), can I assign these Guest Devices on 101 or 102 an IP address in the 192.168.1.10x etc range (outside DHCP) i.e. of the main network?

If this is possible, are they just connected to the Guest Wi-Fi SSID but assigned a main wifi IP address?

What happens if e.g. I have Google Chromecast device that must be in the same network to cast and say a phone is connected on the Guest Wi-Fi but on on 192.168.101.x and the Chromecast is also on the same guest Wi-Fi but (now) assigned (by me) a Static IP of 192.168.1.10x, can they actually talk to each other i.e does this “same network” mean same the Wi-Fi or does it mean the same IP range?

thank you

k.

Last edited:
Hi, I like to to see what devices are online using named devices associated with MAC/ IP address.

I noticed recently that some but not all devices that are connected to a guest network 192.168.101.x or 102.x dependent on 2.4 or 5Ghz are available to be assigned static IPs.

If my main Network is 192.168.1.x (say) and the DHCP range is 192.168.1.20-.80 (say), can I assign these Guest Devices on 101 or 102 an IP address in the 1.10x etc range I.e. of the main network?

If this is possible, are they just connected to the Guest Wi-Fi SSID but assigned a main wifi IP address? What happens if e.g. I have Google Chrome device that must be in the same network to cast and say a phone is connected on the Guest Wi-Fi but on on 192.168.101.x and the Chromecast is also on the same guest Wi-Fi but assigned 192.168.1.10x, can they actually talk to each other I.e does this “same network” mean same the Wi-Fi or does it mean the same IP range?

thank you

k.

You either need to create a script or use guest wireless 2 or 3. GW1 can't have reservations in the GUI (unless you enable intranet access so it is in the same subnet.

You either need to create a script or use guest wireless 2 or 3. GW1 can't have reservations in the GUI (unless you enable intranet access so it is in the same subnet.
Thank you. Hmmm ok… so them (GW1 devices) showing up as ‘available’ to be assigned IP addresses in the DHCP reservation list, is this an error i.e. They should not be available?

And if I assign them an address on the main (non guest) network, what actually happens to them? they disappear off guest?

Thank you. Hmmm ok… so them (GW1 devices) showing up as ‘available’ to be assigned IP addresses in the DHCP reservation list, is this an error i.e. They should not be available?

And if I assign them an address on the main (non guest) network, what actually happens to them? they disappear off guest?

If you manage to assign them an IP from the main subnet they will lose all connectivity.

Maybe newer versions of code have added guest reservation ability but it was never there before. It would only work if you give them an IP in the same subnet they're connected to. Then when they roam to the other frequency, they'll lose connectivity since it is a different subnet.

Last edited:
Thank you drinkingbird, much appreciated.
I still wonder if this is a flaw or by design though.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!