What's new

Marvell Yukon 88E8056 >>Dlink DGL-4300>>DNS-323

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

pbls

Occasional Visitor
Hi there,i´ve become to get interested in networking and found your excellent website.Congratulations to all.
But now i have a question,my pc nic is a Marvell Yukon 88E8056 PCIE Gigabit controller and is connected to a DLink DGL-4300 router,my NIC has jumbo Frames enabled ( and thers no disabled setting) and when i try to enable Jumbo frames im my DNS-323 it simply becomes out of reaching in the configuration web page, stands on refreshing and doesn´t connect.
I know my router doesn´t have jumbo Frames,could that be the source of the problem?

Last edited:
I have a same problem like you. I have some intel NIC (support for 4k and 9k jumbo frame), Dlink DIR-655 and DNS-323. Mybe I will update firmware later on router and DNS-323.

unfortunately i have both firmwares updated to last version and no solution found until now.

I have the same issue. i have a machine with the gigabit yukon pcie card and another with an intel 1000gt card. with jumbo frames on, i cannot access the config pages on my dgl-4100 or any other devices on the network.

I have the exact same Marvell Yukon 88E8056 onboard NIC. I could set jumbo frames, but they actually reduce my transfer speeds. Since both the DNS-323 and the DGS-2205 switch I'm using are well-known to support jumbo frames, I tend to think that this NIC has some issues.

i´m going to buy a D-Link PCI ETHERNET GIGABIT DGE-530T and then i´ll tell if it works,altough a user ("fordem" )from the dns -323 forum wrote:

Short answer - yes your router is the problem.

Long answer ...

If the router (or switch) connecting two devices that are configured for jumbo frame does not support jumbo frame, you WILL lose the connection - the two devices will negotiate the MSS (maximum segment size) and if the router or switch does not support that segment size, it will simply discard the packets.

So - since your router does not support jumbo frame, when you configure the second of the two devices (in this case the DNS-323), the connection will fail. If you're curious about jumbo frame performance, set static ip addresses on both the PC and the DNS-323 and then connect them directly to one another with a cable that has all four pairs wired - it will automatically cross-over.

Last edited:
Ok. My DIR-655 support jumbo frames. And I have problem like @pbls. When I enable jumbo frame on PC, router and DNS-323, only DNS I can't see. Communication beetwen PC and router working normally.

buyed some Cat6 cables and the results are much better altough i can´t explain why..this is with jumbo frames on PC NIC set to 4000 and turned off on the DNS-323.

URL]

Attachments

• Cat6 no Jumbo 1GPS.jpg
    Cat6 no Jumbo 1GPS.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 342
Last edited:
Fresh upgrade ( a good one),
Well with Gigabit in every item but without jumbo frames enabled (because de router DLinK DGL-4300) doesn´t support it ) i had results pretty much like having 10/100,tired off this Gigabit BS went to the store and buyed a DGS1008D Gigabit switch wich supports Jumbo Frames until 9k,the results are awesome,just check the attachements (now with Jumbo Frames at 9000)

With out jumbo Frames

Jumbo 4000

Jumbo 9000

Now i´m a Happy camper. :cool:

Last edited:
Fresh upgrade ( a good one),
Well with Gigabit in every item but without jumbo frames enabled (because de router DLinK DGL-4300) doesn´t support it ) i had results pretty much like having 10/100,tired off this Gigabit BS went to the store and buyed a DGS1008D Gigabit switch wich supports Jumbo Frames until 9k,the results are awesome,just check the attachements (now with Jumbo Frames at 9000)

Now i´m a Happy camper. :cool:

I have the same 88E8056 onboard NIC as well as the DNS-323. For the NIC, what did you have to do to enable jumbo frames other than changing the "jumbo packet" property to 9014, if I remember correctly?

I'm not seeing any significant improvement after I did that.

I have the same 88E8056 onboard NIC as well as the DNS-323. For the NIC, what did you have to do to enable jumbo frames other than changing the "jumbo packet" property to 9014, if I remember correctly?

I'm not seeing any significant improvement after I did that.

You can only see the differences if the other computer(NAS) has Jumbo Packet enabled too.

PS:I have CAT6 UTP cables

You can only see the differences if the other computer(NAS) has Jumbo Packet enabled too.

When I experimented, I had the following setup and configs:

DNS-323 <-> DGS-2205 <-> PC
DNS-323 jumbo frames: 9000
PC jumbo packet: 9014
(I think 9000 and 9014 are actually equivalent values expressed a little differently).

With the above setup, the Windows Vista copy speed actually decreased a little than without jumbo frames.

When I experimented, I had the following setup and configs:

DNS-323 <-> DGS-2205 <-> PC
DNS-323 jumbo frames: 9000
PC jumbo packet: 9014
(I think 9000 and 9014 are actually equivalent values expressed a little differently).

With the above setup, the Windows Vista copy speed actually decreased a little than without jumbo frames.

And you've enabled Jumbo on the router too?

The DGS-2205 is an unmanaged gigabit switch that supports jumbo frames up to 9600; no router is involved.
Sorry my bad..then i don't now what could be holding you back,could you please post some benchmarks with and without jumbo Frames?
software dowloadable here and here.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!