What's new

Router with larger throughput help with streaming?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cpalcott

New Around Here
My main concern is improved streaming performance over the wired portion of my network for my Tivos (Netflix) and my Apple TVs. I stream my AIFF uncompressed music library from Itunes on the PC-Server listed below. Wireless connection with the TRENDnet TEW-432BRP has been solid with tolerable speed. Netflix HD streams on the Tivos has been without hiccup for the most part (with 16Meg Charter broadband). I have been experiencing some hiccups with Itunes streaming to my Apple TVs where audio will drop out for short spurts and album art will sometimes not display, usally when I am streaming to all 3 Apple TVs simultaneously using a rather large playlist. Would a new gig router with larger throughput and gig switch with jumbo frames help this any? I am interested in the EnGenius ESR9850 and the D-Link DGS-2208. Would these two work well in my setup?

Here is my network...

Currently using:
TRENDnet TEW-432BRP Wireless Router
LINKSYS EZXS55W 100T Switch
LINKSYS EZXS55W 100T Switch

Cat5e wired:
Tivo HD/100T
Tivo HD/100T
Tivo HD/100T
Apple TV (previous gen) /100T
PC/ GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L /Quad Core 3.0 Ghz/Realtek PCIe GBE Gig Nic/Windows 7
PC-Server/GIGABYTE GA-965P-DS3 /Core 2 Duo 3.0 Ghz/Marvell 88E8056 Gig Nic/Vista SP2

Wireless:
Gateway Laptop/802.11G
Droid 1/802.11G
Droid 1/802.11G
Apple Ipod Touch First Gen
Airport Express-Printer/802.11G-N

Routing throughput does not matter if your streaming is between LAN devices.

Gigabit will help only if you are exceeding 100 Mbps in total traffic. If you are streaming from a single machine running iTunes, the problem could be there.
Load up NetMeter on the streaming source machine and look at the bandwidth use.

I installed the trial version of net meter but I am not sure what I should looking for. I have it monitoring the marvel nic_. It seems to be showing some very high but short peaks but mostly hovering around 1.3 mbps.

You are looking to see what the bandwidth use is from the streaming source system during the periods when you are having problems, i.e. with three streams running.

Ok. That is what i have been doing. Ihave the stream running to all three apple TVs. Bandwidath seems to mostly around 1 mbps with peaks as high a 3 that appear to be happening when the track changes. Doesthis tell me bandwidth is not the problem?

Is this an audio or video stream? Bandwidth sounds like its audio.

Then you will be nowhere near the limit of a 100 Mbps connection, which is what NetMeter is reporting.

So, what you are saying is neither a new router or switch would have any effect on my audio streaming issues. Any other suggestions that might?