What's new

Massive loss of speed via wireless on DSL-AC68U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Max Spencer

Occasional Visitor
Hi to all,

I'm new to this forum and not the most gifted networker but I get by - mostly!

I recently upgraded my internet service to a 900 Mb/s service from Kcom (serves Hull and surroundings in East Yorkshire, UK). I took a wire directly to my Mac and am getting the full 900 Mb/s 24/7. However my wifi through the Asus DSL-AC68U has remained virtually the same (old service Lightstream 350) at between 150 - 350 Mb/s. I messed around with the channels which improved the speed a bit but I would expect close to the full speed when standing next to the router. I used to get 350 Mb/s standing next to it with the old service.
I have done plenty of surfing for solutions and have seen various suggestions for changes to the WAN settings on the router. The trouble is that I don't seem to have half of the options that the other users of this router have. In fact I can't even see where to change between ADSL and VDSL which I must have done when I originally set up the system.
Please can anyone tell me how to access settings such as DSL modulation, VDSL profile, Stability Adjustment, Current SNR margin, as these seem to be missing from my settings. I have attached screenshots of my WAN page.
I may well be asking the dumbest question ever, so please forgive me if that is the case.
Many thanks .
Max

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-07-16 at 16.17.56.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-16 at 16.17.56.png
    240.5 KB · Views: 189
  • Screen Shot 2020-07-16 at 16.17.32.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-16 at 16.17.32.png
    386.6 KB · Views: 203
You will not get your full speed over wireless using the DSL-AC68U.

To get closer, you will need an AX class router instead. Or, a client device with 3 antennae or more.

You will not get your full speed over wireless using the DSL-AC68U.

To get closer, you will need an AX class router instead. Or, a client device with 3 antennae or more.
Thanks for this L&LD, but 350 Mb/s Out of 900 standing next to the router? Also my DSL AC68U does have 3 antennae? If I could access the various settings I thought I might have a chance at upping the throughput. If not I will purchase something better suited. Thanks again.

Thanks for this L&LD, but 350 Mb/s Out of 900 standing next to the router? Also my DSL AC68U does have 3 antennae?
The limitation usually the client WiFi device. What clients are you testing it with? Which band are you connecting to, 2.4GHz or 5GHz?

If I could access the various settings I thought I might have a chance at upping the throughput. If not I will purchase something better suited. Thanks again.
If I understand you correctly you connected one of your clients by Ethernet cable to the router's LAN port and got 900Mbps? If so your ADLS/VDSL settings are fine. You may have WiFi-only issues though.

Thanks for this L&LD, but 350 Mb/s Out of 900 standing next to the router? Also my DSL AC68U does have 3 antennae? If I could access the various settings I thought I might have a chance at upping the throughput. If not I will purchase something better suited. Thanks again.

Yes, it could easily be 1/3 or less even right next to the router (worst place to check actually, ideally you should be 3 metres to 10 metres away).

The client device needs to have 3 antennae or more for an AC class connection to approach 900Mbps speeds. :)

You're not having any WiFi issues as far as I can guess.

Get a non-handheld device that you can put to Performance mode and with the AC power attached and see what speeds you get at a distance of at least 10 feet or more.

The limitation usually the client WiFi device. What clients are you testing it with? Which band are you connecting to, 2.4GHz or 5GHz?
As far as clients go, I have tried my iPad Pro, 2 laptops and three android phones. My iPad always received full 350 throughput on old service now still gets about the same. Others are typically slower although they were further away. Tried both 2.4GHz and 5GHz and latter is much faster in all cases but still dismal compared to wired.

If I understand you correctly you connected one of your clients by Ethernet cable to the router's LAN port and got 900Mbps? If so your ADLS/VDSL settings are fine. You may have WiFi-only issues though.
Yes, this I realise.
Really just need to know how to access the necessary settings on router to mess with VDSL Setup and/or any useful ideas on what’s causing the massive loss of speed.
Many thanks for your input, Colin

Yes, this I realise.
Really just need to know how to access the necessary settings on router to mess with VDSL Setup and/or any useful ideas on what’s causing the massive loss of speed.
Like I said, this doesn't sound like a VDSL setup issue. It sounds like it might be a WiFi and/or client issue. That's why I asked you what clients you were testing with.

EDIT: Just seen that part of your reply was embedded in the quote.

The router's Wireless > General page would be the place to start looking at the WiFi settings. Also if you look at the System Log > Wireless Log page you can see the link speed of your client's WiFi connection.

Last edited:
Like I said, this doesn't sound like a VDSL setup issue. It sounds like it might be a WiFi and/or client issue. That's why I asked you what clients you were testing with.

EDIT: Just seen that part of your reply was embedded in the quote.

The router's Wireless > General page would be the place to start looking at the WiFi settings. Also if you look at the System Log > Wireless Log page you can see the link speed of your client's WiFi connection.
Sorry about the embedding, new to this!
Not much on the wireless page to adjust and the wireless log isn’t showing any obvious clues. Is it possible that the router isn’t up to the task? Even if I move around while staying line of sight I’m not coaxing any more speed. Used to get maximum close up via iPad with slower fibre subscription, now getting under 40% of new super fast one. I was hoping to avoid spending on a new router as this one has been extremely reliable. Still would love to know why I can’t access options in WAN section over and above my posted screenshots in original message. Thanks again, Colin.

I can't help you with the DSL modem side of things as I have the non-DSL version of that router.

What was the WiFi connection rates of your client device as shown on Network Map > View List?

Under System Log > Wireless Log what does it say for "Chanspec:" for both the 2.4GHz band and the 5GHz band?

@Max Spencer, with two DSL-AC68U's connected optimally to each other you will not get anywhere close to your new ISP speeds.

https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/DSLAC68U/specifications/

With a maximum connection rate of 1300Mbps, the best you can hope for is around 650Mbps (router to router). And that would be achievable only when using one as a router and one as a Media Bridge to a wired client.

You will need to upgrade the router (or, add an AX AP) to get faster with the client devices you have.

EDIT: The router's Network Map > View List will also show the WiFi connection rates.
Looked at these, too. Not too sure what extra this is telling me. If the Speedtest says 350 then that’s the Internet throughput, no? As you can tell, I’m not super confident with the theory behind the science but I guess I just want to be sure it’s not a setup issue prior to purchasing a new router. And then that’s a whole new problem. If I replace, what will give me close to the 900 Mb/s in line of sight/minimum loss around the home?

@Max Spencer, with two DSL-AC68U's connected optimally to each other you will not get anywhere close to your new ISP speeds.

https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/DSLAC68U/specifications/

With a maximum connection rate of 1300Mbps, the best you can hope for is around 650Mbps (router to router). And that would be achievable only when using one as a router and one as a Media Bridge to a wired client.

You will need to upgrade the router (or, add an AX AP) to get faster with the client devices you have.
Shouldn’t I be able to get 900 Mb/s in line of sight with just the 1 router? Isn’t it 1300 for 5GHz and 600 for 2.4? Am I missing something?

1300Mbps connection rate for 5GHz with client devices with 3 antennae or more. Less the overhead, you will never reach the connection rate (at best, around 40% less).

Looked at these, too. Not too sure what extra this is telling me. If the Speedtest says 350 then that’s the Internet throughput, no? As you can tell, I’m not super confident with the theory behind the science but I guess I just want to be sure it’s not a setup issue prior to purchasing a new router. And then that’s a whole new problem. If I replace, what will give me close to the 900 Mb/s in line of sight/minimum loss around the home?
I keep asking you for specific information but you don't supply it. Without the answers to my questions I can't determine whether your issue is caused by a bad configuration setting or a more fundamental problem with the router.

Just to add weight to what everyone else is saying. 350Mbps is pretty good going for most WiFi clients. So it doesn’t sound like you have an issue.

To get more you need a client that supports 3x3 AC. These are few and far between though, for example all
iPhones are 2x2, MacBook Pro 2016+ are 3x3, they are one of the very few I know of with it built in. Even with 3x3 clients 900Mbps is the absolute maximum you should see in perfect conditions, realistically expect 700-800 even in optimum conditions.
EDIT: The iPhone SE (2nd Gen), 11 and 11 Pro and iPad Pro released March 2020 are all AX compatible.

Also, the 68U is an entry/mid level and pretty old device now. The throughput you are asking from it is at its outer limits.

To RELIABLY get 900Mbps THROUGHPUT via WiFi you need an AX router AND client. That is to say, your phones/Macs etc all need replacing - however that said, very few client devices support AX so far as it’s so new. I don’t think any Apple products do yet.
Even with AX you need a good signal, so probably need 2 or even 3 routers/access points around the house to ensure that throughput in all rooms (of an average size house).
If you REALLY want 900Mbps then budget ~£500+ on routers/access points plus the cost of replacing all your devices with AX ones (once they are available).

For comparison, I have a 350Mbps fibre line, and 4x high end AC routers running in an AiMesh with Ethernet backhaul. It’s cost me ~£1500 in routers, cables and installation to get the use of that full speed in every room (and I will soon be replacing the routers for AX ones to enable me to get higher speeds when I upgrade my fibre line as you have, so a another £1000 or so).
People like to skimp on their routers but as an asset you use and rely on every day, it makes sense to invest in a decent one IMO!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Just to add weight to what everyone else is saying. 350Mbps is pretty good going for most WiFi clients. So it doesn’t sound like you have an issue.

To get more you need a client that supports 3x3 AC. These are few and far between though, for example all
iPhones are 2x2, MacBook Pro 2016+ are 3x3, they are one of the very few I know of with it built in. Even with 3x3 clients 900Mbps is the absolute maximum you should see in perfect conditions, realistically expect 700-800 even in optimum conditions.
EDIT: The iPhone SE (2nd Gen), 11 and 11 Pro and iPad Pro released March 2020 are all AX compatible.

Also, the 68U is an entry/mid level and pretty old device now. The throughput you are asking from it is at its outer limits.

To RELIABLY get 900Mbps THROUGHPUT via WiFi you need an AX router AND client. That is to say, your phones/Macs etc all need replacing - however that said, very few client devices support AX so far as it’s so new. I don’t think any Apple products do yet.
Even with AX you need a good signal, so probably need 2 or even 3 routers/access points around the house to ensure that throughput in all rooms (of an average size house).
If you REALLY want 900Mbps then budget ~£500+ on routers/access points plus the cost of replacing all your devices with AX ones (once they are available).

For comparison, I have a 350Mbps fibre line, and 4x high end AC routers running in an AiMesh with Ethernet backhaul. It’s cost me ~£1500 in routers, cables and installation to get the use of that full speed in every room (and I will soon be replacing the routers for AX ones to enable me to get higher speeds when I upgrade my fibre line as you have, so a another £1000 or so).
People like to skimp on their routers but as an asset you use and rely on every day, it makes sense to invest in a decent one IMO!

I hear you on the cost, JDB, it’s a constant Money pit to keep up.
I guess you must be covering quite an area to need such a setup. As a person with obvious experience in this area, do you have any hardware recommendations? I.e. what router would be a good starting point to output maximum possible wireless Bandwidth? There seem to be so many on the market. Many thanks for your thoughts.

AFAIK Kcom is ethernet fibre not VDSL, maybe wrong.

Excellent point!
Easily found out, is it an Ethernet cable from the router to the ONT, or an RJ11 cable to the phone socket in use?

Assuming it is the former (on the basis VDSL doesn’t support anything above ~100Mbps!) then the use of a DSL-AC88U is not required and the request for DSL settings are not relevant (and likely explains why the OP can not find the options expected as they are not shown when the router is setup for Ethernet WAN). It is doing PPPoE and not VDSL so lots more options for routers are available to the OP.

I hear you on the cost, JDB, it’s a constant Money pit to keep up.
I guess you must be covering quite an area to need such a setup. As a person with obvious experience in this area, do you have any hardware recommendations? I.e. what router would be a good starting point to output maximum possible wireless Bandwidth? There seem to be so many on the market. Many thanks for your thoughts.

If you can confirm the connections per above post as well as the layout/size of your house I’d happily make some suggestions for you.

RE area covered...
It’s a 3 storey house so obviously a bit more than average to cover.

Fibre comes in at 1 corner and has the main router there.

That router serves quite effectively the “column” above it (bedrooms over the 2 floors above).

Middle floor has another router in the opposite corner to the main router. Our lounge is on this floor so wanted good Wi-fi here (many people aren’t so bothered about upstairs for obvious reasons). It also serves the kitchen below it very well.

Top floor has another router, directly above the one in the lounge. It’s only required as it is where my office is so need Ethernet ports for my NAS and other devices there, plus it’s nice to have 1300Mbps connection wirelessly in my office on my MacBook Pro.

Final router is in the Conservatory. As it’s effectively outside the other routers struggle to serve it adequately via 5Ghz. This is the kids play room so has Apple TV etc that need good service. Also has the benefit of covering the garden very well.

People often forget that 5Ghz is rubbish at penetrating walls, so to get really high throughput rates everywhere really does require quite a few access points.

I’m also sensitive to having seamless coverage as I spend a lot of time making VoIP and WifiCalling on my mobile while I wonder around the house (not very good at sitting still in my office!). So that also adds to my need for good signal everywhere.

In a 2 storey, 3 bed house, if you could locate the main router in the middle it would be fine, but very often it has to be placed sub-optimally so adding an additional access point is the only way to get the coverage needed.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!