What's new

Massive problems with firmware 386.9 on RT-AC5300 router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Mr.Ash

New Around Here
When I install firmware 386.9 on my ASUS RT-AC5300 router, I experience massive problems in many areas. The internet connection itself works, but the following services do not work anymore:

- FTP access to the connected USB hard drive
- Streaming services like Crunchyroll or Netflix can no longer connect to the server.

Neither rebooting nor resetting the router to factory settings solves the problems.

If I install the previous firmware 386.7_2 everything is back to normal and works as usual without problems.

What is the reason for this?

When I install firmware 386.9 on my ASUS RT-AC5300 router, I experience massive problems in many areas. The internet connection itself works, but the following services do not work anymore:

- FTP access to the connected USB hard drive
- Streaming services like Crunchyroll or Netflix can no longer connect to the server.

Neither rebooting nor resetting the router to factory settings solves the problems.

If I install the previous firmware 386.7_2 everything is back to normal and works as usual without problems.

What is the reason for this?

Are you seeing any errors related to NVRAM? Seems 386.9 may need a bit too much NVRAM for some of the older routers.

After factory reset, are you re-entering the settings manually or restoring a backup? If restoring a backup, that's defeating the purpose of the reset, as all the old and unused NVRAM stuff will get put back.

I experience massive problems

Please, report the issues you see in the release thread. Better description is needed.

Well, I am not an expert on all these settings, I can only describe the symptoms that appeared after this firmware update.

Firstly, FTP access to my connected USB hard drive no longer worked, and secondly, streaming services such as Crunchyroll or Netflix were no longer accessible.

After resetting the factory settings, I naturally restored a backup of the configuration file, since the new setup of all settings is a very time-consuming process.

After downgrading to 368.7_2, everything was back to normal and working as it should.

What kind of additional information is needed?

After resetting the factory settings, I naturally restored a backup of the configuration file, since the new setup of all settings is a very time-consuming process.
As has been previously suggested by another user, when you do a hard factory reset do not restore from a backup configuration file. It is possible, especially when using a configuration file from a previous or later firmware (or Asus stock to Merlin or Merlin to Asus stock firmware) that backup file is introducing problems or issues in the new firmware after hard factory reset. Also eject the USB hard drive from the router before doing a hard factory reset. Then do not connect that USB drive to the router until you can verify the router is working properly after initial configuration post hard factory reset. In certain cases one may have to reinstall/reconfigure any addon scripts or settings that use the USB drive attached to the router after performing a hard factory reset.

I can't replicate the issues you have on my 5300.

As has been previously suggested by another user, when you do a hard factory reset do not restore from a backup configuration file. It is possible, especially when using a configuration file from a previous or later firmware (or Asus stock to Merlin or Merlin to Asus stock firmware) that backup file is introducing problems or issues in the new firmware after hard factory reset. Also eject the USB hard drive from the router before doing a hard factory reset. Then do not connect that USB drive to the router until you can verify the router is working properly after initial configuration post hard factory reset. In certain cases one may have to reinstall/reconfigure any addon scripts or settings that use the USB drive attached to the router after performing a hard factory reset.
people fail to ask themselves - if I have to reset my router, should I re-use a possibly corrupt config file with my freshly reset router? the answer should be a resounding NO.
To me, it's common sense. I've heard that's not as common anymore, though

people fail to ask themselves - if I have to reset my router, should I re-use a possibly corrupt config file with my freshly reset router? the answer should be a resounding NO.
To me, it's common sense. I've heard that's not as common anymore, though
You missed the point,

If it ain't easy...

Well, I am not an expert on all these settings, I can only describe the symptoms that appeared after this firmware update.

Firstly, FTP access to my connected USB hard drive no longer worked, and secondly, streaming services such as Crunchyroll or Netflix were no longer accessible.

After downgrading to 368.7_2, everything was back to normal and working as it should.

What kind of additional information is needed?

You totally defeated the purpose of the factory reset. If you aren't willing to reconfigure from scratch then you need to stay on the older firmware.

Well, before every firmware update of my RT-AC5300 I always create a backup of my settings, so my current backup is based on the settings of version 386.7_2 (where everything works as it should). Exactly this config backup I have restored after the factory reset and not an older backup of an earlier version.

Because of the previous answers I ask myself why there is the function to create a backup config file, if you should not restore it after a factory reset. I was previously of the opinion that a backup of the config is intended precisely for this purpose, otherwise it would make no sense.

Anyway, I will update the next days again to the version 386.9, do a factory reset and then just define all settings manually again. But if that doesn't help either, I definitely don't know what to do.

But if that doesn't help either, I definitely don't know what to do

You stay on the firmware that works for you. You have a setting backup for it. Restore the configuration and don't stress out too much about updates.

Because of the previous answers I ask myself why there is the function to create a backup config file, if you should not restore it after a factory reset.
Because it is a troubleshooting step to do a hard factory reset and reconfigure without using a backed up configuration file. Same as it is a troubleshooting step to not have a USB device attached to the router when performing a hard factory reset. The idea is to troubleshoot from as close to bare bones setup as possible as a way to isolate, troubleshoot, and narrow down the cause of the issue or problem you are experiencing.

If manually reconfiguring the router after a hard factory reset is; too time consuming, or something cannot do, or do not want to do, then stick with the previous firmware that works and don't upgrade.

if you reset after a firmware upgrade it is simple: you set it up manually and never by restoring a settings file.
The AC5300 is a stable animal and runs smoothly on 386.9.
User L&LD has some nice manuals that can help you and will help you to solve your troubles.

My additional advize:
use something like a screengrabber (eg. snagit) once you have done your installation and configuration settings so that you can switfly configure a next time after a reset.

So, have now reinstalled version 386.9, done a factory reset and redefined all settings manually (took a few hours). Now it seems that everything works normally again. From this point of view, this tedious procedure has actually brought something.

Nevertheless, I don't like the fact that after a simple firmware update such problems suddenly occur (which was never the case with previous updates).

Especially negative is the fact that creating a backup of the settings and restoring them is basically pointless (although this function would be exactly for such cases). This function could also be removed from the firmware or at least provided with a warning that it is useless in case of a firmware update.

Anyway, I thank you for your help and hope that this will not happen again in the future.

See this:

Save/restore actually works between different firmware versions and even routers, BUT it depends what settings you are trying to restore and from/to what hardware. Like most things around Asus - not guaranteed to work and poorly documented. As per Asus - if it doesn't work press the Reset button. :)

So, have now reinstalled version 386.9, done a factory reset and redefined all settings manually (took a few hours). Now it seems that everything works normally again. From this point of view, this tedious procedure has actually brought something.

Nevertheless, I don't like the fact that after a simple firmware update such problems suddenly occur (which was never the case with previous updates).

Especially negative is the fact that creating a backup of the settings and restoring them is basically pointless (although this function would be exactly for such cases). This function could also be removed from the firmware or at least provided with a warning that it is useless in case of a firmware update.

Anyway, I thank you for your help and hope that this will not happen again in the future.

In my opinion the backup should only be for use on the exact same version of code - something happens and you need to reset and restore. When firmware updates (especially a major update) various things in NVRAM may get depreciated, used differently, etc. Usually I'll only do a dirty upgrade if going up like 386.7 to 386.9 but in this case it seems like a full clean upgrade is needed, and that means factory reset without restoring settings. Definitely when going 384 to 386 or 386 to 388 a clean upgrade is always warranted.

When I take a backup of settings (Asus router, pfSense, what ever), I put the current firmware version info as part of the filename of the backup and never try to restore that backup, if firmware version has changed.

While it may "appear" updating the firmware is a simple process. In reality, under the hood, a firmware update may have significant changes over the installed firmware including NVRAM values/entries. Using a backup config file to restore settings will likely not have any issues when those settings are restored to the same firmware version and same router as they were exported from. But because settings and options can change between firmware versions, its possible restoring a backup configuration file from a older firmware version could introduce issues if the values or settings are not present or have been changed by the newer firmware.

When one starts having issues post backup configuration import, a common sense troubleshooting step is to do a hard reset and reconfigure the router from scratch without importing the backup configuration file. The reason is to test or check if that configuration file was the cause of the issue(s). In your case it appears that previous firmware version backup configuration file may have been the cause (or a possible contributing factor) to the issues you experienced with the new firmware.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!