What's new

Max number of 2.4ghz clients

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

With 80 devices on 2.4GHz are you using same channel APs or separate channel APs?

Even my small business Cisco AP only supports 50 active clients per radio and 200 connections per radio and each AP has 2 radios. And yes the Cisco AP has a 2.5g port plus an extra one 1g port so 2 per AP.
That's just a recommendation. It depends on the application

Till your IPs run out or your bandwidth runs out. Which ever comes first.
There should be 254 IP's available and the nodes is on a different subnet. Bandwidth doesn't "run out", the protocol is smart enough to manage it.
With 80 devices on 2.4GHz are you using same channel APs or separate channel APs?

Even my small business Cisco AP only supports 50 active clients per radio and 200 connections per radio and each AP has 2 radios. And yes the Cisco AP has a 2.5g port plus an extra one 1g port so 2 per AP.

I have the STA's split over different nodes. The nodes are setup as a mesh network all on the same channel.

Whilst there is 80 devices, there's less than 20 on each node and most of the nodes topography is in a star formation to reduce hops / repeated traffic.

This is why I like AIMesh. It allows me to do what was impossible before with repeaters. Smart Connect let's you load balance over your nodes and shunt busyclients onto the nearest node to reduce congestion.

Also, WiFi calling just works on AIMesh even when you roam between nodes.

There should be 254 IP's available and the nodes is on a different subnet. Bandwidth doesn't "run out", the protocol is smart enough to manage it.

I have the STA's split over different nodes. The nodes are setup as a mesh network all on the same channel.

Whilst there is 80 devices, there's less than 20 on each node and most of the nodes topography is in a star formation to reduce hops / repeated traffic.

This is why I like AIMesh. It allows me to do what was impossible before with repeaters. Smart Connect let's you load balance over your nodes and shunt busyclients onto the nearest node to reduce congestion.

Also, WiFi calling just works on AIMesh even when you roam between nodes.
Even if node on a different subnet, a router is needed to send traffic out of the subnet. Also x.x.x.0 is the Berkley broadcast and can be problematic for some applications

Bandwidth has run out when there is so much traffic the network is unpleasant to use or worse starts dropping packets

The number of IP addresses don't really make any difference as you just use a larger subnet or multiple networks.

Can you variable subnet masks an Asus Merlin?

Smart Connect let's you load balance over your nodes and shunt busyclients onto the nearest node to reduce congestion.

No, it doesn't. Can you post a picture of your AiMesh GUI screen?

Even if node on a different subnet, a router is needed to send traffic out of the subnet. Also x.x.x.0 is the Berkley broadcast and can be problematic for some applications

Bandwidth has run out when there is so much traffic the network is unpleasant to use or worse starts dropping packets

I'm not sure I see your point. My bandwidth is 1 gbps/1 gbps. It serves me well and there's no packet loss.

I'm not sure I see your point. My bandwidth is 1 gbps/1 gbps. It serves me well and there's no packet loss.
It is relevant to the OP's question

It's in the smart connect screen.

Smart Connect can't move clients from one node to another. The client decides where to connect. I just wanted to see the map of this impossible wireless AiMesh system, exceeding Asus number of nodes recommendation and performing similar to wired with 1ms latency. ;)

Smart Connect can't move clients from one node to another. The client decides where to connect. I just wanted to see the map of this impossible wireless AiMesh system, exceeding Asus number of nodes recommendation and performing similar to wired with 1ms latency. ;)

I don't know if it's smart connect, AI mesh or clients themselves but the point is it works and that's good enough for me.

As for your other points,
myself and others have already made multiple posts including screen shots. Refer to these if you need "proof".

Manually assigned IPs are not equivalent to maximum clients per router. :)

Manually assigned IPs are not equivalent to maximum clients per router. :)

Correct and even more interesting is that a host (client) dose not have to have an IP address to communicate with another host!

Are all those IP active? Are do you have a lot of cleanup in DHCP so you can reuse IP addresses?

Last edited:
Folks, please stop with the name calling.

Look folks. If you can't participate in a thread without resorting to insulting other forum members, then step away from the keyboard.

I've seen an increase in antagonistic and rude behavior on many threads lately. If you need to blow off steam, do it elsewhere. A good brisk walk often does wonders.

If you don't take the hint, be prepared for a timeout.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!