What's new

mDNS repeater with guest network/vlan

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

robca

Regular Contributor
I have been happily using a guest network to isolate my IoT devices on a separate VLAN across two different RT68U routers with Merlin. For more info, see here https://www.snbforums.com/threads/rt-ac68u-guest-networks-in-ap-mode-using-vlan-and-iptables.64172/

I have now installed a new device which uses mDNS to be discovered by its app (a WiiM Pro network streamer). In order for that app/device to work together, it has to be discoverable using mDNS https://forum.wiimhome.com/threads/app-option-for-fixed-ip-devices-on-another-network.127/

According to the WiiM forum, I need to "mDNS repeater plus fw rules for mDNS multicast on 5353 work well on edgerouter.". I understand the second part (firewall rules for mDNS multicast in 5353), but I'm not sure how I can setup a mDNS repeater between my vlans

Thanks in advance for any pointer to solve this

From memory I think you need to add the following lines to /tmp/avahi/avahi-daemon.conf.
Code:
[reflector]
enable-reflector=yes
Thanks!

I never used Avahi before. I'm assuming I will need to enable the service in entware following something like thishttps://www.linksysinfo.org/index.php?threads/avahi-tutorial-configuring-a-reflector-aka-mdns-repeater.75706/

Is there any other Avahi tutorial I should look at instead?

EDIT: it looks as if Avahi is already running on the Asuswrt Merlin firmware. Ok, that makes things easier :)

Just in case anyone else reads this in the future.

My main network is br0, IoT vlan is br1. WiiM uses fixed IP 192.168.20.170

Must add avahi-daemon.conf.add file to /jffs/configs to change the avahi configuration and enable the redirector

Code:
admin@RT-AC68U-7BA8:/tmp/home/root# cat /jffs/configs/avahi-daemon.conf.add

[reflector]
enable-reflector=yes

Then add the ability for devices on the main LAN to access WiiM and finally allow multicast to work across vlans (br0 and br1). I'm using a script in /jffs/scripts/firewall-start and added

Code:
# WiiM configuration begins
# make WiiM reachable from LAN (one way)
iptables -D FORWARD -i br0 -o br1 -d 192.168.20.170 -j ACCEPT >/dev/null 2>&1
iptables -I FORWARD -i br0 -o br1 -d 192.168.20.170 -j ACCEPT

# forward multicast on port 5353 between networks
iptables -D INPUT -i br1 -p udp -m multiport --dport 5353 -j ACCEPT >/dev/null 2>&1
iptables -I INPUT -i br1 -p udp -m multiport --dport 5353 -j ACCEPT
iptables -D INPUT -i br1 -p tcp -m multiport --dport 5353 -j ACCEPT >/dev/null 2>&1
iptables -I INPUT -i br1 -p tcp -m multiport --dport 5353 -j ACCEPT
#end WiiM configuration

I'm deleting the rule from iptables in case firewall-start is called once more, to avoid problems (the -D lines)

I can now use the WiiM app on the main lan controlling WiiM on the IoT network.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!