What's new

Merlin 386.1 Beta 4 - AiMesh 2x AX86U, Node constantly disconnecting clients

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hey folks, quick update here: I set my second AX86u as AP, no more that buggy "AI mesh"

So, for me, I had a host of issues with AIMesh. Solved at this point.
First thing to look for when running hardwired is if the node keeps trying to connect to the main via WiFi. My node did that try and fail on 2.4, try on 5. Over and over every 2-3 seconds. If I toggled the Ethernet Backhaul Mode the WiFi attempts would stop. Still, no client ever connected to the node. Toggle Connection Priority on the node, I'd get a few clients that would connect, but they would drop off within 30 minutes.

I don't run scripts, add-ons, etc. Just static IP for various devices.
What worked, install b4 on both node and main. From AIMesh menu-> System Settings System Reset to Factory Default.. Configured the main and added the node. Configured Ethernet backhaul. Though I have only 1 node, I optimized the mesh. After an hour or so, from AIMesh menu-> System Settings, System Reboot.

That was a few days back and I have had zero issues. Devices I thought should choose the node are connected to the node. WiFi has not dropped any clients. Just no issues.

It may not be the most elegant troubleshooting, but I had exhausted all the troubleshooting, plus had never read the WiFi backhaul issue I saw. YMMV as always.

@Sky1111, your single point of AiMesh failure is at odds with many reported and even many more unreported success stories here and elsewhere.

AiMesh v2.0 is far from unstable for me and many other customers. Even when only on Beta 4 right now.

I'm sure there are environmental variables and maybe even configuration issues that are contributing to your problems with AiMesh, but they are not common. And I was certainly able to overcome them for the networks I setup.

Thanks @L&LD I had a feeling WPS would have an effect here.
Ok I will redo that with WPS turned off and do a full reset of the node as you suggested. Fingers crossed. I'll get back to you once that's done.
Thank you so much!

Ok so that worked. Thank you @GHammer and @L&LD ! But I'm just on regular AiMesh. Connection is not great, but just OK. So what is the next step to get the wired backhaul working without screwing up the current success?

If you have let it sit like that for at least 15 minutes, rebooted the System (via the AiMesh GUI) and it's still stable...

Plug in the Ethernet cable to the 2.5GbE ports on both routers.

Let it sit like that at least an hour.

Enable the wired backhaul mode. Wait at least 15 minutes, testing that the AiMesh is still working and stable.

Reboot the System via the GUI one last time.

Done and working @L&LD , thank you!
I'll test it a bit longer but all seems to be working now. What should I do in the node's settings under management to ensure optimal stability and performance?

1611079507548.png

That's disappointing.

Does using the normal LAN port on the main router and the normal WAN port on the node help?

If you leave it disabled in management and it shows that Ethernet is being used, then just leave it disabled for now.

See if not using the 2.5 LAN has better results.

Hi @GHammer and @L&LD , thank you for the tip. I've just started testing with Lan (main router) to Wan (node) and it's working so far. Only thing I'm not certain is whether I am connecting to the node successfully or if I am on the main router's signal. I'm sure I'll discover it within the next few hours. Very disappointed that the 2.5 to 2.5 doesn't seem to be working. Then again, I only have a 450mbit connection now and when I upgrade later this year, I'll only be getting gigabit, so not sure how much that will affect performance. On the other hand, I don't really see any other use for the 2.5 ports for me, so I'm a bit disappointed to say the least. These routers aren't cheap and it would be good if this worked. Makes me wonder if one of the routers has a hardware issue or if this is a software issue, since @L&LD seems to have made it work many times for his clients.

I hope that you'll be able to report that with the 386.1 release final, the issue with the 2.5GbE backhaul will be resolved for you too. :)

Thanks @L&LD , could it be a hardware issue though? Since you said it works perfectly well with your clients. I don't want to report something invalid to Merlin.

It may be a hardware issue, yes.

I would be swapping the roles of the two RT-AX86U's to test for that. Make the node the main router and vice-versa.

Of course, you'll need to do a proper and full reset once again! But what an opportunity to practice. :)

BTW, I didn't mean to report it to RMerlin, I meant to just let 'us' know when it finally works for you.

Does anyone have a working AiMesh with two AX86Us working properly with 2.5GBE backhaul? I don't feel like resetting everything again!

Mine is still going strong. :cool:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!