What's new

Merlin 386.7_2 bug on AX68U: random reboot

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

KattinVN

Occasional Visitor
Hi guys
My old router is AC3100 currently running 386.7_2 without issue
I decided upgrade it to Wifi6 so i choose AX68U, buy it from local store at china a few day ago
after received I flash merlin 386.7_2 but the router auto reboot randomly anytime ~every 1-3 hours

After few day check:
#1. Checksum SHA256 386.7_2 to verify file correctstill reboot randomly
#2. Check power linestill reboot randomly
#3. Factory default on webUI also tick "Initialize all the settings"still reboot randomly
#4. Not setting anything on router, only set SSID and passwordstill reboot randomly
#5. Turn off setting on web interface i think it's the faultstill reboot randomly
#6. A whole day no device connect to AX68Ustill reboot randomly
#7. Flash merlin 386.5_2 and factory resetstill reboot randomly
#8. Flash merlin 386.5 and factory reset/not change anything on settingcurrenly testing
#9. Flash stock rom 386.49479 use same setting on merlin 386.7_2work perfecly fine

I hope @RMerlin can find out the bug :(

Last edited:
This router is not very popular here on SNB Forums and has quite a bit issues reported:

If you can, return it and go for RT-AX86S or RT-AX86U instead. Both are better routers.

If the router is crashing then I'll need the crashlog entries from the system log.

If the router is crashing then I'll need the crashlog entries from the system log.
setting "Log only messages more urgent than": should i choose debug or all ?

This router is not very popular here on SNB Forums and has quite a bit issues reported:

If you can, return it and go for RT-AX86S or RT-AX86U instead. Both are better routers.
AX86 seri so expensive, i can go that and i cant return so i stick to AX68U :(

@RMerlin here is system log of 386.7_2, random reboot and sometime cant reconnect wifi

@RMerlin here is system log of 386.7_2, random reboot and sometime cant reconnect wifi
The router does not look like it's crashed. The router was rebooted from the web interface at 14:24. Then it looks like the power was removed sometime after 14:30 and the power was restored at about 15:09.

Check the power supply for loose connections.

Or check the kids if they rebooted the system for reasons of their own... :)

The router does not look like it's crashed. The router was rebooted from the web interface at 14:24. Then it looks like the power was removed sometime after 14:30 and the power was restored at about 15:09.

Check the power supply for loose connections.
no, like i said on thread #1 stock rom 386.49479 on asus website - work perfecly fine, on 3 day i run merlin 386.7_2 it reboot a hundred time
Or check the kids if they rebooted the system for reasons of their own... :)
only me in house, no one else :rolleyes:
it just random reboot, no matter what

i currently testing more merlin rom

If you're not using a saved backup config file from your old router to configure the RT-AX68U and a full (and proper) reset to factory defaults isn't giving you a stable network, the only conclusion is that the hardware is faulty. Return and buy another RT-AX68U (do not exchange it, the original return period will apply).

Here is what I would do to rule out user/firmware errors.

Your stated issues are not normal on any of the many RT-AX68Us I have set up for my customers. There is nothing for RMerlin to 'find out'. 386.7_2 works extremely well.

If you're not using a saved backup config file from your old router to configure the RT-AX68U and a full (and proper) reset to factory defaults isn't giving you a stable network, the only conclusion is that the hardware is faulty. Return and buy another RT-AX68U (do not exchange it, the original return period will apply).

Here is what I would do to rule out user/firmware errors.

Your stated issues are not normal on any of the many RT-AX68Us I have set up for my customers.
i think because i using model from china maybe it different model US, so the rom merlin not compatible because i run stock rom it perfectly fine

I don't think that is it.

As others told you, there no crash there. First time it was explicitly rebooted from the webui:

Code:
Aug 27 14:24:26 rc_service: httpd 1009:notify_rc reboot

And second time since there is a significant time gap, the most likely reason is a power outage, or the router was turned off/unplugged.

A crash would have generated log entries.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!