What's new

Merlin AC-88U firmware 386.2_4 Failed - Router wont start

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

zincbod

New Around Here
Hi all. I just updated my AC-88U formware to AC88U_386.2_4 and it seemed to complete ok. I got the usual prompt to "restart the router manuall". When i then did, it wont come back on ! The router shows a flashing power light (first light in the row), then briefly lights up the Internet and LAN light and then all lights shut off. Any ideas what i do next?

Thanks for the lead Tech9 but it seems to be dead. I tried the two options above and the Asus Firmware restoration tool gets to 78% and fails every time. Any other ideas?

Thanks

Ni
Hi all. I just updated my AC-88U formware to AC88U_386.2_4 and it seemed to complete ok. I got the usual prompt to "restart the router manuall". When i then did, it wont come back on ! The router shows a flashing power light (first light in the row), then briefly lights up the Internet and LAN light and then all lights shut off. Any ideas what i do next?
Are you sure you have loaded right software? There is a RT-AX88U also. Best do a double check.

Asus Firmware restoration tool gets to 78%

It takes time and the tool is sometimes inaccurate. Start the process and wait patiently for the router to reboot. It may take 30min or more. If it still doesn't work, your other option is CFE mini webserver upload, but you have to be very careful - no router model verification there. Same preparation as firmware restoration tool, but you access the mini webserver at router's default IP address. Double check everything before you hit upload.

Use a TFTP client instead. I've frequently had issues with Asus's recovery tool aborting mid-upload.

You can use FTP Rush V2 (the newer V3 version lost TFTP support).

Windows also has a simple cli TFTP option under Programs and Features > Turn Windows features on or off > scroll until you see the TFTP Client checkbox.

It takes time and the tool is sometimes inaccurate. Start the process and wait patiently for the router to reboot. It may take 30min or more. If it still doesn't work, your other option is CFE mini webserver upload, but you have to be very careful - no router model verification there. Same preparation as firmware restoration tool, but you access the mini webserver at router's default IP address. Double check everything before you hit upload.
Thanks Tech9. Regarding the waiting, the program returns a message of "failed upload" at 78%, so its not just stalling, it actually stops. Im not sure what the CFE is so will look into that. Thanks

Use a TFTP client instead. I've frequently had issues with Asus's recovery tool aborting mid-upload.

You can use FTP Rush V2 (the newer V3 version lost TFTP support).
Thanks RMerlin. I have FTP RushV2.2 but am a bit lost on what to do then. I tried to connect using the Quick connect and selected TFTP at the top. It seems to show a connection (i have the LAN cable plugged into port 1 on the router), but i dont see any file structure or system so not sure what to do next. Can you help?

Thanks RMerlin. I have FTP RushV2.2 but am a bit lost on what to do then. I tried to connect using the Quick connect and selected TFTP at the top. It seems to show a connection (i have the LAN cable plugged into port 1 on the router), but i dont see any file structure or system so not sure what to do next. Can you help?
This is normal, there is no filesystem. Just drag and drop the firmware image to the remote side. You should then see an upload in progress appear at the bottom. Let it go, then wait until your router reboots itself. If after 5 minutes it hasn't rebooted, manually power cycle the router (some models seem to get stuck after flashing and won't reboot automatically).