Merlin firmware for the new RT-AX86U?

HWDan

Occasional Visitor
BCM

View attachment 26373
BCM6710 is not the central processor. It's the A/D(analog to digital), D/A(digital to analog), and PA/LNA(low noise/power amp) included in it. From the AX86U board photo, you can see the BCM6710 is located next to antenna with SKY85743--an 5GHz power amp chips in between. So, if Boardcom said BCM6710 is 6GHz capable, it's still unlikely that AX86U is firmware ungradable to wifi 6E.
I'm just making an educated guess that any wifi 6e router will need to be a tri-band router with 3 separate radios, one for each band. It would be unlikely for any of the 2 radios even if they are labeled as supporting 6E, to effectively be able to be broadcasting on more than one band at the same time right?

chatr

Occasional Visitor
I'm just making an educated guess that any wifi 6e router will need to be a tri-band router with 3 separate radios, one for each band. It would be unlikely for any of the 2 radios even if they are labeled as supporting 6E, to effectively be able to be broadcasting on more than one band at the same time right?
For example the triband Asus GT-AXE11000.

1599033876-5f4f5214ad6cd.jpg
wi2.jpg
wi3.jpg
wi2.jpg

Attachments

mac_angel

Occasional Visitor
The 384.19 firmware runs on the ax88u Will it not work on the ax86u as well? They look mostly the same, with the biggest differences being 8 LAN vs 4+1 2.5Gb and more MU-MIMO support.

oldelpaso

New Around Here
After 2,5years using RT-AC86U with merlin fw I encountered infamous 2.4ghz issue... So I started to thinking about new router and found this RT-AX86U which seems logical successor (design wise & hardware wise). I would really benefit using its 2.5gbit port for transferring big files from router (using as NAS) to PC via wired connection. Unfortunately this router is useless for me without merlin support. I can only hope it will be addedd one day.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!