What's new

Merlin firmware for the new RT-AX86U?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

PSA - I just scored an RT-AX86U for $49.99 on Amazon! They went quickly, but I’d continue to keep an eye on there for future sales. My AC86U has served me well, but I couldn’t pass up a deal like that. Now to sit back and patiently wait for rmerlin support. :p
I think your typo by missing number 2 before 49.99 , there is no way AX86U selling $49.99 :) , ,,look at AC68U ,, it is still selling at $100+ , a 5 yo router!

PSA - I just scored an RT-AX86U for $49.99 on Amazon! They went quickly, but I’d continue to keep an eye on there for future sales. My AC86U has served me well, but I couldn’t pass up a deal like that. Now to sit back and patiently wait for rmerlin support. :p

Somebody is going to be in trouble. It seems the price was actually for the PCE-AX3000 which is $49.99
Best Buy's algorithm simply matched the price.
Now to see if they will ship or send error email to everybody.

Somebody is going to be in trouble. It seems the price was actually for the PCE-AX3000 which is $49.99
Best Buy's algorithm simply matched the price.
Now to see if they will ship or send error email to everybody.
Mistake or no mistake - mine has already arrived at the carrier facility. Granted, I won't consider it a done deal until it's in my hands, but at the moment things are pointing in the right direction.

How do I find those deals?? :confused:
I use a few methods, Slickdeals being one of them. That said, I actually scored this one using Keepa, which is a plugin that price-tracks and allows for custom alerts. It's neat, because it embeds itself directly into Amazon's site, and you can see a plethora of info on the product page. Highly recommend. :)

Seems that Merlin will support the ax86u.
Seems that an alpha build is available:

is this legit?? Upon installation on my ax86u, it says Merlin firmware....

How's the range of the AX86U?
Range talks are illegal on this forum.
Cause they always lead to region change :)

And to be serious, depends what router you want to campare it with.

I have moved from N66U and comparing to it, AX86U has twice lower 2.4Ghz range and about the same 5Ghz range. EU region.

But I am sure this is fair for all AX Asus routers.

Last edited:
My ax86u is coming in today, hopefully asus releases the 386 to public very soon, so Merlin can continue his great work in cooking the merlin version :)

deployed an AX86U this weekend with stock firmware - haven't done that in many years... no issues... waiting for at least a beta of Merlin firmware for this device...

Mistake or no mistake - mine has already arrived at the carrier facility. Granted, I won't consider it a done deal until it's in my hands, but at the moment things are pointing in the right direction.
Sold out. This price gone fast.

deployed an AX86U this weekend with stock firmware - haven't done that in many years... no issues... waiting for at least a beta of Merlin firmware for this device...
Public beta here

Installed merlin alpha3 without issues. Configured everything and it was up&running.
Had some troubles connecting some google assistant enabled devices but after resetting the wifi connection in the devices they were alive.

When trying to setup DDNS, I noticed a warning about double NAT. I thought this had to do with me, plugin in the wan-cable in the 2.5gb WAN port (yes, 2.5gb WAN port was set to the wan port). So i switched to the standard WAN port. Reboot device and since then no WIFI connected devices could connect to internet. Wired devices had no issues.

Any ideas to resolve this?
Second question, how to solve the double nat issue. It doesn't exists on my old asus ac3200.

Last edited:
Seems that Merlin will support the ax86u.
Seems that an alpha build is available:

is this legit?? Upon installation on my ax86u, it says Merlin firmware....

Finally some good fracking news! Sunday my spanking brand new RX6800XT died after an hour of playing with it.. Big OOFFFH Big Sad SAD! This news brightens the mood!

I installed it too. Seems to run fine. Let's wait for updates.

Installed merlin alpha3 without issues. Configured everything and it was up&running.
Had some troubles connecting some google assistant enabled devices but after resetting the wifi connection in the devices they were alive.

When trying to setup DDNS, I noticed a warning about double NAT. I thought this had to do with me, plugin in the wan-cable in the 2.5gb WAN port (yes, 2.5gb WAN port was set to the wan port). So i switched to the standard WAN port. Reboot device and since then no WIFI connected devices could connect to internet. Wired devices had no issues.

Any ideas to resolve this?
Second question, how to solve the double nat issue. It doesn't exists on my old asus ac3200.

Ok, managed to fix my wan issue. Now only want to setup DDNS , don't know how with double nat

Installed merlin alpha3 without issues.

I don't/would never run alphas... can't be bothered - but that's me... I deployed the x86 as soon as I received it for a few hours to be sure it wasn't dead outta' the box - then pulled it down - now waiting for a beta...

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!