What's new

Merlin firmware missing AiMesh node option

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

miniterror

Regular Contributor
Had noticed this misisng on my old ax58u unit, i replaced it today with a AX68U unit and again missed it so thought of making a thread as the main thread for merlin firmware is closed.
On original firmware i have the option in the setup wizard that states to make it a AiMesh node, see screenshot.
Updating to Merlin firmware i do not see this option in the list.
The function itself is there, when going to router.asus.com/QIS_wizard.htm?flag=amasnode_page i get the steps to make it a node.
Is there any specific reason the option itself isnt in the menu?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210903-085355.jpg
    Screenshot_20210903-085355.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 171
Is there any specific reason the option itself isnt in the menu?

Maybe because it's not required?... an AiMesh node is created/configured automatically by resetting it to its factory defaults and adding it to the network from within the main router webUI.

OE

Maybe because it's not required?... an AiMesh node is created/configured automatically by resetting it to its factory defaults and adding it to the network from within the main router webUI.

OE
Dont you actually have to choose that option to set it in registration mode?
I always start that page and see a message i can then add it to the AiMesh by looking for the node on the main router.

change to English - maybe strange name is you language

it should be like
Wireless router mode / AiMesh Router mode (Default)
Access Point(AP) mode / AiMesh Router in AP mode
Repeater mode
Media Bridge
AiMesh Node
just click on last option AiMesh that could be AiMesh node.

Dont you actually have to choose that option to set it in registration mode?
I always start that page and see a message i can then add it to the AiMesh by looking for the node on the main router.

I'm not sure I fully understand you... but I'll restate, you do not configure remote nodes directly, you only reset them to their factory defaults and then add them to the AiMesh from within the root node webUI. The root node/main router then automatically configures the newly added remote node.

OE

I see it is during wizard - I would like to have option to completely remove it even via CFE :) I just skip it and what is important to have AiMesh node option in Administration - operating mode.

hm to have it in Wizard could be good to why you should configure any parameter li wi-fi password as in node you system will just reboot router and set as node.

I'm not sure I fully understand you... but I'll restate, you do not configure remote nodes directly, you only reset them to their factory defaults and then add them to the AiMesh from within the root node webUI. The root node/main router then automatically configures the newly added remote node.

OE
If that is the case then i have been doing a lot of extra steps every time when i had problems with my node.
In my case, i have the AX86U as main router, then i have a second unit(AX68U) as node.
To my understandig i always have to start "node" mode from the config wizard (wich is missing in Merlin firmware but available in stock firmware) in the node, or finish the setup wizard and choose Node in the menu.
1630680478577.png

If i understand you correctly, if you do not do the setup wizard on the node(AX68U) and you search for nodes in the main router(AX86U) it will find it?

Fully Reset / Best Practice Setup / More

Yes, do not touch the router you want to use as an AiMesh node after you have fully reset it. Let it boot up (untouched), then go to the main router's GUI and add it from there.

change to English - maybe strange name is you language

it should be like

just click on last option AiMesh that could be AiMesh node.
In stock firmware its there.
In MErlin its also there but you cant choose it, if you go router.asus.com/QIS_wizard.htm?flag=amasnode_page during the setup wizard you also get to that page in Merlin and you dont have to do the entire setupwizard

If that is the case then i have been doing a lot of extra steps every time when i had problems with my node.
In my case, i have the AX86U as main router, then i have a second unit(AX68U) as node.
To my understandig i always have to start "node" mode from the config wizard (wich is missing in Merlin firmware but available in stock firmware) in the node, or finish the setup wizard and choose Node in the menu.
View attachment 36109

If i understand you correctly, if you do not do the setup wizard on the node and you search for nodes in the root node/main router it will find it?

Correct! AiMesh is designed to be centrally and locally managed from the root node/main router webUI. The AiMesh Node selection is not used/necessary and is misleading. Maybe Asuswrt-Merlin hides it to avoid this confusion?

OE

Fully Reset / Best Practice Setup / More

Yes, do not touch the router you want to use as an AiMesh node after you have fully reset it. Let it boot up (untouched), then go to the main router's GUI and add it from there.
Correct! AiMesh is designed to be centrally and locally managed from the root node/main router webUI. The AiMesh Node selection is not used/necessary and is misleading. Maybe Asuswrt-Merlin hides it to avoid this confusion?

OE

Lol, then i have been doing all my resets with way to many steps.
I factory reset almost always with new Merlin firmware version (even if incremental update) and i always added the node by setting it to node mode and then go to the main router GUI to search for it.
Reason is, the stock firmware shows the option and when you set it in that mode it gives a new screen, this new screen seems to indicate its actually changing stuff in the background to become a node.
Will give this a shot next time i factory reset my devices.
Thx for the info guys (assuming you are both men)

Still dont fully get it though, in stock firmware the option is actually there in the setup wizard.
Going manually to router.asus.com/QIS_wizard.htm?flag=amasnode_page it also works.
Why not still show the option in the setupwizard as everything sems te be there, besides the selectable option.

Lol, then i have been doing all my resets with way to many steps.
I factory reset almost always with new Merlin firmware version (even if incremental update) and i always added the node by setting it to node mode and then go to the main router GUI to search for it.
Reason is, the stock firmware shows the option and when you set it in that mode it gives a new screen, this new screen seems to indicate its actually changing stuff in the background to become a node.
Will give this a shot next time i factory reset my devices.
Thx for the info guys (assuming you are both men)

Still dont fully get it though, in stock firmware the option is actually there in the setup wizard.
Going manually to router.asus.com/QIS_wizard.htm?flag=amasnode_page it also works.
Why not still show the option in the setupwizard as everything sems te be there, besides the selectable option.

Also, note that removing a remote node will automatically reset it. So, upgrade the remote node firmware, remove it from the AiMesh to automatically reset it (for a clean install), and then add it back to the AiMesh.

OE

Also, note that removing a remote node doesn't always reset it (fully). When/if issues still lurk, a WPS Button reset is still the best way to a stable network. And in extreme (most?) circumstances, all routers in the network should ideally be reset at the same time and the network manually built up too. :)

[Wireless] ASUS router Hard Factory Reset | Official Support | ASUS Global

Also, note that removing a remote node doesn't always reset it (fully). When/if issues still lurk, a WPS Button reset is still the best way to a stable network. And in extreme (most?) circumstances, all routers in the network should ideally be reset at the same time and the network manually built up too. :)

[Wireless] ASUS router Hard Factory Reset | Official Support | ASUS Global
A full reset on the main router and on the node is what i usually do when there is a new Merlin stable version.
So from that aspect i should be fine, with this info it will be even faster for me as i dont have do the setup wizard on the node.

Well, gotta go full reset in my network.
Exchanged a ax58 for this ax68 as the 58 every x days lost its WiFi config.
Now with this ax68 every morning i have to reset it as no clients connect to it anymore.
Not sure if AiMesh is just that unstable or if im doing something wrong but it sure is getting a PITA.

Steps taken

During below steps power is taken off from the node (AX68U)
-WPS reset main router (AX86U)
-Run setup wizard on main router (AX86U)
-Reflash Merlin 386.3_2 on main router
-Reflash Merlin build for a second time on main router
-WPS reset the main router
-Run setup wizard and config all settings again like port forwarding, WiFi channel, DNS settings
-check the "Format JFFS partition at next boot" in the System tab and reboot main router
-Install Diversion and create 2Gb swapfile
-Disconnect Ethernet cable from node (AX68U) and perform WPS reset while connecting power adapter again.
-Reflash 386.3_2 on the node (AX68U)
-Reflash 386.3_2 on the node (AX68U)
-WPS reset
-Add node in AiMesh

Last edited:
New morning and still problem with the node (AX68U).
None of my clients can connect to the node (AX68U).
Im at a loss here why my AiMEsh wont work stable, have tried the AX58U as node, problems every x days it couldnt load WiFi config and now with the AX68U that its sending signal but clients cant connect to it.

Edit: i see other threads stating that the node should be latest official firmware instead of Merlin firmware.
Just flashed the node back to the latest stock downloaded from Asus website, keeping the main router on Merlin.

Edit2: had multiple WiFi dropoffs today and a lot of drops during team calls, something i didnt have with the previous AX58U.
Going to return the AX68U and just ordered a big boy AX86U to use as node.
Hope my AiMesh problems will be solved then.
Not sure if i should flash with Merlin firmware or keep it stock.

Last edited:
When there are issues with a node dropping/disconnecting, that indicates an incorrect Control Channel to me.

Do not use a Wi-Fi analyzer, simply try each available Control Channel possible (for an extended period) while keeping good notes. You will find one that works best/better in your Wi-Fi environment.

When there are issues with a node dropping/disconnecting, that indicates an incorrect Control Channel to me.

Do not use a Wi-Fi analyzer, simply try each available Control Channel possible (for an extended period) while keeping good notes. You will find one that works best/better in your Wi-Fi environment.
I somehow missed this.
Node itself is using wired backhaul, so that cant be a reason of disconnecting.
As for the problems, i have the second AX86U in place for a few days now running latest stock image on the node.
Main router still on Merlin firmware and so far everything has been good.
No weird behaviour anymore or traffic interruptions.
Hope it will stay this way and my AiMEsh problems are resolved now

Note that the Control Channel 'fix' has worked even when using wired backhaul for my customers.

Wi-Fi works in mysterious ways! And non-Wi-Fi interference is the hardest to grasp/wrestle with if trying to set up a network, based simply on Wi-Fi analysis via handheld devices.

The only thing that matters is what the Router and client devices 'experience' - regardless of what other higher or lower sensitivity (handheld) devices may 'report'.

Glad you got it working though. 2x RT-AX86U's running RMerlin firmware is better than anything else on the market for a similar cost (new).