What's new

Merlin on ASUS ax86U Question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

MLG0310

New Around Here
I have an ASUS AX86U and contemplating the installation of Merlin firmware. The DDNS settings on the AX86U are limited to select dns providers. If I install Merlin, will I have more flexability (choices) with the DDNS Settings?

Thanks in advance!

I have an ASUS AX86U and contemplating the installation of Merlin firmware. The DDNS settings on the AX86U are limited to select dns providers. If I install Merlin, will I have more flexability (choices) with the DDNS Settings?

Thanks in advance!
You can use any DNS provider you want to use in the Asus firmware. Just type in the IP address of the upstream resolver you want to use. No need to use the Asus list.

With Merlin you have the option to use DNS over TLS with DNSSEC. In short that is encrypted and verified DNS. A good thing in this day and age! And a whole lot more!

You can use any DNS provider you want to use in the Asus firmware. Just type in the IP address of the upstream resolver you want to use. No need to use the Asus list.

With Merlin you have the option to use DNS over TLS with DNSSEC. In short that is encrypted and verified DNS. A good thing in this day and age! And a whole lot more!

Thank You for the reply.

Is there any downside to installing the Merlin FW? Is it any riskier than a normal ASUS fw update?

I appreciate the help!

@bbunge's reply was regarding upstream DNS servers. I think your question was actually about DDNS providers. Merlin's firmware offers a couple of extra DDNS providers as well as a "custom" option where you can create your own DDNS configuration.

Untitled.png

@bbunge's reply was regarding upstream DNS servers. I think your question was actually about DDNS providers. Merlin's firmware offers a couple of extra DDNS providers as well as a "custom" option where you can create your own DDNS configuration.

View attachment 35815

Yes, this what I was looking for. Thank You, greatly appreciated!

Downside? Yes, the regret you'll have the rest of your life of why you didn't install it sooner. :)

Thank You for the reply.

Is there any downside to installing the Merlin FW? Is it any riskier than a normal ASUS fw update?

I appreciate the help!

Downside depends on what you want to do with your router. It exposes more options, therefor, it is possible that you'll find it more complex.

Depending on your level of knowledge, that maybe a downside. I personally find a number of the extra settings and capabilities very useful and wouldn't go back to stock Asus firmware. In addition, the fact that Asus works with Merlin (and your router is under warranty when using Merlin's firmware) give some piece of mind.

YMMV, as always :)

Thanks to all! I installed Merlin last night on my 2 ASUS Routers and I haven't experienced any problems, as of yet.

Currently yes, I think?

Due to some issue with GPL sources that ASUS needs to fix the Asuswrt-Merlin firmware does not have the latest CVE fixes that stock firmware does have.

I believe that RMerlin has included the CVE fixes. Even if the GPL is based on an older release.