What's new

Merlin Repeater missing settings

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

The problem is the range of the gLinet router is not very good. I just don’t understand why my Asus router which is way more expensive and powerful has less features then my tiny glinet travel router.

It doesn't have fewer features. It just doesn't have WISP mode that you need.

Switch the routers around to have the benefits of the RT-AC88U available for your network/devices.

What GL.iNet calls a "Repeater" connection is not what other manufacturers would call a Repeater. In fact GLi.Net says: "It works in WISP (Wireless Internet Service Provider) mode by default, which means that the router will create its own subnet and act as a firewall to protect you from the public network."

Like I keep saying, Asuswrt/Merlin does not support that type of internet connection.

Do you know if this is proprietary software by GLi.Net or all routers with OpenWRt Have this feature?

Do you know if this is proprietary software by GLi.Net or all routers with OpenWRt Have this feature?
It's not proprietary, it's just a normal OpenWrt feature. I don't know whether there are any hardware restrictions though, i.e. some routers may not be capable of operating like that.

Is there a way to repeat the signal in router mode if I cannot connect with a LAN cable to the main router?

You would have to setup a router as a media bridge then connect the router that you want to run the VPN on to this router using an Ethernet cable. Kind of a kludged setup but it might work OK and it certainly would provide the security you want.

You would have to setup a router as a media bridge then connect the router that you want to run the VPN on to this router using an Ethernet cable. Kind of a kludged setup but it might work OK and it certainly would provide the security you want.

I’ll look into it but right now it’s working pretty good and everything is wireless but I will play around with the media bridge mode when I have some free time. Right now it’s working pretty good. The public network gets 50mbs and I’m getting the same speed from my Asus Ax88u router in repeater mode. Then I have a gli.net slate router connected wirelessly in repeater mode With VPN installed so any clients that connect to the second router are covered by my VPN. I get around 12mbs on the devices connected to the second router but that’s pretty standard behind the VPN. At least for me it is. When guest come over I can give them the wifi password to my first router so they can have better internet without allowing them to snoop around my private network. They probably won’t but just in case. Even though I love Asus routers and especially Merlins firmware updates if I did it all again I would probably pick up a quad core nighthawk router and run OpenWRT on it instead. It just has so many more features then the Asus does. My GLi.Net Slate router is a beast and it’s just a travel router. I only have a couple clients on it so maybe for a larger network it would start to give me problems but for now it’s awesome.

You had better test your security just to be sure. It is an unusual setup. If you are having your guests connect by WiFi be sure if they are connecting to the AX88u you have them connect to a guest network that is restricted to block access to the intranet.

Also If you were running the VPN client on your AX88 it would easily handle the VPN at your line speed and in fact can handle VPN connections at 200+ Mbps.

You had better test your security just to be sure. It is an unusual setup. If you are having your guests connect by WiFi be sure if they are connecting to the AX88u you have them connect to a guest network that is restricted to block access to the intranet.

Also If you were running the VPN client on your AX88 it would easily handle the VPN at your line speed and in fact can handle VPN connections at 200+ Mbps.

I wish I could but when I put the 88u it in repeater mode I lose all the options to add a guest account, install a VPN and most of the other options. I’m not sure if I switch to router mode ajust the settings and then switch back to repeater mode if it will save all my settings. I also need to learn more about media bridge mode but I think when it’s in this mode I still lose most of the settings.

With your 50 Mbps speed you could take an ancient Linksys 54G flashed with DD-WRT then set it up as Media Bridge, plug your AX88 into the Linksys 54G and get most of your line speed even using a VPN.