What's new

Merlin wrt Asus AX88U two pinholes unbound ipv6

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Your revised config no longer pushes the Pis via option6:23.
Yes because we dont need to advertise the pihole specifically to each client since the client is able to be identified by the mapping provided by add-mac and add-subnet options. Simply, now dnsmasq can map the client information to pihole with out the clients having to have the pihole address independently given to the client. Simply advertising only the router is enough.

I may be at crossed purposes here, but entering the IPv6 DNS servers via the IPv6 settings page, pushes the IPv6 via the routers DHCP. As the Pi-Hole IPv6 address I was using was local, there was no need to restrict the IP range!

I may be at crossed purposes here, but entering the IPv6 DNS servers via the IPv6 settings page, pushes the IPv6 via the routers DHCP. As the Pi-Hole IPv6 address I was using was local, there was no need to restrict the IP range!
You sound like you have your wires a bit crossed. Adding the dns on the ipv6 dns page does not change what lan address is advertised to the client, the routers ipv6 lan address still gets advertised. The Only way to change this behavior is by using dnsmasq.postconf modifications.

Before piholes inclusion of the add-mac and add-subnet readability, I use to advertise pihole to clients via the routers dhcp dns advertisement. But this can be completely skipped since pihole can identify the clients by the mapping feature. Simply all the router dnsmasq has to do now is simply forward the request with those options enabled. Pihole identifies the client by the information sent along with the request. Conditional forwarding is only needed to provide a name to the client. Pihole sees both the mac and the ip address of the requestor which is forwarded by the routers dnsmasq via the mapping options

Last edited:
I used to use 2 pi-holes and their addresses were sent to clients by the router by DHCP, it only takes 30 seconds to test that this still works. I was through sending clients directly to the Pi-Holes and excluding the router DNS from the chain.

I used to use 2 pi-holes and their addresses were sent to clients by the router by DHCP, it only takes 30 seconds to test that this still works. I was through sending clients directly to the Pi-Holes and excluding the router DNS from the chain.
Yea this method should still work as well, but is procedurally different in some aspects. i.e. it skips the routers traffic all together, and the clients that are forced by dnsfilter to pihole appear to be coming from the router and are not identifiable.

Just an update for those running 386.7, while it looks like some ipv6 fixes and functionality were added - it breaks the custom jffs script in this thread and adding a single ipv6 DNS server to the lan settings does not seem to work. I am going to be reformatting my pi's for other reasons and starting from scratch again and will update this after the fact. If anyone has any ideas or recs feel free to chime in.

Here is mine with my two piholes
View attachment 41576
DNSFilter points at the router himself
View attachment 41577
^^^Piholes are manually assigned addresses below in manual assignment && LAN DNS 1 and 2 are blank:oops::oops::oops::oops::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:^^^

View attachment 41578
^^^wan DNS 1 and wan DNS2 point to both piholes^^^

View attachment 41579
^^for ipv6^^^
define all local networks using dnsmasq.conf.add ( or dnsmasq.postconf)

Code:
local=/168.192.in-addr.arpa/
local=/your reverse arpa for ipv6.ip6.arpa/
local=/10.in-addr.arpa/
add-mac
add-subnet=32,128

On each of your piholes you have to define a static ipv6 by utilizing /etc/dhcpcd.conf it will usually use the same prefix as the parent ipv6 network.
(you can also make your ipv4 addresses static here as well)

Each of your pihole will have to use your unbound addresses as their custom upstream address. your piholes should be set to point back to the routers domain and network for reverse lookups.
Hello,

I know this has been so long. I would like to ask how can I setup to use IPV6 for PiHole. Is there anyway to have it on static so I do not change my DNS server in my DHCP from time to time?

My ASUS AX86 Merlin FW running 388.2_2 is using Native IPV6. And the IPV6 addresses of my PiHole keeps changing overtime.

Thank you