What's new

Mesh network mixed with AC and AX w/ Ethernet Backhaul

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Jester

New Around Here
Hi all,

I would like to finally upgrade to ax network and here's my current setup:

Optical modem -cat6-> Asus RT-AC88u (dual band AC1000 + 2167Mbps on ground floor) -cat6-> Netgear N router (on top floor) as Access Point while running different SSID. When I set both to same SSID and I walk from ground floor to top, I often get stuck w/ very weak reception so my guess is seamless handoff wasn't done properly due to different brands router. As such, I resorted to setting different SSID and manually switched network when I move between floors.

Alternative 1:
Retire the Netgear N router, move the AC88u upstairs as Access Point while getting a new Asus RT-AX86u or 88u downstairs as main router/gateway. Will like to run AiMesh on both Asus routers with cat6 ethernet backhaul and hopefully can finally do unified SSID with proper seamless handoff. Question for this setup: would I be able to connect downstairs at AX(WiFi6) speed and upstairs at AC speed?

Alternative 2:
Ditch the whole network setup and get a brand new AX Mesh setup, be that from Asus or Netgear with ethernet backhaul. Obviously the whole network will be upgraded to AX and more costly.

Cost factor aside, I really prefer to get more use out of my ac88u router hence I have slight preference on #1. But if there's other major advantage/disadvantage between the two, I'm all ears. Thanks in advance for all your feedback.

Hi all,

Optical modem -cat6-> Asus RT-AC88u (dual band AC1000 + 2167Mbps on ground floor) -cat6-> Netgear N router (on top floor) as Access Point while running different SSID. When I set both to same SSID and I walk from ground floor to top, I often get stuck w/ very weak reception so my guess is seamless handoff wasn't done properly due to different brands router. As such, I resorted to setting different SSID and manually switched network when I move between floors.

Alternative 1:
Retire the Netgear N router, move the AC88u upstairs as Access Point while getting a new Asus RT-AX86u or 88u downstairs as main router/gateway. Will like to run AiMesh on both Asus routers with cat6 ethernet backhaul and hopefully can finally do unified SSID with proper seamless handoff. Question for this setup: would I be able to connect downstairs at AX(WiFi6) speed and upstairs at AC speed?

Alternative 2:
Ditch the whole network setup and get a brand new AX Mesh setup, be that from Asus or Netgear with ethernet backhaul. Obviously the whole network will be upgraded to AX and more costly.

Cost factor aside, I really prefer to get more use out of my ac88u router hence I have slight preference on #1. But if there's other major advantage/disadvantage between the two, I'm all ears. Thanks in advance for all your feedback.
So i currently am running an RT-AX88U as the main router and ethernet backhaul to a Lyra Mini (AC1300) in the office as the node. Works well, each device will decide at what speed or protocol to connect to. I have a couple of AX clients and when they are connected to the main router, they run at AX speeds, when they connect to the Lyra Mini node they connect at AC. I also use Smart Connect (which i know a lot of people hate) and it provides a seamless handoff, i certainly don't notice any drops or handoff issues etc. My advice would be to keep the AC88U and use it as a node to an upgraded AX primary router. The RT-AX88U has been very good for me and seems very stable and the 8 Gig LAN ports have been really useful.

Hi all,

Alternative 1:

Alternative 2:

ASUS AiMesh should allow you to do 1 and/or 2, at your leisure. Note that WiFi 6e products are arriving soon, so no hurry to buy unless you need AX now. Consider the AC86U or the AX model others recommend around here.

I would prefer the incremental upgrade approach vs the 'get a brand new AX mesh setup now approach' unless you can reason otherwise. I think the incremental approach has its appeal for managing the home network over the long haul.

OE

I moved my AC88 to an AiMesh node when the WAN port started to get flaky after 4 years as a solo device.

I moved my AC88 to an AiMesh node when the WAN port started to get flaky after 4 years as a solo device.
I thought even as a node, you'll still be using the wan port for AiMesh setup? I'm currently connecting from the LAN port on my ax88u to the wan port on my ac88u as per the instructions from Asus....

I thought even as a node, you'll still be using the wan port for AiMesh setup? I'm currently connecting from the LAN port on my ax88u to the wan port on my ac88u as per the instructions from Asus....
I am having to use wireless backhaul. I have a 90 year old historic property, so I don’t have a viable way to get a Cat6 between floors.

I am having to use wireless backhaul. I have a 90 year old historic property, so I don’t have a viable way to get a Cat6 between floors.
Yeah, of course... I wonder if there's a Mesh + HomePlug combo setup that would work well

You guys ever thought of using these ethernet over power devices that sent the network through your power circuit to transmit you network

You guys ever thought of using these ethernet over power devices that sent the network through your power circuit to transmit you network
I wud probably take it one step further, as I suggested above: mesh + home plug or better yet, a set of devices with those features built in. Home plug with built-in WiFi5 has been around and from my past experience, they work alright. Handoff still wasn’t seamless.

With mesh, backhaul + wifi6 I can see a combo that works well literally everywhere!

The home plug devices are too slow (around 10 to 20% of stated throughput) except for either a slow internet connection (< ~50mbps) or if both end points are on the same electrical circuit. But, more often than not, you need them in locations that aren't on the same circuit.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!