What's new

Mesh Settings For AX58U Setup

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Be positive - excellent roaming! :)

Any of the suggestions working so far?

Could you run a hardwire via underground if (pull a new one through an existing pipe) or over head via pole. How does the shop get powered?

They make this, as an idea:
\https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BZ3XXW6K/?tag=snbforums-20
Nope its still doing it.
He said its electric and gas buried together so cant mess with that.
I might just try to find a AC68U like my setup I went an grabbed mine at lunch to test works fine.
Sucks I have a 3 of the AX58U no 68U.
Screenshot from 2023-11-22 12-38-36.png

Nope its still doing it.
He said its electric and gas buried together so cant mess with that.
I might just try to find a AC68U like my setup I went an grabbed mine at lunch to test works fine.
Sucks I have a 3 of the AX58U no 68U.
View attachment 54418

Try channel 36 or 161 or 165.

Last edited:
@Tech9 , The 1st gen AC class routers had better range, yes? VS the new ones sold today. More power that was then cut back by regulation?

Try channel 36 or 161 or 165.

@Tech9 , The AC class routers had better range, yes?
Okay I will try
Those old AC68U must be awesome.
So those ones on that Amazon sells for $76 are not high output like mine?
It says Mode # RT-AC68U V4

So those ones on that Amazon sells for $76 are not high output like mine?
Not sure if I remember correctly, but if yours works at that range, ok.

Where I was headed was if you could buy a new AC class one for cheap on Amazon, would it do the job?

The Amazon "Return Window" is extended for the holidays so you could try one (AC class) for cost effectiveness, without having to spend more on a tri-band router. ( you did say light use )

Not sure if I remember correctly, but if yours works at that range, ok.

Where I was headed was if you could buy a new AC class one for cheap on Amazon, would it do the job?

The Amazon "Return Window" is extended for the holidays so you could try one (AC class) for cost effectiveness, without having to spend more on a tri-band router. ( you did say light use )
Yes I am with you for sure.
My thoughts are grab one of those and try it.
If it don't work for some reason:
I could grab a AX88U Pro and change my main out and give him my 68U.
Or if my signal still weak pair the 88U Pro / 86U or 68U.
I would rather have new stuff as I use it a lot.
If I do upgrade then sell my 4 AX58U Units

Yes I am with you for sure.
My thoughts are grab one of those and try it.
If it don't work for some reason:
I could grab a AX88U Pro and change my main out and give him my 68U.
Or if my signal still weak pair the 88U Pro / 86U or 68U.
I would rather have new stuff as I use it a lot.
If I do upgrade then sell my 4 AX58U Units

Mesh works by using one band as the wireless back-haul. 2.4GHZ for range.
You are still butting up against the range issue per your post #17.

Another thing you could try on the 5GHz band is to run it on 20 or 40 or 80MHz only vs the 20/40/80 mixed.

1. About 180 feet

Can you wire that? It would be a solid upgrade and may avoid some other EMI in your shop.

To know how your wireless backhaul is doing, find its connection details in the Wireless Log. NSS is number of spatial streams... a wireless backhaul will typically have 3 or 4 (given 3 or 4 antennas on the band) while clients will have 1 or 2... otherwise, ID the backhaul by the node MAC address.

Your AX58U wireless backhaul is only 2 streams per band and the band is shared with clients (not a dedicated, wireless backhaul with 3 or 4 streams). And it's weak or unreliable at 180'.

I would wire the backhaul and disable the wireless backhauls... in my shop! :)

OE

Last edited:

Another thing you could try on the 5GHz band is to run it on 20 or 40 or 80MHz only vs the 20/40/80 mixed.
Can you wire that? It would be a solid upgrade and may avoid some other EMI in your shop.

To know how your wireless backhaul is doing, find its connection details in the Wireless Log. NSS is number of spatial streams... a wireless backhaul will typically have 3 or 4 (given 3 or 4 antennas on the band) while clients will have 1 or 2... otherwise, ID the backhaul by the node MAC address.

Your AX58U wireless backhaul is only 2 streams per band and the band is shared with clients (not a dedicated, wireless backhaul with 3 or 4 streams). And it's weak or unreliable at 180'.

OE
I tried making it set on 40 and 80 didnt help.
May have to look into a line bury but there are lots of things there electric / gas / telephone / fiber.
I have needed to look into my own setup anyway.
Does the AX88U Pro have more streams and I assume much better range?

Or, try 160 MHz on channel 36. I have one site that has RT-AX88U as router, one wired RT-AX58U AiMesh node with a wireless RT-AX58U bound to it. The two 58Us are about 100 feet apart , each in a different metal building.

I tried making it set on 40 and 80 didnt help.

Leave the bandwidth on 20/40/80/and 160, if you are using DFS; the router will connect various clients/nodes at their max bandwidth.

Does the AX88U Pro have more streams and I assume much better range?

Read the Tech Specs on the router product page... it lists the radios/bands and antenna support.

1700683439283.png

The AX88U has 4 external antennas serving each of 2 bands, so 4 streams on one end of a shared backhaul. Ideally, you would want 4 antennas/streams on the other end... and a dedicated 5-2 radio not shared with clients... and that is configured for 160MHz bandwidth, given you can use DFS channels... but then it helps to know what your region is and what the Tx power is for those DFS channels to be sure it will reach. (wire it)

OE

Last edited:
May have to look into a line bury but there are lots of things there electric / gas / telephone / fiber.

If it was not direct burial and telephone and fiber are in conduit already then you should be ok to pull a 3rd line. No one one I know would use less than a 1 inch conduit for such an application.

If you have to dig I would upgrade and put all 3 lines in conduit, and go for 1.5 inch.

@Tech9 , The 1st gen AC class routers had better range, yes?

Asus got caught cheating. All fixed now to comply with the regulations, both old and new. Unless I do something to it... 🤫

This router is very different than V2/V3 models - HND hardware with ARMv8 CPU. Unfortunately, the same old AC Wave 1 radios.

The AX88U has 4 external antennas serving each of 2 bands, so 4 streams on one end of a shared backhaul. Ideally, you would want 4 antennas/streams on the other end... and a dedicated 5-2 radio not shared with clients... and that is configured for 160MHz bandwidth, given you can use DFS channels... but then it helps to know what your region is and what the Tx power is for those DFS channels to be sure it will reach. (wire it)

OE
I see thanks I can mess more with later I had to leave for today.
If it was not direct burial and telephone and fiber are in conduit already then you should be ok to pull a 3rd line. No one one I know would use less than a 1 inch conduit for such an application.

If you have to dig I would upgrade and put all 3 lines in conduit, and go for 1.5 inch.
Yes we might have to do that I am not sure about any of that yet.
This is sort of quick setup until I have time to go out and trench myself. 🚜
Asus got caught cheating. All fixed now to comply with the regulations, both old and new. Unless I do something to it... 🤫
This router is very different than V2/V3 models - HND hardware with ARMv8 CPU. Unfortunately, the same old AC Wave 1 radios.
Oh nice I would love to do something to get more range :D
Oh yea well hes setup for now so I need to get my shop back up.
I am looking at the GT-AX11000 Pro - AX88U Pro Can those be pumped up ?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!