What's new

Mesh

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Robertus

Occasional Visitor
So I’m racking my brain over which setup to buy. I’ve been waiting for the Asus Zenwifi to come out and that seems to be taking an age.

for whatever reason I can’t use a wired backhaul so would prefer a dedicated wireless AX backhaul.

my current setup:

Downstairs:
Virgin Media superhub3 in modem mode (350mb broadband)

- Asus AC86u
- Panasonic smart TV
- Xbox One
- Apple TV 4K
- Virgin V6 cable tv box

Upstsirs (currently connected via home plug)

- Main PC (used for all kinds of consumption/gaming etc)
- Synology DS918+ which is used to download and runs as a Plex server
- Philips hue bridge

Generic WiFi devices
- Two google homes downstairs
- Two google homes upstairs
- Nest third gen thermostat

So in my usecase I was fast speeds via the backhaul and low latency (as good as can be on WiFi).

my current considerations were:
- new Asus zenwifi AX or also know as AX6600. This seems to be taking an age to come out.
- Orbi 6 though the price is incredible
- RT92u - though doesn’t seem great.
- Amplifi alien though this has no dedicated backhaul which puts me off a bit

I’ve been scowering the web for a while...and can’t quite find the right fit. FWIW I’m having issues with the speed on the home plugs and want rid of them quickly.

A pre-draft 1 standards jump on beta-class products stands a fair chance on not providing you with a satisfactory outcome. Instead, I'd look to solve your bandwidth and density needs via more radio locations at lower power, using proven and stable AC Wave 2 gear.

I'd look at Orbi, with however many satellites you need. It will deliver plenty of bandwidth and spectral efficiency for your needs.

EDIT: Orbi, not Orbi Pro.

Last edited:
Essentially I want a solid, fast backhaul with no wires!

was very tempted to get an alien and pair a second one later on - but the orbi pro is interesting. Wonder what backhaul speeds it’d give.

To be honest I’m very tempted by the alien... but heard ropey things about amplify vs ubiquiti and wave 1 ax...which is always the case with new kit I accept

@Trip Why the Pro vs. the RBK50 ?
Thanks for the catch, Tim. Not sure why I put the Pro in there... must have been thinking of a different small-business thread (even then it's not so differently featured as to recommend it exclusively over regular Orbi). Regular RBK50 or 53 kit should be fine.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!