What's new

Microstutter/Jitter/Disconnects gaming

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Savell Martin

Regular Contributor
Hey guys,

So I've been playing a lot of CS:GO lately and find that something is random with my network.
If I have VoIP, eg Discord, TeamSpeak, or even Skype I get some microstutter ingame.

I never really go over 60ms ping, but I seem to have massive lag.
The only way I can say it is if I die, it sometimes takes an extra few seconds for my PC to register I'm dead.
Or in the top right of the game when it says x person killed y person they dont appear sometimes for around 30seconds then I get them all at once.

I ask my friends and I'm not lagging or teleporting around the game, as I have most of the time around a 20 to 40ms ping. But there is something not right with the whole game.
This does affect me as shots landed sometimes dont register and I think I've missed but they actually have landed server side.

I am using a RT-AC88U, with Merlin's 380.59, I am NOT using QoS or WTFast.
I have 80mb down and 20mb up Fibre and I generally have that full bandwidth available while gaming.
I am connected via PowerLine, but have reproduced this over WiFi, and Ethernet direct.
The 88U connects to a DrayTek Vigor 130 as the VDSL passthrough modem.

I've re-installed a clean windows 10 build, and redownloaded my games fresh (ie nothing was copied over from old config). Still the issues remain.
I have factory reset the router and reset it up. I DO have running the AdBlock by TLC.

Any suggestions I can try?

use pingplotter

i occasionally have issues with battlefield hardine on the ps4.
when its bad i am showing icmp packet loss on the isp network.....this is noramlly an indicator i will have issues with p2p games....but you never know it may be affecting all packets at the rate of loss.

Occasionally the transatlantic nodes shows a higher ping on one of theirs.

then i know im gonna have issues witht he batlefield server.

Thanks for the replies.
4079441.png

Is that ok?

As an FYI from CoxHSI - major cable provider here in the US...

My network is probably a bit more optimized than yours ;)

(but this is what I do - and you want me to in my day job)

Google_last_108000.png

And this is to my Cable modem - so a lot of the latency above is beyond my control as a subscriber...

Surfboard_last_108000.png

I have 300MBs download and 300MBs upload.
I use qos .

I cap the ps4 to 45/45 and use fq codel.

Gaming is good even on fifa now lol.

I do get issues when my isp shows icmp packet loss on pingplotter.....even one fo the transatlantic nodes has been playign up this week and it makes battlefield harder.
With capping and fq codel i get mostly A or A+ on bufferbloat.

And this is to my Cable modem - so a lot of the latency above is beyond my control as a subscriber...

View attachment 6494
Sorry to slightly hijack the thread, but I want those ping times!
I just did a short test.
Avg ping to RT-N66U through 5Ghz wireless N ~2 ms
Avg ping to the cable modem ~4 ms
Avg ping to 8.8.8.8 ~21 ms

I would be very happy to cut 3 ms out of the route, but how? CTF on, QoS off, DNS filter on via OpenDNS, some iptables rules but pretty much every other service off. I have around 15 clients at any given time. Why is it taking 2 ms to get through the router?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!