What's new

Warzone 2.0 Unstable latency HELP

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

All these are good troubleshooting techniques and hopefully something fixes it for you. I do have a question for you though.

Did your issue just start recently? I'm a fellow Warzone player. I typically have 20-30ms ping during games. Occasionally it'll be in the 40s. All this week my ping has been higher than usual and it's been occasionally spiking. The game has been stuttering too. Everything else in my house has been running fine and both my sons game and haven't complained about any lag on their games (and trust me, I hear about it immediately when it does lag, whether I'm sleep, in the bathroom, at work, or whatever lol).

The new update has caused a lot of issues and the servers have been worse too. The COD Warzone reddit is full of people complaining and less people have been playing which does lead to it to taking longer for lobbies to fill. It could just be the game since everything else seems to be working well for you. Hopefully they get the game and servers fixed soon.
Hi...That's really good information. Very similar to my circumstances and definitely worse the past week, however the issue has been there for a while. @Ripshod 👍above has tried their best to help on another forum and the "Gateway" issue referred to is absolutely the source issue - I am just hoping I can optimize my router better to possibly reduce and stabilise the latency a little better. I've done a reset so we'll see how that goes over the next few sessions.

The first time, it may seem like that.

But really, it's easy.

Just flash RMerlin firmware, perform a full reset, then minimally and manually configure the router to secure it and connect to your ISP.
Hi...Nothing has really changed since my reset so considering Merlin now. I found this video on youtoob for merlin install but the guy says i dont need to do a full reset - not sure if im mixed up - Can you see if its the right way to do it?
And to confirm I'm on PS4 not PC ;). If i do install the Merlin and it doesn't work can i changed it back to the normal fw?

You'll be going from official asus firmware to Merlin, so I'd recommend the factory reset using the WPS button after updating.

You'll be going from official asus firmware to Merlin, so I'd recommend the factory reset using the WPS button after updating.
So the factory reset doesn't remove theMerlin then and OK to use for PS4? If i do install the Merlin and it doesn't work can i changed it back to the normal fw? Can I also save my set up - all my gadgets have names etc and install that on Merlin when done?

Last edited:
If you "restore" settings (from any firmware) you'll undo the reset, so don't bother doing both.

Merlin is drop in / drop out replacement for stock and you can revert at will. Save your stock configuration beforehand and restore it to the stock firmware /if/ you revert to it.

So the factory reset doesn't remove theMerlin then and OK to use for PS4? If i do install the Merlin and it doesn't work can i changed it back to the normal fw? Can I also save my set up - all my gadgets have names etc and install that on Merlin when done?
Thanks and if/when i install Merlin can I reinstall my set up e.g. gadget thubnail pics and names etc from my saved config or will i have to do that all again manually? Also - is the video above OK to follow as it seems straightforward to me?

No, don't use a saved backup config file for different firmware branches. Regardless of what a video on YouTube may state. Will it apply to the old settings? Possibly. Will it put the router in an unstable state? More than likely.

After you flash RMerlin firmware perform a full reset to factory defaults, and then minimally and manually configure the router to secure it and connect to your ISP, use the link below to have a method to get back to where you are now quickly (~5 minutes).

Use the appropriate method for your router to perform a full reset from the link below.

But saving a backup config file on one firmware version (and particularly a different firmware branch) and then using it on a different firmware version (even after you do a full reset first) is a good way to negate the full reset you just did.

Going from stock Asus to RMerlin firmware (or vice versa) requires a full reset. You're free to do as you wish, but the router will no longer be in a good/known state if you do decide to use a backup config file rather than a minimal and manual configuration.

The following links may also be helpful to get the most out of an Asus/RMerlin-powered router.

Uhm... what do you mean you're on PS4 and not PC?

Don't use a mobile device to set up your network. Don't use an 'app' to set up your network. Don't use a PS4 to set up your network.

Use a secure PC with a browser you trust.

Only.

Uhm... what do you mean you're on PS4 and not PC?

Don't use a mobile device to set up your network. Don't use an 'app' to set up your network. Don't use a PS4 to set up your network.

Use a secure PC with a browser you trust.

Only.
Hi...many thanks for your post above - I've read the links but I'll run through it again to be safe 👍 Re PS4 I was just meaning I'm gaming on console not PC...Anything I set up internet wise is via my PC connected to Chrome via ethernet. One thing though that's been said a few times - "a minimal and manual configuration"...Please define ;)

See M&M Config in the link above.

See M&M Config in the link above.
Hi... OK read it all and tbh I'm more nervous lol
The one thing I did pick up on was the SSID needs a new name - Is this still the case?

Also you said " At this point I will test different channels for each band (and /or radio) to find the best for that specific environment.

After finding the best channel and if things are stable at this point for an extended period (at least a week), other available router options may be introduced one at a time and added to as (and if) they prove stable."

What do you mean test different channels and (sorry 🥴) but can you explain again what you meant about waiting for at least a week?

Hi... OK read it all and tbh I'm more nervous lol
The one thing I did pick up on was the SSID needs a new name - Is this still the case?

Also you said " At this point I will test different channels for each band (and /or radio) to find the best for that specific environment.

After finding the best channel and if things are stable at this point for an extended period (at least a week), other available router options may be introduced one at a time and added to as (and if) they prove stable."

What do you mean test different channels and (sorry 🥴) but can you explain again what you meant about waiting for at least a week?
Don't over complicate/overthink this.

Once you install latest stable RMerlin firmware, reset the router (check the "initialize all settings..." option) and setup from scratch. Do not load any previously saved config files.

You can setup the SSID names however you want. Test your router and all devices connected.

If all is running smoothly you're done! If for any reason you're having devices disconnecting or cannot connect or any issues, try making some of these changes under Wireless, Professional Tab (dont change all of them):

Post in thread 'RT-AC86U Settings' https://www.snbforums.com/threads/rt-ac86u-settings.50348/post-449341

For me, I leave most settings at default with the exception...the only ones I disable are Airtime Fairness, Universal Beamforming (for both 2.4 & 5Ghz) and MU-MIMO & OFDMA (5Ghz bands). I never messed with Turbo QAM or Pre‐amble type option. I leave control channels at "Auto" for all bands and never had issues under the Wireless tab!

If you ever want to go back to stock firmware, upload it and reset router and setup from scratch again!

Best of luck!

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!