What's new

Migrate AiMesh from RT-AC68U -> RT-AX92U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

veggysaurus

New Around Here
Hi All,

I have had an RT-AC68U in for some years in AiMesh and it works a treat.
Recently ( 6 months)wanted to extended the range and everything is now AX instead of AC.
Seems the range extenders are no longer available.

So looking at getting the 2pk of RT-AX92U.

Currently I have fans, weather station all manually connected once to the wifi. PC, phones etc are all easy to change.
Can I just export and import the settings from the ac68u to one of the ax92u's?
that way I don't have to go and configure everything again.

Or do I just have to setup the wifi with the same name?
I'm assuming there is something other than a common name that identifies the network?
Or just start from scratch with same name and turn the ac68u off and later use as an AP in the garage?

Dave.

@veggysaurus, welcome!

All of what you're suggesting may work.

But it is not an install I would do for myself or my customers.

I would particularly not be importing from an AC router, a backup config file to an AX router.

If you do decide to go ahead and try, be prepared to do a full reset when (not if) you begin noticing the network is not performing as well as you expected.

When going from an old AC router to a new AX router, the steps below are what I would suggest being followed instead.

New M&M 2020

How to Connect an AiMesh Node

Of course, I would be remiss if I didn't tell you that I would also recommend an RMerlin Supported router instead of the model you've picked above.

Home | Asuswrt-Merlin (asuswrt-merlin.net)

yeh right, so might just be easier to grab another rt-ac68u and use it as an AiMesh node as lets be honest we are lucky to get 43Mbps from out ISP where I live just north of Sydney. Seems like a much cheaper option by the looks and didn't realise I could use a second one as another node. at least then have the option to play with Merlin.

When it comes to network stuff I tend to suck, Give me certificates and AD and its another story.. haha

Hi All,

I have had an RT-AC68U in for some years in AiMesh and it works a treat.
Recently ( 6 months)wanted to extended the range and everything is now AX instead of AC.
Seems the range extenders are no longer available.

So looking at getting the 2pk of RT-AX92U.

Currently I have fans, weather station all manually connected once to the wifi. PC, phones etc are all easy to change.
Can I just export and import the settings from the ac68u to one of the ax92u's?
that way I don't have to go and configure everything again.

Or do I just have to setup the wifi with the same name?
I'm assuming there is something other than a common name that identifies the network?
Or just start from scratch with same name and turn the ac68u off and later use as an AP in the garage?

Dave.
I migrated to dual pack of AX92u from AC68u. I get better range from using 2 AX92u than I did from using 3 68us. As for configuring, I wouldn't use an auto import. I'd recommend manually configuring your new routers. AX92u are triband and 68u are dual band. So, you will have more options with the AX92u. You can keep the same SSID name and passwords on AX92u. That way, your clients will all automatically connect to AX92u. I would recommend you power cycle your clients after you get your new router configured. If you use Asus DDNS server and you want to keep your host name, you will need to contact ASUS and transfer it from your 68u to 92u.

You will have many options on how to set up AX92u. I choose to set it up as a router and access point. I also, use Open VPN, traffic analyze, parental controls, QOS and game accelerator. Under the router/access point setup, I use all 3 bands and have set up 3 guest networks. If you use AI mesh with wired backhaul, you can also use all three bands. If you use AI Mesh with wireless backhaul, the 5ghz AX channel will be used for the backhaul. So you will only have the two bands.

Ax92u has been pretty rock solid as router/access point. I did try AI mesh when 386.40451 came out. That firmware allowed guest networks to use AI Mesh node. However, I didn't find it as stable in AI Mesh than as router/access point - I had a few crashes in AI Mesh. So I switched back to router/access point. Other than the fiasco of flashing to 386.41535 (see thread in https://www.snbforums.com/threads/a...35-g1caa24a-firmware.68884/page-4#post-651616 ), the 92u has been very stable and responsive with all the features I use.

Using the AX channel, I did notice significant wireless speed improvements between the 68u and 92u. On 1 gbps service, the 68u would top out around 600 mbps. The 92u, on the AX channel, will top out around 900 mbps. These numbers are at the router or access point. (I can't hit 900mbps on the AC channel). Also with my 68u, when I turned on QOS and parental control (scheduling), it would impact speeds. I don't have any of those issues on the 92x.

If you need additional range, you can use the 68us as AI mesh nodes or access points, as well. However, before using the 68us, as nodes in AI Mesh, since you have the 2 pack of 92us, I'd try them out. As I mentioned earlier, I get the same range with 2 92x as I did with 3 68us.

Good luck configuring your Ax92us.

@Piggie
Thanks mate, exactly what I was after.
I do use Asus DDNS so will look into that.

Here's the FAQ on changing the host name for ASUS DDNS

If you have registered an ASUS DDNS (Dynamic Domain Name System) on your previous router and want to use the same DDNS name with a new router, please provide the following information to your local ASUS call center:

1. The serial number of your previous router. (You can find it on the back label of your router)
  2. The MAC address of your previous router. (You can find it on the back label of your router)
  3. The DDNS name
ASUS technical centers will take several working days to remove the registered DDNS name. After that, you can register the domain name to your new router.

You can find ASUS Call Center information at: https://www.asus.com/support/callus

Here's the FAQ on changing the host name for ASUS DDNS

If you have registered an ASUS DDNS (Dynamic Domain Name System) on your previous router and want to use the same DDNS name with a new router, please provide the following information to your local ASUS call center:

1. The serial number of your previous router. (You can find it on the back label of your router)
  2. The MAC address of your previous router. (You can find it on the back label of your router)
  3. The DDNS name
ASUS technical centers will take several working days to remove the registered DDNS name. After that, you can register the domain name to your new router.

You can find ASUS Call Center information at: https://www.asus.com/support/callus
Whenever I need to transfer DDNS to a different Asus router, I would either assign a new DDNS hostname on the old router or turn off DDNS altogether on the old router. I have never had to call Asus to transfer DDNS.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!