What's new

Minidlna with EXT3 USB stick and media on NTFS

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I have the same question. I stuck on line 71 as well.

I've created two partitions on my hdd: the first 1 gb partition named "mediadb" is ext 3 formatted and marked primary. The second 1.4 tb partition named "elements" is ntfs formatted and marked logic. The media is stored in the "elements" partition in the subfolders Alissa, Der Bergdoktor, Fitness, Fotos and Sonstiges.

I don't know the dir of the media files. Therefore I can't add the dirs in the minidlna conf file.

Could someone please help?

Experimental method works wonders! How to set up DLNA, I figured, you must edit the file minidlna.konf. Not so difficult. However, how to make sure that all of these system files would be stored on a ext2 partition? Ext2 generally involved? Which files are stored on Ext2? I can create Music folder on NTFS and it works well, i can see and play mp3 files rapidly on smart TV.

Last edited:
Oh no, it turns out bad ... I can only see ext2 partition on Smart TV... NTFS part-on is not available... it is not available like DLNA or as a network drive on windows pc... How to hide ext2 part-on and setup an NTFS like primary storage? This may be due to the fact that I chose an ext2 like a Primary and NTFS a Logical drive???

Oh no, it turns out bad ... I can only see ext2 partition on Smart TV... NTFS part-on is not available... it is not available like DLNA or as a network drive on windows pc... How to hide ext2 part-on and setup an NTFS like primary storage? This may be due to the fact that I chose an ext2 like a Primary and NTFS a Logical drive???
In log file from router:
Jan 25 23:27:55 hotplug[2619]: USB /dev/sda5(ntfs) failed to mount at the first try!
Jan 25 23:27:55 kernel: ufsd: use builtin utf8 instead of kernel utf8
Jan 25 23:27:57 kernel: ufsd: sda5 without journal
Jan 25 23:27:57 hotplug[2619]: USB ntfs fs at /dev/sda5 mounted on /tmp/mnt/Elements

How can we add dirs in the minidlna.conf that are located on the ntfs partition of the hdd ?

How can we exclude dirs in the mindlna.conf that are located on the ext3 partition of the same hdd?

I do not know, have to wait Hexabion...Or someone else who can explain what to do for Dummies)))

Ok, I did further investigations and found out the following:

When I go to 192.168.1.98:8200 (my router's ip) to see how minidlna is creating the database, all numbers are zero (0) (see attached screenshot). Therefore, I guess I haven't set the right path to my media folders.

As you may remember from my previous post, the hdd connected to my router has a primary ext3 formatted partition named "mediadb" and a logic ntfs partition named "elements". My video files are stored in "elements" in the subfolders "Alissa" and "Fitness". My photos are stored in "elements" in the subfolder "Fotos".

TeHashX kindly advised me as follows (s. here: https://www.asuswrt.eu/minidlna-upnp-media-server-through-debian-wheezy-mipsel-optware/):

"To keep things simple, put all media files in one directory, name it Media for example and should look like this:
/elements/Media/Videos/Alissa
/elements/Media/Videos/Fitness
/elements/Media/Videos/all_video_files_or_folders_with_video_files
/elements/Media/Fotos/all_photos_or_folders_with_photos
/elements/Media/Music/all_music_files_or_folders_with_music_files

Edit S99debian and to set external folder as
EXT_DIR=/tmp/mnt/elements/Media"

I tried, but I couldn't find S99debian. I guess this is because I'm not running Debian Wheezy Mipsel on my router.

Therefore, the question is: What is the path to my media files and which file do I have to edit so that the media server "sees" the files?

I have attached my router's log file to this post, maybe this helps.

Attachments

• minidlna.pdf
    61.2 KB · Views: 315
  • log file.txt
    7.1 KB · Views: 323
And what to do with the old DLNA? Remove? Or what?
And how to partition my hard drive to work with the new DLNA server?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!