What's new

mixed IPv6 & IPv4 on LAN?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

finite9

Regular Contributor
Hi.

I've got an ISP that assigns a dynamic IPv4 address, and im using some kind of gateway box that the fibre connects to from the road, no idea whats in it, that then connects to my router, an ASUS RT-AC68U running asuswrt-merlin fw 380.65. My LAN then sits behind my ASUS router.

It's all IPv4 on my LAN, but I want to starty playing with IPv6, just because.

Is it possible to conf. my Linux server to get an IPv6 from the router using eg. Tunnel6to4, and get access to the IPv6 Internet from that server, whilst having the rest of my LAN devices on IPv4? If so, how do I go about it? Is it as simple as enabling tunnel6to4 in the router, then just getting an IPv6 from the router, or do I need to configure a tunnel broker like SixXS?

Is it possible to conf. my Linux server to get an IPv6 from the router using eg. Tunnel6to4, and get access to the IPv6 Internet from that server, whilst having the rest of my LAN devices on IPv4? If so, how do I go about it? Is it as simple as enabling tunnel6to4 in the router, then just getting an IPv6 from the router, or do I need to configure a tunnel broker like SixXS?
You need to use a tunnel broker. I use Hurricane Electric (https://tunnelbroker.net/)

thanks. what are the benefits to this? none at all apart from that I get some familiarity with IPv6?

Will the IPv4 part of my router still work in exactly the same way for all other IPv4 devices on my LAN against the IPv4 Internet?

thanks. what are the benefits to this? none at all apart from that I get some familiarity with IPv6?
That's exactly why I set it up on my RT-AC68U. ;)

Will the IPv4 part of my router still work in exactly the same way for all other IPv4 devices on my LAN against the IPv4 Internet?
Yes. But there's a gotcha;

1) You may already be using IPv6 on your LAN. Windows and Linux by default will enable it and create link-local IPv6 address for each network adapter (fe80::x:x:x:x) even when there is no IPv6 internet access.

2) Windows (I don't know about Linux) by default will prefer to use IPv6 over IPv4. So once you enable IPv6 on your router your clients will start using it. This will slow down your internet speeds because of the additional overhead of traffic being routed via the tunnel brokers servers.

Apologies for bumping this topic, but due to COVID-19 I'm working from home where I only have IPv4 and I need to reproduce an issue with an iPhone and an accessory on a mixed IPv4/IPv6 network.

@ColinTaylor How should I configure the IPv6 settings of my AC86U when I want to use Hurricane Electric?

Oops: should have checked the Wiki before posting...

Thank you for posting those links!