What's new

MoCA 2.0 Bonded reality check

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I see your X1 was downgrading your moca setup
Looks like you found the best solution, but just as a note...
It is possible to have two separate moca setups...one 1.1 and a 2.0 on the same cable on different frequencies so long as your splitter lets through high enough frequencies so they don't overlap.
It helps to set encryption on the 2.0 so the 1.1 doesn't connect and downgrade

I see your X1 was downgrading your moca setup
Looks like you found the best solution, but just as a note...
It is possible to have two separate moca setups...one 1.1 and a 2.0 on the same cable on different frequencies so long as your splitter lets through high enough frequencies so they don't overlap.
It helps to set encryption on the 2.0 so the 1.1 doesn't connect and downgrade

I tried setting different frequencies but every time it either reverted to 1150 or locked up moca adapters, requiring a factory reset.

So enabling encryption will help to separate the frequencies?

I tried setting different frequencies but every time it either reverted to 1150 or locked up moca adapters, requiring a factory reset.

If the Mocas work anything like powerline, enabling separate encryptions creates separate networks. So then the 2.0s won't be on the same network as the 1.0s and won't try to revert.

If the Mocas work anything like powerline, enabling separate encryptions creates separate networks. So then the 2.0s won't be on the same network as the 1.0s and won't try to revert.

So I just tried enabling encryption. When the adapters are directly connected, communication is good. When I place them in their intended locations, I get no coax light. I then tried playing with different frequencies, and I’m able to get the coax light to re enable, but speed is really bad, even worse than before.

If you are running 2 moca networks, enabling encryption on the 2.0 will stop 1.0 & 1.1 device’s from connecting.

Your issue sounds like it is a signal strength issue.
I would try the following
-splitter, moca filters, 75 ohm terminating caps, & isolation

I had the same problem with my action tech units changing frequencies. The fix was a new splitter or moca amp depending on the install. The higher the frequency the more trouble it can have getting around lower frequency splitters.

Another thing that can helps is putting moca filters on every leg of the splitter that isn’t using moca & using 75 ohm termination caps on unused ports on the splitter and on unused outlets. The Moca alliance says that these actually reflect the signal which is good in this case. In practice, I’ve seen it improve connection speed by 50%.

If you are still having issues, it may be possible to use a couple splitters
So first a two way splitter going to 2 splitters with moca filters that devide your network.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!